This October Nigeria Becomes First Country to Ban Foreign Models in TV Ads

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Nigeria becomes first country to ban foreign models in TV ads

Omotolani_Victoria_Enwereji.jpg
Miss_Supranational_Nigeria_2013-_Faith_Ogei_2013-05-14_22-59.jpg

In an attempt to develop local talent, Nigeria's advertising regulator has decided to completely ban foreign models and voiceover artists.
The measure will take effect from October. It is expected to boost the prospects of locals in the advertising industry which has a large chunk of white models and British accents.

Steve Babaeko, President of the Association of Advertising Agencies of Nigeria, told The Times, "Britons accounted for about half of models and voiceover artists in Nigerian commercials a couple of decades ago."

Indicating the changing situation in Nigeria with more national sentiments catching up, Babaeko said, "there was “some kind of renaissance in Nigeria” with a “new sense of pride emerging” among young people." Babaeko talked about the renaissance in Nigeria regarding identity and said, "as long as maybe eight years ago, you would notice some kind of renaissance in Nigeria.". He added, " People will tell you, ‘There are about 200 million of us. Are you telling me you could not find indigenous models for this commercial?"
This ban also reflected the underlying national sentiment as projects that were shot abroad or had foreign models faced a backlash.

In order to control the foreign influx, restrictions were already placed in Nigeria with firms having to pay a fee of 100,000-Naira (about $240) for employing any foreign model in their advertisements.

Ad agency AMV BBDO was one of the first firms to welcome this shift and used local models and director to shoot the “Black Shines Brightest” campaign for beer brand Guinness.

TV presenter Bolanle Olukanni explained that the advertising industry is now more indigenous and now adverts rarely feature white models these days. But she pointed out that many were shot in other countries such as Kenya and South Africa.

In 2021, the Nigerian advertising industry was reportedly valued at roughly $450 million.

:salute:

France, South Korea, Italy and Brazil all enforce 'domestic screen quotas' to ensure Hollywood doesn't take over their movie theatres, popular culture and national identity. It's commendable that a Black nation as influential as Nigeria is taking control over their self image and not paying lip service but doing something that is actually transformative.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
In the long run I hope it won't be necessary. In the short term it makes sense cause a lot of that shyt is way too out of control.

I wonder if there are exemptions allowed, such as in spots where one of the roles would specifically make sense to be a foreigner? Or perhaps they're allowed to use talent of other nationalities so long as they live in Nigeria.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite poster's favorite poster.
Indicating the changing situation in Nigeria with more national sentiments catching up, Babaeko said, "there was “some kind of renaissance in Nigeria” with a “new sense of pride emerging” among young people." Babaeko talked about the renaissance in Nigeria regarding identity and said, "as long as maybe eight years ago, you would notice some kind of renaissance in Nigeria.". He added, " People will tell you, ‘There are about 200 million of us. Are you telling me you could not find indigenous models for this commercial?"
I've been saying the young people will be the ones to turn things around there. :blessed:

voiture

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Sounds good on paper but then you come to the realization that Nigeria is almost a failed state and most laws currently on the books don't work or people flat out ignore them.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
I don’t see why this is noteworthy. In many countries, you can only have advertisements with local actors/actresses.

Still, other countries have local content laws to ensure that a certain percentage of music is from their country.

The above might be surprising/new to Americans.

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
Went to Nigeria a few years ago they had a billboard of Chris Evan's selling cell phones shyt was comical