Throwback Classic: Real Live - The Turnaround (K-Def appreciation thread)

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
MI0001973549.jpg

Just threw this album on for the first time in around a decade and frankly this holds up better than a lot of the better known Boom Bap classics.

K-Def was every bit as talented a producer as any of his contemporaries at the time and nothing proved it more than this record, shyt is IMMACULATE top to bottom :whew: If you like The Main Ingredient and any of the Pete Rock/Large Pro material from 93-95 then you have to check this album out for the production alone. Larry-O is more or less like a Jersey version of C.L. and honestly one of the more apt comparisons for this album I can think of is in fact The Main Ingredient. The emceeing and the lyrics themselves are not the star of the show at all but the atmosphere that the lyrics and beats add up to is A1.

It was always weird to me how this album got overlooked, the emceeing is not the best but there are very few boom bap albums from that era that are as well sequenced and produced as this one. At the very least K-Def shoulda been a household name.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I still play this album very few years. The remix with Trag & Pone was crazy too.

K Def is an unsung hero. Still putting out instrumental albums regularly through Redefinition Records too. Just dropped one actually.

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
album is a production masterpiece.

k-def killed it and his beats on here were simply ahead of their time. dude learned well under marley marl.

too bad larry-o was just average, cause a better mc woulda helped make this album classic.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps

"Stayed Away" is very Pete Rockish but I'll be damned if it wouldn't have fit right in on any of Pete Rock's classics :wow:

That World Renowned track is just :whew: all the way around.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I still play this album very few years. The remix with Trag & Pone was crazy too.

K Def is an unsung hero. Still putting out instrumental albums regularly through Redefinition Records too. Just dropped one actually.

:ohhh: what he sounding like these days?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Kinda live instrument-ish. He recreates famous breaks with instrumentation now. He's also unleashed a lot of his vaulted stuff from the 90s. It's all quality of you're in that zone.

This must be from the vault :ohlawd: I'm bout to eat tonight, props