Times you were culture shocked

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
Brehs and brehettes, lets talk about some of the times when you went to different cities or countries and were culture shocked.
1st. Back in grade school seeing white parents, kiss their children in the mouth.
tumblr_inline_ntdxm6Q3b91tslwzc_1280.jpg

2nd. Learning that somalis eat Banana and Rice, i thought they ate boiled green banana like how caribbeans do it. But nah its just ripe yellow banana and rice. I tried it it wasn't bad.
image6.jpg

3rd. White people don't use empty butter containers, and empty ice cream containers as tupper wear
0f180f022b6698382e7b2a5841757ecf.jpg

4th. When i was a kid i was shocked to hear yall call everyone Joe, i mean everyone from mamas, ravdeep at the gyro spot, and bill from lincoln park lol.

5th. What also grabbed my eye was hpw segregated the city was. I remember riding the red light from the south side to the north side and seeing big changes. One minute everyone was black, then thr next everyone was white.

6th. Was in DC/PG county it was a years back visiting my sister. This was the first time i seen bare AA with dreadlocs... Basically everywhere i looked i seen brehs with Locs. Coming from a Jamaican background and i only seen Caribbeans with locs at those times (early 2000s) i assumed you were also Caribbean until i started talking to people on the streets, I realize they weren't caribbean.

Add more fam

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
When I was in Greece and everybody smelled musty. They don't wear deodorant out there.

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
1. I was maybe 16-17. Coming from DC (where image matters, pressed/ tucked) and going to NYC where everyone "did them" with no fukks given towards trends.

2. As a child (7-8) and went to a camp in Vt where I was the only black kid. First time I ever witnessed a kid (cac, of course) talk back to their parents on some disrespectful shyt and the parents did nada. Left me:dwillhuh:.

Last edited:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Going to Sydney Australia and being surprised by the amount of Asians in the country. I always assumed Australia was a lot like Scotland or Ireland.

Last edited:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
1. When I was in the military stationed in Oceanside. Seeing all the interracial couples. I'm from Texas and although I've seen interracial couples before it was never to that extent.

2. When I went Nigeria as a child. Going from living in America with whites, Blacks, Mexicans, etc to nothing but black people. It was beautiful but I didn't appreciate back then like I do now.

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Vail, Colorado. I never seen so much white people in my life. Felt like I was high on drugs looking around and seeing cacs in skiing outfits everywhere. Went to eat at a restaurant and the food was bland and expensive. No seasoning. Ordered a pizza that night and it was also terrible. How do you fukk up pizza?

Sister Mary Clarence

I pronounce us ready to eat. Amen.
Daps
Reppin
Saint Katherine's Convent
Vail, Colorado. I never seen so much white people in my life. Felt like I was high on drugs looking around and seeing cacs in skiing outfits everywhere. Went to eat at a restaurant and the food was bland and expensive. No seasoning. Ordered a pizza that night and it was also terrible. How do you fukk up pizza?

Post/Avi combo. Dap.

I felt it the most when I went to Brazil. The country is beautiful in the tourist spots- being in a light rain while huge waves crash on Ipanema Beach :banderas:

The skateboard culture... it was amazing.

But we got invited to a party in Favela Vidigal :comeon: and for some dumb reason decided to go.

It was at a Hip Hop Community Center- which was a crudely painted, chipped sign on a "building" that had dirt floors and tarps for ceilings. Even though we didn't speak any of the same language, everyone was incredibly kind and just jamming together making music. Despite that welcome, the vibe there feels like something is perpetually about to pop off... just could not relax there. Kids delivering "weed" (black, hard shyt that looked more like shytty hash) on the backs of scooters, streets pitch black due to lack of lighting... Brazilians we met there told us about the police state there, how they have a unit that is somewhere between the cops and military that can do whatever the fukk they want in the ghettos there. Shoot you for buying a joint. Wish I had known that before I got the South American Scooter Special bag.

Batalhão de Operações Policiais Especiais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BOPE has generated notoriety due their role in the violent drug war in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro and they have been referred to as a "Death Squad" by multiple newspapers.[4][5][6] One aspect that has been pointed out specifically is their logo, which bears a knife in a skull over crossed pistols.

Amnesty International declared that "the police forces in Brazil adopt violent and repressive methods. These cause violations of fundamental rights of large parts of the population on a regular basis",[10] and attributes a certain number of killed civilians to BOPE in particular. In March 2006, Amnesty International specifically condemned the use of vans with armoured plating, known as a Caveirão. It stated that deploying the vehicle aggressively, indiscriminately targeting whole communities, highlighted the ineffectiveness of excessive use of force.[11]

There are TONS of street children there too. We'd be walking around and camps of kids were just on the side of the street, with them calling out "aqua". shyt was so sad. They also have glue addictions, and will rob the shyt out of you to fund it. I was being a dumb ass tourist and set my camera down on the bench at a bus stop for about 2 seconds and my friend called over to me. I snap out of my day dream and notice a pack of dead-eyed kids approaching me, just staring me in the eyes expressionless and walking slowly towards me. I was confused as fukk then remembered my camera, grabbed it and got tf out of there.

kids-1433171598.jpg

:sadcam: