Training boxing or MMA - what do you prefer?

JKO123

Banned
Daps
What are the pros/cons of each?

What would you make a child of yours train in?

Daps
I mean there is no such thing as mma vs boxing. Someone who trains in mma would train boxing as well. But personally, I see no use in learning to wrestle and having a ground game, in terms of real world self defense so I would advise boxing unless you enjoy holding on to other men like that or are trying to become a professional fighter...If I had a child it depends, I might have him learn how to wrestle and box and see which one sticks.
Believe me every fight I've ever had has gone to ground

this is not a good argument

As for OP learn boxing first then MMA because you'll need the fundamentals

But I'd quickly move onto MMA

I can't do either right now but I was Boxing for a few weeks until I fukked my shoulder up sparring before I couldn't go full MMA because of a myriad of injuries

JKO123

Banned
Daps
Believe me every fight I've ever had has gone to ground

this is not a good argument

As for OP learn boxing first then MMA because you'll need the fundamentals

But I'd quickly move onto MMA

I can't do either right now but I was Boxing for a few weeks until I fukked my shoulder up sparring before I couldn't go full MMA because of a myriad of injuries
How long boxing?

Instead of boxing, can't you do muay thai? Or can't you do a combination of everything at the MMA gym?

Daps
Yeah and I've seen fights that went to the ground where a mf got his head kicked in by 5 dudes. But purposely reduce your mobility and visibility in these streets because you never been in the mix with wolves that dont give af.
well if we're talking 1 on 5:ld: you've got a point I did have a fight 2 on 1 like that that I can't remember but I did not have the option to box them because they were wearing moped helmets at the time so I just tackled one into his moped I was completely drunk during the ambush

Daps
How long boxing?

Instead of boxing, can't you do muay thai? Or can't you do a combination of everything at the MMA gym?
I can

I just thought let's take baby steps first get the fundamentals up also can't really use my legs with this lumbar and knee issues I have right now

JKO123

Banned
Daps
I can

I just thought let's take baby steps first get the fundamentals up also can't really use my legs with this lumbar and knee issues I have right now
I don't think you need to start off as a boxer. You can go straight into MMA and take muay thai/BJJ/wrestling lessons.

Daps
I mean it's not even 1 on 5, my mentality is you can never assume to know how many mfs about to get in the mix in a fight and if I know it's about to be a one on one for real, just throw hands like some men and dap it up.
I go for the takedown if a dude is significantly taller to negate reach advantage if he's tall and stocky well then it's a bit of a problem:francis:

Daps
Both are a great way to get in fighting condition. I been boxing for 22 years and respect the shyt out of MMA training. Muay Thai, The art of 8 limbs is slept on in the hood but that is also another killer way to get in shape and learn to defend yourself.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
BJJ because the self defense aspect hits home for me so much quicker..

Try to get into distance to punch me and I'm taking you to the ground...and when you're on the ground you're hopeless...

It's dozens of videos of this happening but brehs don't wanna listen.

Grapplers have the advantage over punchers....especially when they know submissions and chokes.

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boxing is an asprct of MMA. MMA isn't a thing, it's a combination of whatever arts you want. I love Muay Thai, however, it's just not that pratical outside of a ring and even the super fancy moves are only good for actual Muay Thai matches. Unless you wear shorts or super loose pants 24/7.

Boxing has superior footwork. The effecieny of a quick and solid punch is all you need.

A solid base of Boxing + BJJ or Wrestling is tough to beat in the octagon. You can always combine aspects of Muay Thai like the front kick and elbow/knee to become well rounded with striking. Most ppl want to learn all of these fancy strikes yet can barely get off a solid jab.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How is mt not practical outside the ring, it's practically boxing nikka, with knees and kicks