Trump picks Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as new national security adviser

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
(CNN)President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn.

McMaster, the head of the Army Capabilities Integration Center, will become one of Trump's top national security and foreign policy advisers, taking the helm of the White House's National Security Council, which was left rudderless after Flynn was forced to resign after just 24 days on the job.
Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council.

Trump announced his decision Monday seated alongside McMaster and Kellogg at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida, where a day earlier he interviewed McMaster and several other candidates for the national security adviser post.

"He is a man of tremendous talent and tremendous experience," Trump said of McMaster. "I watched and read a lot over the last two days. He is highly respected by everybody in the military, and we're very honored to have him."

McMaster called the appointment a privilege and said he looks forward to doing "everything I can to advance and protect the interests of the American people."

McMaster was not Trump's first choice to assume the role of national security adviser. Trump initially offered the position last week to retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward, who turned it down amid concerns about how the White House was being run, sources told CNN last week.

The search for a new national security adviser was sparked by a report that revealed Flynn had discussed sanctions with Russia's ambassador to the US, Sergei Kislyak, before the Trump administration came into office and did not disclose that detail of the conversation to Vice President Mike Pence. Trump said he fired Flynn because of his failure to disclose those details to Pence, but not because of the conversation itself with the Russian ambassador.

mcmaster-ap_17051722575985_custom-fb042a31a07f2ebafa68992226a38057775cb04f-s900-c85.jpg

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I know nothing about this guy.

What's the angle here?
I read somewhere that McMaster is active military so he had no choice but to accept the role

and theirs also rumors about him being controversial and having a do it my own way mentality in the army, which a guy like trump might like

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Feel kinda bad for him...not sure how true it is that he didn't have a choice because he's active duty.

Met him a few times when he was the Commanding General of the MCoE at Ft. Benning. Smart, high energy, 'rah, rah' kinda guy. Really loved his job there, and seemed like a rising star in the Army. Even made Time Magazines list of top 100 influential people. Now he'll be tied to the incompetence and dysfunction of a Trump administration.

Really respect that he bucked the 'old' system, did it 'his way' and still made three stars. Kind of sad that he may now never get the 4th because he'll probably just be a suit to enable Trump's agenda. Even Petraeus' dumb ass had enough sense to decline the post...

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
I'm still waiting on Trump's plan to defeat ISIS. Until then, :coffee:

The sad thing is that he probably won't have to do much. Obama and Iraqi forces set the wheels turning towards pushing ISIS back, at least in Iraq.

More than likely the current military plan put in place under Obama will probably see them "defeated" at least to the point of impotence.

So some point down the line Trump will probably claim credit for this.