U.S. Accuses Tech Firm Palantir of Bias Against Asian Engineers

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Finally found the article that articulated why Asian Americans are ''discriminated'' against in the California school system.
This is straight from a College Admission Officer. No amount of spin or intellectual dishonesty can deny this.
The article is long, but l've pasted a few choice paragraphs about why Asians are receiving backlash in STEM employment.

Asian Immigrants and What No One Mentions Aloud

Excerpts...

....The universities look at the resumes of all Asian kids—recent immigrants, long-established natives, nationals—and know that many of them are fraudulent. They know that many of the kids they accept will not be able to function on their campus, whereas others will be able to get great grades so long as they cheat. They know that many of the students don’t have the inquisitive mind, genuine interest in intellectual pursuits that universities like to see in students (or pretend they do). But the universities want the great, if often fraudulent, stats to puff up their numbers for the rankings systems, to offset the athlete, the legacies (for privates), and the Kashawn Campbells (for publics). And so they try to minimize it, while still getting what they want—an improved profile, out of state fees for four years, instead of just one, while not overloading the campus with too many Asians....

... the cheating I describe perpetuates two frauds. The first, of course, benefits the cheaters and their schools at both high school and university level. But the second perpetuates a much larger misconception: People really believe that our top high school students are taking ten-twelve AP courses during their high school year, maintaining 4.5 GPAs, and have the underlying knowledge one would expect from such study. But this almost certainly isn’t true. And once you understand the reality, it’s hard not to wonder about all the “weeding out courses” in organic chemistry and other brutal STEM college courses, the ones that Americans are abandoning in large numbers. The willingness to accept the cheating, to slap it on the wrist if that, is leading to lies that convince a lot of American kids that they aren’t smart enough for tough courses because they don’t cheat and aren’t aware that others are....

...No one is going to pay any attention to this problem. Usually, Republicans/conservatives are willing to point out that supposedly racist beliefs are founded in valid stereotypes, and I find it pretty fascinating that they are practically gleeful about the discrimination against Asians, not because they approve, but because of what they see it revealing about Asian superiority, chortling at the need for “affirmative action for whites”, practically spiking the ball in their declarations that whites just aren’t up for the task of competing in a global market. I was originally confused, but have concluded that any reason to razz white liberals for racism is too good to be missed. Plus, reformers jump on the bandwagon because they think the news will help them convince whites that American schools suck. Others, like Charles Murray, are simply bothered by the lack of consistent standards. Liberals just ignore the news...

Affirmative Action quotas mainly helped White females and Blacks who came from immigrant (African and Caribbean) families or multigenerational Black middle class homes(think the Issa Rae and Russell Wilson types), especially at top schools. These types would fare will fare well without the quotas. They can always find a 2nd or 3rd choice school. Just as Chinese Asians students have an economic/educational advantage over those that come from a Filipino household. The "Pookie and Ray Ray" demographic barely have a chance in hell with quotas and athletics. Unfortunately multigenerational low-income Blacks generally do not come from a culture that promotes learning or had adequate primary education to prepare them to compete at a university level or a global workforce. Also the same for Latinos, the middle class are the ones that can meet the requirements for admission.

Are the College Students Who Need Affirmative Action Getting It?

Aside: Something needs to be done in removing the economically disadvantaged kids out of generational ignorance and poverty.

Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Affirmative Action quotas mainly helped White females and Blacks who came from immigrant (African and Caribbean) families or multigenerational Black middle class homes(think the Issa Rae and Russell Wilson types), especially at top schools. These types would fare will fare well without the quotas. They can always find a 2nd or 3rd choice school. Just as Chinese Asians students have an economic/educational advantage over those that come from a Filipino household. The "Pookie and Ray Ray" demographic barely have a chance in hell with quotas and athletics. Unfortunately multigenerational low-income Blacks generally do not come from a culture that promotes learning or had adequate primary education to prepare them to compete at a university level or a global workforce. Also the same for Latinos, the middle class are the ones that can meet the requirements for admission.

Are the College Students Who Need Affirmative Action Getting It?

Aside: Something needs to be done in removing the economically disadvantaged kids out of generational ignorance and poverty.

I agree with most of your viewpoint about Affirmative Action.
Although saying affirmative action slots were taken up by black middle class is the same as saying Affirmative Action wasn't needed in the first place.
This doesn't explain the dramatic drop in attendance by black minorities.

Last edited:

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
I agree with most of your viewpoint about Affirmative Action.
Although saying affirmative action slots were taken up by black middle class is the same as saying Affirmative Action wasn't needed in the first place.
This doesn't explain the dramatic drop in attendance by black minorities.
Yes it does. Review the link that I provided and there is an article explaining the ban in California colleges and the drop in black and latino enrollement vs states like Florida and Texas colleges...with a large Black/Latino populations with the same ban.

Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Yes it does. Review the link that I provided and there is an article explaining the ban in California colleges and the drop in black and latino enrollement vs states like Florida and Texas colleges...with a large Black/Latino populations with the same ban.

Excerpt...

California’s elite public universities saw an exodus of African Americans leave following affirmative action’s statewide ban. Before Proposition 209’s implementation, UCB’s entering class was 6.5% African American. A decade later in 2005, the percentage of blacks among the school’s freshman class dipped to just below 3%. At the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the percentage of black freshman decreased from 7.3% in 1995 to 2.7% in 2005.

Texas and Florida universities saw less of a decrease among new African American students. In Texas the percentage of African American freshman declined by only .51% between 1995 and 2002. Three years later, the percentage of black freshman actually went up by about 1.7%. That’s because the state adopted a program that guaranteed admission to students in the Top 10 percent of their classes. Florida proved even more generous, guaranteeing admission to high school students in the Top 20 percent of their classes.

Excerpt End.

OP it's great you found counter examples showing black minorities thriving in different states without Affirmative Action.

The problem is that California doesn't have similar programs implemented and thus irrelevant to the context of your own thread.

Or are these African Americans located across the country supposed to move to silicon valley to replace native black Californians?

It doesn't explain Asian-American hypocrisy or efforts to game entrance criteria to the detriment of others.

Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Thread Update Palantir Response:

Palantir Responds to Labor Department's Discrimination Lawsuit

Excerpt...

According to its filing, 37% of its product engineering team and 25% of its total workforce is Asian. While that doesn’t necessarily preclude discrimination, it does make an interesting point: Asian employees in Silicon Valley, at least among the engineering ranks, are actually over-represented. Women and other minorities, meanwhile, are not.

Excerpt End.

Patricia Shiu is a damn moron, but l admire that she looks out for her people.

Like l said, Asians are trying to monopolize Silicon Valley.

This discrimination lawsuit will fail, but will serve as a warning to others to keep Asian employment numbers high.

Last edited:

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Holy shyt do you realize Asians make up literally the smallest minority in this country and have the least political sway?! Don't look to politicians my dude, look to civil activists. If you read up on the history of the Panthers you will find they have worked with Asians numerous times. Bro why the fukk do you kee acting like Asians want solidarity solely for selfish gain. Does it not process into your mind that some Asian people are truly empathetic people who just want to fukking get along?

And exactly... that would be nice...
:mjlol: so spying on us for ur white daddy is working with us?Man who armed Black Panthers was FBI informant, records show

Richard Aoki - Wikipedia

Ima tell u nikkas this one more time, and u still wont get it. We are on our own!!! If the white man was gone tomorrow u think things would get better? No!! We would all try to get on top and thats a fact. Dont trust anyone else outside the community. Ever!!!

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Excerpt...

California’s elite public universities saw an exodus of African Americans leave following affirmative action’s statewide ban. Before Proposition 209’s implementation, UCB’s entering class was 6.5% African American. A decade later in 2005, the percentage of blacks among the school’s freshman class dipped to just below 3%. At the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the percentage of black freshman decreased from 7.3% in 1995 to 2.7% in 2005.

Texas and Florida universities saw less of a decrease among new African American students. In Texas the percentage of African American freshman declined by only .51% between 1995 and 2002. Three years later, the percentage of black freshman actually went up by about 1.7%. That’s because the state adopted a program that guaranteed admission to students in the Top 10 percent of their classes. Florida proved even more generous, guaranteeing admission to high school students in the Top 20 percent of their classes.

Excerpt End.

OP it's great you found counter examples showing black minorities thriving in different states without Affirmative Action.

The problem is that California doesn't have similar programs implemented and thus irrelevant to the context of your own thread.

Or are these African Americans located across the country supposed to move to silicon valley to replace native black Californians?

It doesn't explain Asian-American hypocrisy or efforts to game entrance criteria to the detriment of others.

I do not see it as a problem. California colleges are elite and I don't think they should expand their criteria for entry like Texas and Florida. It's admirable that these states guarantee admission for the top 10-20% of students even if they are from shyt schools or failing districts who meet minimum entry requirements. Should not be the standard. Perhaps there should be more programs and investment at the primary level so students can compete at a collegiate level, but generally students who excel come from a culture that promotes learning and have had coaching and preparation outside of school. Corporations and even startups do not want employees who are average; they want innovators and those who excel from competitive environments. California has great university transfer programs, I know some peers who transferred from Grossmont College to UCSD and San Diego State. Transfer programs allow people who can't afford college or need extra time to prepare for a competitive academic setting to do so. Perhaps California minorities should look at other options as California community college get higher priority than out of state or 4 year transfers. Can always transfer in and change your major. California colleges less hand holding like many others which is why America is behind in education globally.

And Asians have the right (as anyone else) to protest if they feel slighted. If they have worked hard (or cheated) to excel, then someone doing the minimum or slightly above average shouldn't get a pass. The the ban also affected White students.

I'd rather harp on these black parents who are more in tuned with Black Twitter or Coli reps than their children's academic future. Instead of black and latino kids at math and reading labs you have activities the below and wonder why they fall behind. Life is a competition.

Black and minority children watch almost 50 per cent more TV per day than whites (and almost 90% have sets in their bedrooms), study finds | Daily Mail Online

Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I do not see it as a problem. California colleges are elite and I don't think they should expand their criteria for entry like Texas and Florida. It's admirable that these states guarantee admission for the top 10-20% of students even if they are from shyt schools or failing districts who meet minimum entry requirements. Should not be the standard. Perhaps there should be more programs and investment at the primary level so students can compete at a collegiate level, but generally students who excel come from a culture that promotes learning and have had coaching and preparation outside of school. Corporations and even startups do not want employees who are average; they want innovators and those who excel from competitive environments. California has great university transfer programs, I know some peers who transferred from Grossmont College to UCSD and San Diego State. Transfer programs allow people who can't afford college or need extra time to prepare for a competitive academic setting to do so. Perhaps California minorities should look at other options as California community college get higher priority than out of state or 4 year transfers. Can always transfer in and change your major. California colleges less hand holding like many others which is why America is behind in education globally.

And Asians have the right (as anyone else) to protest if they feel slighted. If they have worked hard (or cheated) to excel, then someone doing the minimum or slightly above average shouldn't get a pass. The the ban also affected White students.

I'd rather harp on these black parents who are more in tuned with Black Twitter or Coli reps than their children's academic future. Instead of black and latino kids at math and reading labs you have activities the below and wonder why they fall behind. Life is a competition.

Black and minority children watch almost 50 per cent more TV per day than whites (and almost 90% have sets in their bedrooms), study finds | Daily Mail Online

Nothing wrong with your viewpoint and l agree with it. Black culture does need to improve.

I myself went the shyt highschool/community college/public university route on the way to my Engineering Degree.

What l'm not seeing in the matter is consistency.

If Elite California Colleges don't want 'average' students then why force Elite Silicon Valley companies to accept 'average' engineers.

They clearly didn't have the skill-set Palantir was looking for, but Asians still lobbied complaints based on race.

If your going implement Academic Darwinism don't get mad when it migrates to the very companies these Colleges are supplying employees to.

That's the flip-flop shyt l can't get behind.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Nothing wrong with your viewpoint and l agree with it. Black culture does need to improve.

I myself went the shyt highschool/community college/public university route on the way to my Engineering Degree.

What l'm not seeing in the matter is consistency.

If Elite California Colleges don't want 'average' students then why force Elite Silicon Valley companies to accept 'average' engineers.

They clearly didn't have the skill-set Palantir was looking for, but Asians still lobbied complaints based on race.

If your going implement Academic Darwinism don't get mad when it migrates to the very companies these Colleges are supplying employees to.

That's the flip-flop shyt l can't get behind.

Glad you were able to navigate life.

Its not the skill set. Plantir works with intel and there have been leaks with other companies from some Chinese nationals. It's discriminatory to not hire people on the basis of their ethnicity in the work place and besides Asians are more qualified than most as they have better academic records and the highest percentage of post secondary education.

This is not college but the corporate world where experience and education matter, which Asians have. If Plantir is chucking resumes with the names Lam, Lee, Ming etc. in the trash because of a security breach that happened by a person of Asian descent that is discriminatory, unethical and illegal. Applicants are making it to the second stage to the phone interviews but are not getting hired. Aside: No different if Booz Allen flagged resumes and screened phone interviews of English surnames like Snowden because of the PRISM leaks; most known breaches/leaks are by people of European descent or even German names like Robert Hanssen. There are plenty of moral qualified multigenerational Asian families in California who should not be discriminated against.

I really don't understand why Coli users don't get this and why every post about Asians turns into an inverse st0rmfr0nt debate with arguments that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Glad you were able to navigate life.

Its not the skill set. Plantir works with intel and there have been leaks with other companies from some Chinese nationals. It's discriminatory to not hire people on the basis of their ethnicity in the work place and besides Asians are more qualified than most as they have better academic records and the highest percentage of post secondary education.

This is not college but the corporate world where experience and education matter, which Asians have. If Plantir is chucking resumes with the names Lam, Lee, Ming etc. in the trash because of a security breach that happened by a person of Asian descent that is discriminatory, unethical and illegal. Applicants are making it to the second stage to the phone interviews but are not getting hired. Aside: No different if Booz Allen flagged resumes and screened phone interviews of English surnames like Snowden because of the PRISM leaks; most known breaches/leaks are by people of European descent or even German names like Robert Hanssen. There are plenty of moral qualified multigenerational Asian families in California who should not be discriminated against.

I really don't understand why Coli users don't get this and why every post about Asians turns into an inverse st0rmfr0nt debate with arguments that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Several Points:

The security leaks being the cause are outside speculation.

Asians are 25% of the entire company and 37% of the engineering department they are applying to.

The lawsuit is a fail for suing a data analysis company without all the facts.

In the engineering field, such heavy emphasis on GPA is frowned upon. It's what you can innovate and patent.

Silicon Valley supposedly is the country's crown jewel for meritocracy so race matters less as Asians are finding out.

Continental Africans are America's highest percentage of post-secondary education not Asians.

They can't have it both ways. No one will cosign that except Asians themselves.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Several Points:

The security leaks being the cause are outside speculation.

Asians are 25% of the entire company and 37% of the engineering department they are applying to.

The lawsuit is a fail for suing a data analysis company without all the facts.

In the engineering field, such heavy emphasis on GPA is frowned upon. It's what you can innovate and patent.

Silicon Valley supposedly is the country's crown jewel for meritocracy so race matters less as Asians are finding out.

Continental Africans are America's highest percentage of post-secondary education not Asians.

They can't have it both ways. No one will cosign that except Asians themselves.

Doesn't matter Asian if they are 100%. They are 33% of San Francisco city anyway. The point is that they feel they are being discriminated against due to their race and have every right to contest. Also they are the highest earners of masters degrees in STEM for minorities. Lets not go back and forth and agree to disagree. I see no problem with the suit and the Labor Department tried to get Plantir to comply before this and they did not. We will see what the investigation brings forth.

Kudos to the Asians for planning their families, preparing their children and fighting for equality. The best technologies to fight this systems are strong families and networks. Others should take note particularly Black Americans.

Concerning degree allocation:
Over 3 million degrees were awarded by colleges and universities in 2008, of which 51 percent were bachelor's degrees. Within each racial/ethnic group, more females than males received degrees. Over twice as many Black females received degrees as Black males (indicator 26.1). Business was the most popular field of study for recipients of bachelor's degrees in 2008 for all racial/ethnic groups. Of all racial/ethnic groups, Blacks had the highest percentage of bachelor's degrees awarded in business (25 percent) and the lowest percentage of degrees awarded in engineering and engineering technologies (indicator 26.2). Asian recipients of master's degrees had a higher percentage awarded in engineering and engineering technologies, computer and information sciences and support services, and biological and biomedical sciences than any other racial/ethnic group.

Also there is an excel showing that Asians are the largest minorities of STEM post secondary degrees below. Freeze row 4 to make it easier to follow.
Number and percentage distribution of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degrees/certificates conferred by postsecondary institutions, by race/ethnicity, level of degree/certificate, and sex of student: 2008-09 through 2012-13

Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
@Jimi Swagger

OP, surely you didn't counter the facts of the case with "it doesn't matter" in regards to actual employment numbers.

Asians will never monopolize Silicon Valley just because they are 33% of San Fransico. Meritocracy remember?

I don't feel like going back and forth either, but l could pull more stats when l get home too.

Your starting to venture into Black vs Asian culture right?

What good is a tech degree if it's not respected? It is specifically an Asian problem as my previous link shows.

Asian culture has some good things going in regards to discipline and family structure. They ruined their own positive stereotype about being intelligent (California Colleges/Silicon valley).

I'm not sure why your surprised that we don't worship Asians here. You may have the last word.