U.S. COURT RULING YOU CAN BE “TOO SMART” TO BE A COP

Jesus Bhrist

All Star
Daps
Back in the year 2000, Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, scored a 33 on an intelligence test he took as part of the application process to become a police officer in the town of New London, Connecticut. The score meant Jordan had an IQ of 125.

The average score for police officers was a 21-22, or an IQ of 104. New London would only interview candidates who scored between 20 and 27.

Jordan sued the city alleging discrimination, but the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld that it wasn’t discrimination. “Why?” you might ask. Because New London Police Department applied the same standard to everyone who applied to be a cop there.

And the theory behind it?

“Those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training,”

:ohhh: Could this explain all the state sanctioned murders of unarmed Black men women & children over the last few decades, clearly they are hiring people who are incapable of upholding the constitution & using proper discernment when engaging with civilians, de-escalating situations instead of agitating these interactions with their preconceived racial biases towards blacks and minorities, I wonder why this hasn’t been brought up in mainstream media
discussions about police brutality, what do you think brehs

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
:ohhh: Could this explain all the state sanctioned murders of unarmed Black men women & children over the last few decades, clearly they are hiring people who are incapable of upholding the constitution & using proper discernment when engaging with civilians, de-escalating situations instead of agitating these interactions with their preconceived racial biases towards blacks and minorities, I wonder why this hasn’t been brought up in mainstream media
discussions about police brutality, what do you think brehs

Fam cops in America were designed to kill nikkas regardless of their intellect level. I don't care how smart or dumb a cop it is if they want to change shyt all they have to do is start punishing cops and the whole culture will change.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
To answer the question about the brutality issues...NO...Current police culture exists the way it does because there are no long term repurcussions for cops that profile, humiliate, abuse,hurt and kill Black people.

Cop is a dangerous job, it is NOT going to attract the smartest people(who could make an easier living doing something else)

=======
In terms of the ruling of the court in this story.....?
Costly training?
Police Academy lasts how long? The facilities already exist, the instuctors are on salary. The materials and equipment are already paid for.

I think the cap on "ideal score range" for cops is meant to protect the current top brass from people who would fast track to the top of the ranks.
Also think higher IQ candidates would be less willing to follow instructions and more likely to challenge authority.

Does anybody know what the military does with people who score at the top of the exams for enlisted men?
I assume they don't reject them and steer them towards fields where their natural intelligence can benefit that branch.

Megadeus

Superstar
Daps
Fam cops in America were designed to kill nikkas regardless of their intellect level. I don't care how smart or dumb a cop it is if they want to change shyt all they have to do is start punishing cops and the whole culture will change.

It certainly doesn't help to have morons with guns running around though.

Theres no one-step cure for all this. If they were to increase the IQ cutoffs to become a cop I'd be all for it. Some parts of other countries require you to pursue a law degree just to become an official member of the force.

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
It certainly doesn't help to have morons with guns running around though.

Theres no one-step cure for all this. If they were to increase the IQ cutoffs to become a cop I'd be all for it. Some parts of other countries require you to pursue a law degree just to become an official member of the force.
but you'll probably realize sooner or later that IQ =/= empathy and you can still be a horrible person even if you're intelligent. It's actually a lot worse if someone is has a high IQ but devious intentions. They can scheme a lot better.

Jesus Bhrist

All Star
Daps

Of course I know that FAM, I just seen an article about a Detroit police officer getting fired for posting a picture on snap with a caption about dealing with zoo animals, it made me question his intellect, as a white police officer working in a predominantly black city in this current political climate, it’s clear he’s not that intelligent, which led me to this federal court ruling & I was right about my suspicions, that they are intentionally hiring racist suspected white supremacist cops with lower IQs to deal with us in our communities

Brolic Scholar

Licensed Text Technician
Daps
Reppin
Unknown Side Effects
To answer the question about the brutality issues...NO...Current police culture exists the way it does because there are no long term repurcussions for cops that profile, humiliate, abuse,hurt and kill Black people.

Cop is a dangerous job, it is NOT going to attract the smartest people(who could make an easier living doing something else)

=======
In terms of the ruling of the court in this story.....?
Costly training?
Police Academy lasts how long? The facilities already exist, the instuctors are on salary. The materials and equipment are already paid for.

I think the cap on "ideal score range" for cops is meant to protect the current top brass from people who would fast track to the top of the ranks.
Also think higher IQ candidates would be less willing to follow instructions and more likely to challenge authority.

Does anybody know what the military does with people who score at the top of the exams for enlisted men?
I assume they don't reject them and steer them towards fields where their natural intelligence can benefit that branch.

In my case, they asked if I wanted to learn to be on a nuclear submarine. Some kind of tech job. I said no. I’m assuming they steer those people to technical fields.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
In my case, they asked if I wanted to learn to be on a nuclear submarine. Some kind of tech job. I said no. I’m assuming they steer those people to technical fields.
Thanks.I have friends who enlisted, those who did ROTC, and who went to the services academies

You tested highly, you didn't turn down the tech fields to become a grunt, did you?

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
:patrice:I thought they make the high IQ cops Detectives.
You watch to much law and order lol. In most departments its not unusual to go back and fourth between detective and patrol its just different duties. Also this is no surprise.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town

Reminds me of when I was in high school, our counselors told the seniors to take the ASVAB test as preparation for the ACT. Just another way to steer black students at an all black school into the military, but that’s another topic. Anyway, I scored high on it, and recruiters kept calling me and even taking me out of class to try to convince me to join the military, telling me I would go in as a lieutenant or something like that. I repeatedly told them no and tried my best to avoid them if I saw one of these recruiters walking in the building; I’d turn the opposite direction. Eventually they left me alone.