UFC 226 [7/7] “Clash Of The Champions” (Miocic/Cormier, Holloway Pulls Out, Ngannou/Lewis)

Who Wins Saturday Night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Event: UFC 226: “Miocic vs Cormier”
Date: Sat., July 7, 2018
Broadcast: Pay-Per-View (PPV), FOX Sports 1, UFC Fight Pass

UFC 226 PPV Main Event:

265 lbs.: UFC Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic vs. UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier

UFC 226 PPV Main Card (10 p.m. ET):

265 lbs.: Derrick Lewis vs. Francis Ngannou
155 lbs.: Michael Chiesa vs. Anthony Pettis
205 lbs.: Khalil Rountree vs. Gokhan Saki

UFC 226 FOX Sports 1 Prelims (8 p.m. ET):

185 lbs.: Paulo Costa vs. Uriah Hall
170 lbs.: Yancy Medeiros vs. Mike Perry
135 lbs.: Raphael Assuncao vs. Rob Font
170 lbs.: Max Griffin vs. Curtis Millender

UFC 226 Fight Pass Prelims (6:30 p.m. ET):

155 lbs.: Gilbert Burns vs. Dan Hooker
115 lbs.: Jamie Moyle vs. Emily Whitmire
155 lbs.: Drakkar Close vs. Lando Vannata

DC’s about to kill off whatever’s left of Cleveland’s spirit

Qw7nItU.png

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
As a jiu-jitsu head I'd really love to see Ortega take this one, but I can't help but think that Max is just too big a task so far. I'd love to have seen Ortega take one (or maybe two) more fight before this one. My heart says Ortega via one of his 'triple threat' series subs (guillotine/darce/anaconda) but my head says Holloway by decision or possibly TKO in the later rounds. I think this fight mostly plays itself out on the feet unless Ortega can get a standing front headlock or flying triangle and and take it to the floor. The problem with the triple threat series for Ortega is that the guillotine seems to be his best weapon of the series, and it's also probably Max's best sub, so Max is good at guillotine defense.

For the main event I really think DC is gonna take it. I know Stipe is awesome and he's got a size advantage, but I think DC is just a more technical fighter by a decent margin, and I think DC's overall 'betterness' as a fighter will trump the size advantage of Stipe. I just believe the better fighter wins in most situations, and DC is a better fighter IMHO. No disrespect to Stipe.

EDIT: Also as an interesting fact. Cub Swanson has lost to both Max Holloway and Brian Ortega via guillotine choke right before the final minute of the round.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
How can DC beat Miocic ? Isn't Stipe also a former wrestler ? I can't see how can dude win this tbf.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
How can DC beat Miocic ? Isn't Stipe also a former wrestler ? I can't see how can dude win this tbf.

Miocic has looked vulnerable previously when hes been hurt, but you know them Slav brehs, they extra tough. And hes been able to wait it out and the other fighters get gassed and hes finished them since his last loss. DC use to fighting taller guys and at HW, also he has a better engine than anyone Miocic has fought. Miocic does have the reach advantage which Jones had.
The only 2 guys to really give DC problems was Jones and Guff and their reach was like 7-12 inchs bigger than DC but Miocic aint as athletic as Jones/Guff are/were so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Stipe was a good wrestler at a fringe D1 school. DC was a legend at a wrestling powerhouse in college and the captain of the US Olympic Team. He’s legitimately considered one of the best of all time in amateur wrestling.

Stipe is a good fighter on a great run, but he hasn’t fought anyone the caliber of DC during his winning streak. Nothing against Hunt, Werdum, Reem, Arlovski, Ngannou, and JDS. But DC is at a different level. I don’t think Stipe is athletic enough to beat him.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Yeah the resumes don’t add up between the 2 fighters. Stipe has low key been fighting soccer dads compared to who DC been fighting...

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a jiu-jitsu head I'd really love to see Ortega take this one, but I can't help but think that Max is just too big a task so far. I'd love to have seen Ortega take one (or maybe two) more fight before this one. My heart says Ortega via one of his 'triple threat' series subs (guillotine/darce/anaconda) but my head says Holloway by decision or possibly TKO in the later rounds. I think this fight mostly plays itself out on the feet unless Ortega can get a standing front headlock or flying triangle and and take it to the floor. The problem with the triple threat series for Ortega is that the guillotine seems to be his best weapon of the series, and it's also probably Max's best sub, so Max is good at guillotine defense.

For the main event I really think DC is gonna take it. I know Stipe is awesome and he's got a size advantage, but I think DC is just a more technical fighter by a decent margin, and I think DC's overall 'betterness' as a fighter will trump the size advantage of Stipe. I just believe the better fighter wins in most situations, and DC is a better fighter IMHO. No disrespect to Stipe.

EDIT: Also as an interesting fact. Cub Swanson has lost to both Max Holloway and Brian Ortega via guillotine choke right before the final minute of the round.

Max has the volume, yet don't sleep on Ortega's hands. His boxing is underrated, and he has been doing it for a long time.

That fight is a coin toss for me, very hard to predict.