Unsung Wrestlers 1: Bobo Brazil

James Dean

All Star
Daps
bobobrazil.jpg

Been doing some research on some forgotten wrestlers of the business. So I figure I'd do a write up and spread some cool history. Will do these over time.

BirthPlace: Little Rock, Arkansas 7/10/24
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 264lbs
Trained By: Joe Savoldi
Debut: 1951
Retired: 1993
Style: Brawler
Finisher/Signature: Coco Butt & Elbow Smash
Titles & Accomplishments: NWA & WWE HOF Inductee. Held titles in the various AWA, NWA, WWWF & WWA promotions.
Death: St. Joseph, Michigan 1/20/98 Strokes

The "Jackie Robinson of professional wrestling"

Before wrestling Bobo was an avid player of Baseball and worked in a steelmill.

Bobo got his wrestling start sometime in 1951. Bobo was trained by Joe Savoldi. Who discovered Bobo while Bobo competed in matches at the Naval Armory. Bobo name derives from his original ring name name of Boo-Boo Brazil. A promoter had miswrote his name and they liked it so much that they decided to run with the name BoBo insted of Boo-Boo. He was widely regarded as one of the first black athletes to gain success of his time.

Bobo was the first ever African American to win the NWA World title when he defeated Buddy Rodgers on August 18, 1962 . However, NWA never recognized this win or the changes between Rodgers, Brazil, and Kowalski at House shows for this time period. Technically Bobo held the title for 73 Days He was also the first ever and first African American WWWF United States Champion. That of which he won at an house show in California on April 6, 1963. He held this title for 63 days.

Bobo was a mentor to Rocky Johnson and was managed by James Dudley (who also was a man of firsts for the Black Community) Bobo retired in 1993 after competing for 40 years. His last match was against Kelly Kiniski in Chicago, Illinois. After wrestling, he ran a restaurant and focused on being a family man. As he was a husband and father of 6 kids.

Bobo would pass away five years later on January 20, 1998 in St. Joseph, Michigan after a series strokes. He was cremated.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I like and respect how meltzer is the only one who brings him up...like when people say Ron Simmons was the first black champion meltzer immediately says "not really true because Bobo Brazil..." Not to take anything away from Simmons but if we wax poetic about buddy Rogers you gotta do the same thing about brazil

James Dean

All Star
Daps
I like and respect how meltzer is the only one who brings him up...like when people say Ron Simmons was the first black champion meltzer immediately says "not really true because Bobo Brazil..." Not to take anything away from Simmons but if we wax poetic about buddy Rogers you gotta do the same thing about brazil
Yeah I was pretty taken aback when I first researched that Ron really wasn't THE first. Ron, still my dude though but yeah Bobo needs more love for the business.