Religion/Spirituality Vegetarianism, Veganism, and just reducing your meat intake.

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Have been working silly hours at a physical job. Meal prep and garden have been shyt which doesn't help recovery. Need to get back on the healthy eating tip. I still feel great overall, but know it'd help. Going to start cutting out empty calories replacing them with healthier ones. Have a good bit of rutabega, kale, tomatoes, squash and quinoa still growing that would be disrespectful to let go to waste

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Have been working silly hours at a physical job. Meal prep and garden have been shyt which doesn't help recovery. Need to get back on the healthy eating tip. I still feel great overall, but know it'd help. Going to start cutting out empty calories replacing them with healthier ones. Have a good bit of rutabega, kale, tomatoes, squash and quinoa still growing that would be disrespectful to let go to waste
I have some Cherokee heirloom tomatoes that I just picked a few of yesterday. Still hoping to get more before the frost sets in on the east coast.

My big goal right now is making a concerted effort to integrate more vegetarian meals into my week. I don't know if I'll go full vegetarian anytime soon because I like doing a veggie dish and then will go back to meat protein for another meal and keep rotating like that. Chicken, turkey, and other lean meats are tough for me to give up because I enjoy them so much. But I have to give myself credit, the amount of vegetarian meals I have in my repertoire is much more abundant than what I was doing before.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Center your diet around legumes rather than seafood. Fish are super high in rare earth metals and still have a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol. and not as healthy as beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh split peas etc for a few reasons. Legumes are rich in fiber, protein, prebiotics for your gut, and in some cases even antioxidants (black beans, colored lentils).

If you don't like them yet, there are easy ways to work them in foods you like. Hummus veggie wraps, split pea soup, gumbos with kidney beans, tofu stir fry, veggie chili etc.

Breh, don’t spread info like this if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

The last thing a vegetarian/vegan should do is center their diets around legumes.

Legumes contain anti-nutrients that block the absorption of nutrients and fukk with your ability to digest foods.

The only food that sufficiently overcomes the anti-nutrients in legumes is MEAT.

Eating a diet centered around legumes with no meat consumption is why a lot of people give up trying a vegan/vegetarian diet because they feel weak and hungry all the time.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
The last thing a vegetarian/vegan should do is center their diets around legumes.

Legumes contain anti-nutrients that block the absorption of nutrients and fukk with your ability to digest foods.

The only food that sufficiently overcomes the anti-nutrients in legumes is MEAT.

You lack a fundamental understanding re: phytates, FODMAPs and lectins. Stop reading Paleo blogs and reference actual registered dietitians and dietetics organizations.

It's true that phytic acid can block zinc absorption for example but deficiencies can be avoided simply by eating the right mix of foods. Legumes are a vital source of protein, nutrients and is the single biggest survival factor for people over 65. All the worlds longest lived populations consume beans (1-3+ servings a day).

And even if you were overly concerned about phytates, you can just soak or sprout your beans and grains to reduce phytic acid content. Rresearch has shown gut bacteria to adapt to phytic acid consumption also.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
You lack a fundamental understanding re: phytates, FODMAPs and lectins. Stop reading Paleo blogs and reference actual registered dietitians and dietetics organizations.

It's true that phytic acid can block zinc absorption for example but deficiencies can be avoided simply by eating the right mix of foods. Legumes are a vital source of protein, nutrients and is the single biggest survival factor for people over 65. All the worlds longest lived populations consume beans (1-3+ servings a day).

And even if you were overly concerned about phytates, you can just soak or sprout your beans and grains to reduce phytic acid content. Rresearch has shown gut bacteria to adapt to phytic acid consumption also.

Breh, you said all that and didn’t address anything I said.

And you make the assumption that I’m referencing paleo blogs because I’m saying if you eat legumes you need to eat meat as well.

I’m not advocating meat eating, I’m doing brehs that are exploring a vegetarian/vegan diet a solid by correctly telling them that if they plan on giving up meat, to make their diet PLANT BASED not LEGUMES BASED.

Everything you said about them is true “when you have the right mix of food” including MEAT.

If you eliminate meat from your diet, you need to remove or limit legumes as well.

And you definitely don’t want to make them the center of your diet.

Edit: Here’s a research paper published by the Department of Agriculture that proves my point, in case you think we’re going back and forth on this.

https://pubag.nal.usda.gov/pubag/downloadPDF.xhtml?id=46298&content=PDF

You can skip to the conclusion to see the results of the study.

Last edited:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Breh, you said all that and didn’t address anything I said.

And you make the assumption that I’m referencing paleo blogs because I’m saying if you eat legumes you need to eat meat as well.

I’m not advocating meat eating, I’m doing brehs that are exploring a vegetarian/vegan diet a solid by correctly telling them that if they plan on giving up meat, to make their diet PLANT BASED not LEGUMES BASED.

Everything you said about them is true “when you have the right mix of food” including MEAT.

If you eliminate meat from your diet, you need to remove or limit legumes as well.

And you definitely don’t want to make them the center of your diet.

Edit: Here’s a research paper published by the Department of Agriculture that proves my point, in case you think we’re going back and forth on this.

https://pubag.nal.usda.gov/pubag/downloadPDF.xhtml?id=46298&content=PDF

You can skip to the conclusion to see the results of the study.

I didn't address anything you said because it was categorically incorrect. There's no point addressing something that is a non argument.

Legumes are an important source of lysine for people on plant based diets.

You don't need meat to eat legumes. That is a complete falsehood. It's true that zinc can be an issue for people on plant based diets. That is why you have to consume plant based sources of zinc (pumpkin seeds, brown rice etc). Instances of anemia are not greater in plant based eaters than omnivores either so your point about iron is.... not really a point. You can of course eat a plant based diet without legumes but legumes are extremely healthy so why would you?

Concerns about deficiencies are always worth addressing which is why the academy of nutrition and dietetics maintains this position:

"It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes. Plant-based diets are more environmentally sustainable than diets rich in animal products because they use fewer natural resources and are associated with much less environmental damage. Vegetarians and vegans are at reduced risk of certain health conditions, including ischemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, certain types of cancer, and obesity. Low intake of saturated fat and high intakes of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, soy products, nuts, and seeds (all rich in fiber and phytochemicals) are characteristics of vegetarian and vegan diets that produce lower total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and better serum glucose control. These factors contribute to reduction of chronic disease. Vegans need reliable sources of vitamin B-12, such as fortified foods or supplements."

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yall seen this on netflix? The Game Changers (2018) - IMDb

I have been high carb vegan for 7 years. I am high level cyclist who races against pros. From a performance stand point going high carb vegan is incredible. The lack of inflammation is a huge benefit. Feel free to ask me anything.

Thanks for posting this, I’ve never seen it.

what does your daily meal plan typically consists of?

I’ve been messing around with my diet a bit and weeks where I don’t consume meat, I can feel my heart beating calmer. I currently have high cholesterol so really interested in making this shift 100%. The brother flying Hawaiian on here blessed me with some meal ideas, I just need a few more.

waltthizzney

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks for posting this, I’ve never seen it.

what does your daily meal plan typically consists of?

I’ve been messing around with my diet a bit and weeks where I don’t consume meat, I can feel my heart beating calmer. I currently have high cholesterol so really interested in making this shift 100%. The brother flying Hawaiian on here blessed me with some meal ideas, I just need a few more.

I eat a shyt ton of pasta, potato's , fruit , whole grain breads , basically eat like a Kenyan. Stay away from oils and eat as much plant based carbs as you want.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have been l plant based for a whole month and I have had amazing results. And I have been able to maintain my muscle and lose fat the same time. I am at 210 lbs. My mind is clearer and I have more energy.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Fell off the wagon after 7 years, been eating a bit of chicken and fish the last few weeks :francis:

Convinced myself I was giving myself a break because of hectic shyt (job change/kids+wife etc) but it's just laziness and a lack of discipline:yeshrug:

I'm jump back on though :mjcry: