What are some transitioning roles individuals looking to get into IT/Cybersecurity can apply for?

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
I've been working with a career coach for a few months. She’s been helping me plan what certifications and networking groups to research, fixing up my resume and teaching me how to sell myself in an IT market. Since I’d be doing a full on career change (I do admin for government departments), one of my tasks is to start researching roles that I could apply for to get my foot in the door.

The issue is a lot of the jobs I’ve been searching for either require the credentials I won’t have for another year or two, or not typically something someone transitioning in would get so fast. For those who transitioned into IT, what were/are some roles someone in this position can apply for to at least get some foundational experience and still be able to build on their skills? Particularly I want to become a SOC analyst in the next year after I get my Sec+. The researching part of where to start has just been a challenge.

Sorry for this being long winded.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Federal government jobs. They are looking for Cybersecurity personnel and they will train. See if you can find a recruiting event or look on usajobs.gov site. If I find something i will pass it along.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I definitely wouldn't start at the bottom doing helpdesk or desktop support. Those jobs are a complete waste of time and pay like shyt.

I wouldn't start out doing SOC Analyst work either. That's as bad as it gets when it comes to IT Security. The big money in cybersecurity will always be around auditing and compliance which isn't really technical.

My advice would be to find a mentor that's already in the field if possible. Attend tech conferences or join tech groups on Meetup.com where you can Network with experienced professionals.

Listen to podcasts on Cybersecurity and IT careers in general. Then follow the people from these podcasts on Twitter or LinkedIn. You'll learn everything about the field by seeing how the thought leaders operate. And you'll learn how to avoid the shyt jobs in the field most newbies waste time doing.

Podcasts
IT Career Energizer Podcast - Start, Develop and Grow Your Tech Career

Getting Into Infosec

ISACA Podcast

Podcasts Archives - Blacks In Technology

17 Cybersecurity Podcasts You Should Listen to in 2019

Last edited:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Study for the network plus and security plus apply to a soc after a year in the soc just apply elsewhere. Lots of people started in the soc and end up moving elsewhere after a year. The company I work for uses a three tier architecture.

Tier 1 - first line customer service, they handle all the calls that come in to the soc. They don't require much technical details but they will train you on the basic things such as what's a virus, firewall.....You can start at one of these jobs and work on your certs until you are ready to apply for tier 2. Getting those certs within a year could quickly move you to tier 2.

Tier 2 - we usually give them guidelines on how to solve issues etc.

Tier 3 - This where you can make realy good money from 70K, 80K to 110K as a senior tier 3.

After that you can be a senior manager or fill other roles within the company.

There is so many different sectors within the cyber security world. I am leaving the soc world by march after I get my bonus.There is devSec, data privacy which are al highlly paid gigs. This girl worked as a tier 1 in the soc and got a $20K raise in a year. Most people that are tier 1 move on after a year so a lot of companies will try to move you quickly to tier 2.

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
Federal government jobs. They are looking for Cybersecurity personnel and they will train. See if you can find a recruiting event or look on usajobs.gov site. If I find something i will pass it along.
I currently work for the provincial government (transitioning to federal in a few months), but I set my sights on moving to the states. I looked into the government route, but with the immigrant status I’d be coming as getting clearance wouldn’t be possible.

I definitely wouldn't start at the bottom doing helpdesk or desktop support. Those jobs are a complete waste of time and pay like shyt.

I wouldn't start out doing SOC Analyst work either. That's as bad as it gets when it comes to IT Security. The big money in cybersecurity will always be around auditing and compliance which isn't really technical.

My advice would be to find a mentor that's already in the field if possible. Attend tech conferences or join tech groups on Meetup.com where you can Network with experienced professionals.

Listen to podcasts on Cybersecurity and IT careers in general. Then follow the people from these podcasts on Twitter or LinkedIn. You'll learn everything about the field by seeing how the thought leaders operate. And you'll learn how to avoid the shyt jobs in the field most newbies waste time doing.

Podcasts

ISACA Podcast

There is a lady I’ve been speaking with that’s been feeding me some info and potential networking opportunities, I’ll look into this though. Thank you for the resources.

Study for the network plus and security plus apply to a soc after a year in the soc just apply elsewhere. Lots of people started in the soc and end up moving elsewhere after a year. The company I work for uses a three tier architecture.

Tier 1 - first line customer service, they handle all the calls that come in to the soc. They don't require much technical details but they will train you on the basic things such as what's a virus, firewall.....You can start at one of these jobs and work on your certs until you are ready to apply for tier 2. Getting those certs within a year could quickly move you to tier 2.

Tier 2 - we usually give them guidelines on how to solve issues etc.

Tier 3 - This where you can make realy good money from 70K, 80K to 110K as a senior tier 3.

After that you can be a senior manager or fill other roles within the company.

There is so many different sectors within the cyber security world. I am leaving the soc world by march after I get my bonus.There is devSec, data privacy which are al highlly paid gigs. This girl worked as a tier 1 in the soc and got a $20K raise in a year. Most people that are tier 1 move on after a year so a lot of companies will try to move you quickly to tier 2.
:ohhh: yeah I heard you can move up quickly if you hustle. Thanks for the advice.

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps

Podcasts

Getting Into Infosec

ISACA Podcast

sorry, i revisit this thread when i'm mapping out goals. Why don't you recommend it? Wouldnt they be easier for someone with no prior experiences to at least get their foot in the door?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sorry, i revisit this thread when i'm mapping out goals. Why don't you recommend it? Wouldnt they be easier for someone with no prior experiences to at least get their foot in the door?
Most people who start out in those low end positions never gain enough experience to move up. The next thing you know you've wasted 4 or 5 years doing desktop support. That type of experience can actually hurt your chances because you get typecasted.

Most IT jobs and people suck for the most part. So the only reason to even work in this field is to make as much money as quickly as possible.

I'm on my 3rd employer in the last 3 years. And my salary has risen about 35K in that time. But hey what do I know?

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
Most people who start out in those low end positions never gain enough experience to move up. The next thing you know you've wasted 4 or 5 years doing desktop support. That type of experience can actually hurt your chances because you get typecasted.

Most IT jobs and people suck for the most part. So the only reason to even work in this field is to make as much money as quickly as possible.

I'm on my 3rd employer in the last 3 years. And my salary has risen about 35K in that time. But hey what do I know?
Didn’t mean to criticize, was only curious

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
No disrespect taken. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did. Because you can't get back years of wasted time.
I understand. So what would you suggest someone’s first move be? I’m doing the studying thing (cybrary, cert study) but I hate being in admin and and bringing myself back to my original question, what does someone in this position apply for?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand. So what would you suggest someone’s first move be? I’m doing the studying thing (cybrary, cert study) but I hate being in admin and and bringing myself back to my original question, what does someone in this position apply for?
I would identify the area of cybersecurity I want to work in first. Look at job boards and read the job duties and requirements.

Obtain a cybersecurity certification like the Security+. Once you understand the basics it's easier to pass interview grilling.

I wouldn't look for employment until I can demonstrate a minimum amount of technical skills and knowledge on the subject.

There are all kinds of free interview question materials online. I would be able to answer these question off the top of my head before even applying for a job. You'll be surprised how often employers use these questions verbatim for screening applicants.

Build a home lab and practice with both Linux and Windows. YouTube has tons of videos on doing almost anything in cybersecurity.

If you hate your current job think how worse it would be get another job you're unprepared for. Depending on what city you live in determines how fast you'll find a cybersecurity job. So you may have to relocate to find your first gig.

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
I would identify the area of cybersecurity I want to work in first. Look at job boards and read the job duties and requirements.

Obtain a cybersecurity certification like the Security+. Once you understand the basics it's easier to pass interview grilling.

I wouldn't look for employment until I can demonstrate a minimum amount of technical skills and knowledge on the subject.

There are all kinds of free interview question materials online. I would be able to answer these question off the top of my head before even applying for a job. You'll be surprised how often employers use these questions verbatim for screening applicants.

Build a home lab and practice with both Linux and Windows. YouTube has tons of videos on doing almost anything in cybersecurity.

If you hate your current job think how worse it would be get another job you're unprepared for. Depending on what city you live in determines how fast you'll find a cybersecurity job. So you may have to relocate to find your first gig.
Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?