What are the best Trades/2 year degrees to get into?

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I'm thinking about becoming an electrical engineer. But still debating my original plan was to take a year or two off after graduating High school then go to school to become an audio tech or navy. But I like playing and performing more than setting up gear and audio equipment. And my gpa in high school was like 3.8+ and my senior year I had all A's.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
That follow your passion stuff is bullshyt.
Depends. I'm 40. My job isn't going anywhere and I make a decent amount. That said there is absolutely nothing I like about this field. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Government accounting is boring but I can be content and do this until I have enough to retire

If I had to do it all over again I'd choose a field that I at least would like something about it. Doesn't have to be my passion...but liking an aspect of the career would be a lot better. The older I get, the more I want to quit.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Depends. I'm 40. My job isn't going anywhere and I make a decent amount. That said there is absolutely nothing I like about this field. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Government accounting is boring but I can be content and do this until I have enough to retire

If I had to do it all over again I'd choose a field that I at least would like something about it. Doesn't have to be my passion...but liking an aspect of the career would be a lot better. The older I get, the more I want to quit.
I hear you but think if you had a skill that was your passion but at your age you only worked sporadically and atmost pulled 8.00/hr.
You wouldn't have he luxury to even think about doing something you love or have the security you will have when you get your retirement age and can then start to work on another one.

Just my take on it, but hey everyone has different views on life and I can respect yours.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps

Yeah man, I get it. I don't want to be like that when I get older. I think it's great you got a secure job that another major factor to consider.

Im currently in trade school for electrical technician. shyt is annoying, i might change to electronics.

What's annoying about it? And why the switch to electronics? Just curious?

Sprinkler fitting a good trade to get into if you can get a apprenticeship with the union
I'll research it.

Last edited:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
basically the conventional trades are all good. Plumbing/Electrician/HVAC all are good to go.

My close friend, an electrician, is a felon (drugs), dropped outta hs, started working an apprenticeship for an electrician. Got his licenses, started his own business, grew it, now by my estimates clears over 400k a year.

Friend of mine does elevator repair and makes 100k

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars

I'm in the same boat, breh. Im 29 tho

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
I have two degrees in electrical engineering engineering. The field is extremely versatile. A good mix of hardware (analog and digital electronics) and software (c/c++/python/java) experience is preferred by most jobs. I'm the beginning of my career and I make okay money. Not great because of the area I live in. Sidenote: Always negotiate. Never take the first offer, especially coming out of any level of school (undergrad, masters, PhD, etc....)

Some technician jobs will get you good bread but those are uber-competitve and come few and far between. Plus the a$$holes at the top unfortunately don't value them like they should. If you do go into the Navy, try to get trained in the discpline and get the GI Bill to pay for you to get the engineering degree once you're done. Question though, why are you taking two years off?

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
basically the conventional trades are all good. Plumbing/Electrician/HVAC all are good to go.
Yeah, it seems I hear about HVAC is it really that nice of a career? Some trades are seasonal and business dies down around different times of the year.
My close friend, an electrician, is a felon (drugs), dropped outta hs, started working an apprenticeship for an electrician. Got his licenses, started his own business, grew it, now by my estimates clears over 400k a year.

Friend of mine does elevator repair and makes 100k
:wow: That's a lot of money. My records squeaky clean and I graduated HS.

I have two degrees in electrical engineering engineering. The field is extremely versatile. A good mix of hardware (analog and digital electronics) and software (c/c++/python/java) experience is preferred by most jobs. I'm the beginning of my career and I make okay money.
Yeah, that's what had struck my interest because how versatile it is and diffucilty of it ever being outsourced.
Sidenote: Always negotiate. Never take the first offer, especially coming out of any level of school (undergrad, masters, PhD, etc....)
full
Noted.
Some technician jobs will get you good bread but those are uber-competitve and come few and far between. Plus the a$$holes at the top unfortunately don't value them like they should. If you do go into the Navy, try to get trained in the discpline and get the GI Bill to pay for you to get the engineering degree once you're done. Question though, why are you taking two years off?
Exactly that main reasons I was thinking about joining I'm scared of going into debt. I already took about a year and a half off. I took time off to figure out what I want to do with life and better my musicianship and learn a foreign language or two. The first year it was mainly :dj2: and enjoying how much freedom I had. Also, my friend had hooked me up with a job working for a roofing company and I was making like 9.25/hr working 7 to 5 (or sometimes till dark) week days. Also whenever we had a job to do outside of town they would pay for us to eat and what not. I quit because it was too time consuming and I was the youngest guy there. I later got another job working as a receptionist :wrist: making minimum wage but continue to ponder what I wanted to do with life. I also was a church musician but later quit and stop going to church altogether. In my free time I study music theory and make music. So yeah it was worth it imo but I'm open to criticize.