What are the top three STEM Bachelor degrees?

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
Rank them based on factors of salary/benefits, work life balance, ease of finding a job, and ease of obtaining the degree and staying relevant (ie programmers having to learn new languages/certs every 5-10 years. )

My ranking would be

Mech E
Biomedical Engineering
Computer Science or Information Systems (with a Cert)

Chem E pays well but I heard its hard getting the exxon jobs, alot of my friends with this degree are making shampoo lol

Here's my opinion on many engineering majors
But going down the list here are my stereotypes about many common Stem majors

Mech E-Pays average, pretty stable
Civ E-Pays lower, dealing with big budgets/harsh timetables
ECE-Hard lol Pays well
BioE-
BioMedE-
BioMechE- The three bio engineerings can sometimes be useless as a biodegree unless near a biotech area, they pay average, and lab oriented
Industrial E-Your going to be working in factories, pays average
Chem E-hard but pays well alot end up working with food or products like shampoo lol
Material Science E-Too similar to chem imo doesn't pay as well
Aerospace E-hard, pays well but too specific and hard to find a job
Auto E-Pays average Stable
EE-Hard but has job security
Engineering Management-becoming more popular as engineers want business knowledge.
Environmental E-Heard its hard to find jobs
Petro E-Pays very very well but hard and its hard to get your foot in the door
Nucelar E-Very hard, Very specific, Pays very well but hard to find jobs widespread
Computer E-Hard but pays well, you have to keep updated with languages

Biology-Easier than others but its not specific enough and they're are too many bio majors, useless unless your going to grad school
Chem-Pays better but wages seem stagnant around 50-70k without grad school
Physics-Hard but with out PHD I dont know to many physics majors who have good jobs.
Math/Applied Math/stats-Pretty well for finding jobs and applicable to a lot of fields.

Comp Sci-Pays well but you have to keep updated and trained on languages
Info systems-better to get a comp sci degree, learn a language it will pay a lot more the more programming you know.

Last edited:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Petroleum Engineering - $$$$, worldwide opportunities, not that stable from what i hear though
Electrical Engineering - wide range of possible career paths, decent $$$,
Computer Science - good $$$, have to keep up with new languages

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
Petroleum Engineering - $$$$, worldwide opportunities, not that stable from what i hear though
Electrical Engineering - wide range of possible career paths, decent $$$,
Computer Science - good $$$, have to keep up with new languages

These three are probably the top paying. :eat:

I heard petro engineering pays well but it's impossible to get a job unless you either have over a 3.7 GPA or are willing to live and move to random rural places :scust:

Double E course load though :sadbron: A lot of Double E's I personally know switch to comp sci or mech/civil engineering

Computer Science I agree.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The question should be...are you good enough at it to make top paying money :jbhmm:

You should find out the salary range for said STEM degrees and what % the people in the industry fall in and be honest with yourself on where you would fall:jbhmm:

I know a few programmers who make a 100k...

I know WAY more who are unemployed or making 20 an hour as a contractor and scrambling for a job every 90 days

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
The question should be...are you good enough at it to make top paying money :jbhmm:

You should find out the salary range for said STEM degrees and what % the people in the industry fall in and be honest with yourself on where you would fall:jbhmm:

I know WAY more who are unemployed or making 20 an hour as a contractor and scrambling for a job every 90 days
Damn do they have their certs if you don't know how to program and keep up with the languages or you aren't willing to move you may fall behind

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
I don't think I know one person who made it through an engineering program who isn't make at least 55/60 k or in grad school even the ones with terrible GPA's worked an internship for a bit then left their GPA off their resume and found work

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V

In the DC area I know some programmers earning six figs with an associates and a cert damn...

But they know how to program

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I don't think I know one person who made it through an engineering program who isn't make at least 55/60 k or in grad school even the ones with terrible GPA's worked an internship for a bit then left their GPA off their resume and found work

So you know people who went into an engineering program, which highly likely caused them to take out student loans, which leaves them burdened with debt, and then some of these debt burdened engineers turned right around and went into grad school to incur even more debt :jbhmm:

Exactly how much debt is a person supposed to go into before any degree, not just an engineering degree... isn't worth it...:jbhmm:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
So you know people who went into an engineering program, which highly likely caused them to take out student loans, which leaves them burdened with debt, and then some of these debt burdened engineers turned right around and went into grad school to incur even more debt :jbhmm:

Exactly how much debt is a person supposed to go into before any degree, not just an engineering degree... isn't worth it...:jbhmm:

as someone who fits this description to a T, its worth it :cheff: (sans the grad school, if you have a shyt GPA you just arent getting into grad school)

if you can solve problems, are self motivated, and dont expect shyt to be easy...you can do any kind of engineering

i am a chemical engineer with a specialization in biomed but i work with continuous improvement and optimization efforts

for reference i have a debt around 75k

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
as someone who fits this description to a T, its worth it :cheff: (sans the grad school, if you have a shyt GPA you just arent getting into grad school)

if you can solve problems, are self motivated, and dont expect shyt to be easy...you can do any kind of engineering

i am a chemical engineer with a specialization in biomed but i work with continuous improvement and optimization efforts

for reference i have a debt around 75k

75k in debt...

How long is it going to take you to pay that off?

What happens if you lose your job?

Do you ever think about what you could have purchased with that additional 75k in your life time...

I am in the opposite end of the boat...I had a full ride scholarship to go to school so it cost me nothing...and that was the only way I was going to go to college because I did not want to take the gamble of racking up a huge amount of debt for something that is in no way a sure thing...i would have just went to trade school and become an electrician or plumber or something...

I work in IT and I know plenty of people who can solve problems, are self motivated, don't expect shyt to be easy....and can't get a job in IT...

Only so many positions to go around...only so many openings ever year...a project is called a project because at some point it ends and you don't need X amount of people doing X amount of things anymore...

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V

If you go to community college and get rid of your calc I II III and diff eq, Physics I and II , Chem, Bio, Physics, Statics, Dynamics, and all humanities. Save money to go commute to state school your set. My company pays for degrees too. State tuition is about 10k a year. So maybe 25k max spent on a 60k job. Live at home the first year and :lolbron:. For grad degrees alot of companies will pay for it you have to find the right one with those good benefits.:sas1:

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
75k in debt...

How long is it going to take you to pay that off?

What happens if you lose your job?

Do you ever think about what you could have purchased with that additional 75k in your life time...

I am in the opposite end of the boat...I had a full ride scholarship to go to school so it cost me nothing...and that was the only way I was going to go to college because I did not want to take the gamble of racking up a huge amount of debt for something that is in no way a sure thing...i would have just went to trade school and become an electrician or plumber or something...

I work in IT and I know plenty of people who can solve problems, are self motivated, don't expect shyt to be easy....and can't get a job in IT...

Only so many positions to go around...only so many openings ever year...a project is called a project because at some point it ends and you don't need X amount of people doing X amount of things anymore...

theres more to working than just going through school :manny:

as far as the debt, im looking at 20k bonus on signing

and then ill pay it as i go, im looking into opening sources of passive income in the meantime

what would i have bought with 75k in the time i racked it up? probably alcohol and bud :skip: only reason i have that much is because i wasted 3-4 years of classes dropping and retaking

if you went to get a degree in IT, you should have already considered the fact your field would be oversaturated with talent(see accountants and nurses for example)

many people saw the late 90s early 2000s tech boom, but didnt realize that others did as well. I have a bunch of friends who work with CSharpe and Python that are doing well for themselves(not as well as me but i digress)

at the end of the day, you have a specific situation and factors that only you personally are aware of. If you get into software engineering....you have to embrace a lifetime of learning like the rest of engineering fields. The times change and the goal of the engineer is to provide value to the process owner. You do that by having top knowledge of tech in your field and excellent ability to sell what you know and how you can contribute. If you fail to do this you will fail regardless of field.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
If you go to community college and get rid of your calc I II III and diff eq, Physics I and II , Chem, Bio, Physics, Statics, Dynamics, and all humanities. Save money to go commute to state school your set. My company pays for degrees too. State tuition is about 10k a year. So maybe 25k max spent on a 60k job. Live at home the first year and :lolbron:. For grad degrees alot of companies will pay for it you have to find the right one with those good benefits.:sas1:

That is a lot of hoops to jump through to make 60k...

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
this is honestly the best way to go. the tradition of going to a 4 year all the way through if you dont come from means is going to become a thing of the past within the next 5-10 years if you ask me