What are your personal modern horror classics?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
What are some post-2000 horror films that you could see being considered iconic years from now like The Thing, The Exorcist, or even Scream? These can be films that you personally felt have been influential on the industry, and changed the game in a way. Directors within the genre who you believe to be on their way, first ballot, into the “Horror Film HOF” if it existed. I want to hear your thoughts.

From time to time, I see most people on the internet believe Get Out and Hereditary to already be at that status, which I’m not even mad at - those are already aging nicely. What are your picks?

@Nicole0416_646NYC @storyteller @Jello Biafra @MartyMcFly @Danie84 @Flex Grossman @Dirty Mcdrawz @315 @Lord_nikon @T.H.E.GOD @BlaqkSpliffin @NobodyReally @abominable1 @8WON6
@Cattle Mutilation @Remy Le Breh

Last edited:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
  • Hereditary - Perhaps the best horror movie of the 21st century
  • Creep - Probably the pinnacle of post Blair Witch found footage
  • It Follows - it's just so very different and one of the highest rated horror films of the 21st century. It even managed an 83 on Metacritic, and those people are stingy as hell with the horror ratings.
  • The VVitch - Robert Eggers first film. Made art house horror cool again. First successful horror film for A24 and at the time was their second biggest box office film by a wide margin of any genre. Really helped catapult A24 into a prestige independent film distributor.
  • 28 Days Later - Reinvigorated the zombie subgenre
  • Train to Busan - Probably the pinnacle of South Korean horror in the 21st century
  • Saw - launched James Wan's career, for better or worse lol

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Hereditary
Creep
It Follows
The VVitch
28 Days Later
Train to Busan
Saw - launched James Wan's career, for better or worse lol
Really good mention with Wan, for sure. What a come-up. You know you made it big when Scary Movie is parodying your material.

Then he drops The Conjuring 9 years later, shatters the box office, and changes the game once again with the supernatural sub-genre. Leigh Whannell isn’t doing bad for himself either.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Really good mention with Wan, for sure. What a come-up. You know you made it big when Scary Movie is parodying your material.

Then he drops The Conjuring 9 years later, shatters the box office, and changes the game once again with the supernatural sub-genre. Leigh Whannell isn’t doing bad for himself either.
YEah Wan's had like two bangers and everyone keeps giving him chances because they are like "what if this is his one good movie of the decade??"

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
YEah Wan's had like two bangers and everyone keeps giving him chances because they are like "what if this is his one good movie of the decade??"
I like how despite all of the success Wan has had so far, he’s still able to drop gems for the fans who have been there since Day 1.

Malignant was such a wild ass film, but you could tell it was his love letter to the Italian giallo and old school video-store days of horror. Could’ve easily dropped another Conjuring entry or fully directed his attention to the Aqua-Man franchise.

Avisible Man

The animal that Hughve Hefner created
Daps
Ready or Not was dope. Watched it for the first time the other day. ⭐⭐⭐ movie and was tremendous entertainment. Samara Weaving was outstanding. She was so great that I had to checkout The Babysitter on Netflix, which was also legit. I'd also give that ⭐⭐⭐ but it probably would get ⭐⭐ 1/2.

Happy Death Day was another modern horror flick that was also highly entertaining. It gets ⭐⭐ 1/2 but I'd bump that to ⭐⭐⭐ as well.

The Descent was great, another ⭐⭐⭐ movie.

Zach Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was good and is also ⭐⭐⭐.

I haven't seen Sinister yet but that gets great reviews.

You gotta throw Shaun of the Dead in there too for Horror Comedy. That's ⭐⭐⭐ as well.

I really like Final Destination 5 but that's not gonna be considered a classic. Still good tho :manny:

The Devil's Rejects from Rob Zombie is another highly rated horror movie. It ain't my favorite but Rob Zombie is from Haverhill, which is one of the cities I grew up in so I'ma give it to him.

IT was excellent and is also ⭐⭐⭐

Don't Breathe was really good.

I saw X last month and it was *ahem* Xcellent .

The Mist for the ending alone.

The Invisible Man from 2020 was very good; I'd give it ⭐⭐⭐

Did anybody mention A Quiet Place? That got ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2. That's rare for a horror movie. Get Out is also a ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 movie. A Quiet Place 2 was good and is ⭐⭐⭐ but it ain't the original.

The Cabin in the Woods was great. That's ⭐⭐⭐ Joss Whedon had that and The Avengers in back to back years :obama:

Krampus was really good and gets ⭐⭐ 1/2

I haven't seen Freaky yet but that's supposed to be good. It has ⭐⭐⭐ and is on HBO Max.

I saw The Ritual on Netflix a few years ago. That was good and disturbing.

I really liked Vacancy which got ⭐⭐ 1/2. Kate Beckinsale was :banderas:

1408 was really good.

Hush was excellent, which was made by the people who did The Haunting on Hill House.

I really like Scream 4 a lot. It could be the second best Scream but it's accepted as 3rd best. It's ⭐⭐ 1/2 but I would give it ⭐⭐⭐. It was ahead of it's time.

Paranormal Activity is a ⭐⭐⭐ movie and launched a franchise. I even had to watch it in a Shakespeare class in college.

Planet Terror counts as a Horror Comedy. That was directed by Robert Rodriguez and was part of his and Tarantino's Grindhouse double feature. It was great and gets ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 if my memory serves.

Halloween 2018 is ⭐⭐⭐ and restored the feeling even if it was H2.0

I could keep going but I'ma chill now.

I mention ⭐ ratings a lot cuz it's rare for a horror movie to get ⭐⭐⭐. For reference, the original Halloween gets ⭐⭐⭐⭐. A good horror movie will get ⭐⭐ 1/2 and that's like a ⭐⭐⭐ action movie.

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Only one that came to mind that I haven't seen mentioned already is The Others.
13.gif

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
I like how despite all of the success Wan has had so far, he’s still able to drop gems for the fans who have been there since Day 1.

Malignant was such a wild ass film, but you could tell it was his love letter to the Italian giallo and old school video-store days of horror. Could’ve easily dropped another Conjuring entry or fully directed his attention to the Aqua-Man franchise.
Yeah I think this is why I'll always dap Wan. He never forgets where he came from. Even in his mainstream bigger stuff he'll drop crumbs for the genre heads in the audience. Malignant was him cashing in his mainstream favors for a wild time. Fun ass movie. Gonna be awhile before we ever get something like that and at that level (produciton, budget) wise again.