What does it mean to be Black enough? Cord Jefferson explores this 'American Fiction'

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps

In the satirical film American Fiction, a frustrated writer named Thelonious "Monk" Ellison (played by Jeffrey Wright) can't get his latest book published because editors say it's not "Black" enough. Monk's editors want clichéd stories about Black life — something screenwriter and director Cord Jefferson says he experienced first-hand as a writer in Hollywood.

"People would call me and they would say, 'Do you want to write this TV show about a Black teenager murdered by the police? Do you want to write about this movie about a slave? Do you want to write this movie about crack dealers?' " Jefferson says. "It just felt like, there's still just such a hugely limited perspective as to what Black life looks like."

The film, which has been nominated for a Golden Globe for best comedy, follows along as Monk writes the kind of "Black" book the publishers want, using every tired and offensive trope he can think of. He submits the manuscript under a pseudonym, and, to his surprise, is offered a $1 million book deal.

Jefferson says that using satire to tackle racism was both fun and cathartic: "You're talking about these serious issues, but you're talking about them in a way that makes you laugh ... [and] makes other people laugh," he says. "I think that there's a power in that that other kinds of art don't have."

What say you, TLR? Interested in watching?

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
It’s true, blackness is being sold because of the style of living we encourage here in America (capitalism).

I’d like to see this movie because I feel it’s an issue a lot of black writers in particular have been facing thru history. The only reason it’s not addressed as much anymore is because this system has found a manner in which to integrate black writers and provide them with basic economics in exchange for an idea of what perceived blackness is.

It’s one reason why I’m starting to dislike certain events and organizations designed for minority groups.

One, the identities of the individuals in groups become homogeneous and, two, it appears that after some time the only way these groups survive is to create some economic plan that involves selling their identity to non blacks mostly.

Plus, they used my boy Jon Batiste’s music in the trailer, that’s from the album we got the Grammy for

:mjgrin:

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bottom of the Lake
CB4

Because of the history of movies, television and certain music, we as blacks are labeled based off the opposite of other races believing we are not black because we supposedly not acting or grew up a certain way others believe we should be

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
Also, Hollywood Shuffle.

"I ain't be got no weapon"

Writer-director Cord Jefferson believed in his directorial debut, American Fiction, but never expected the level of acclaim the comedy-drama has received.

"It has meant the world to me," he said as we discussed the outpouring of love for the film. "This is my first real press tour for anything. I did some press for Watchmen, but that was minimal compared to this. One of the best things about doing it has been meeting some of my idols and hearing them say nice things about the film."

"A real spiritual predecessor to this movie for me is a movie called Hollywood Shuffle, written and directed by Robert Townsend, who also starred in it. Robert did a Q&A with me a few weeks back and told me that he loves the film and is very proud of me."

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Breh's pen name is Stagg R. Lee.
Dave Chappelle Laughing GIF - Dave Chappelle Laughing Smh GIFs

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Makes me want to see the film to catch the references like this that are likely scattered throughout the film.
Same here, Breh. I think there will be several references hidden in the movie. After watching the trailer (and seeing the DMV's very own Jeffrey Wright is the lead actor), I think that we might actually get a spiritual successor to Bamboozled. I was prepared to pass on it, but I think I might give it a watch.

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
Same here, Breh. I think there will be several references hidden in the movie. After watching the trailer (and seeing the DMV's very own Jeffrey Wright is the lead actor), I think that we might actually get a spiritual successor to Bamboozled. I was prepared to pass on it, but I think I might give it a watch.

What made you want to pass on it initially?