What is colorism?

El Bajo Negro

Banned
Daps
Educate an ignorant breh. Where I grew up, everyone in my community was just considered "black" regardless of skin tone. No one used terms like "red" or "light skinned." What is colorism?

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
People think that different shades of black people get treated differently. Light-skin people getting preference, while dark skin people seen as generally worse. It's not new. Some of it comes from slavery. Light-skin=illegitimate child of a slave-master (house n-words). Dark-skin=field slaves. And you can look at stuff like the "Paper bag test". And so on.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
So it's just about having a preference for a certain skin tone? Or does it go deeper? :jbhmm:

No...

It is assigning qualities according to skintone and it often includes gender

So, a lightskin male is perceived as feminine or soft

And a darkskin female is perceived as aggressive...

Is an example of colorism

It also works on a macro level too

Lightskin people are perceived to be smarter than darkskin people

Darkskin people are perceived to be poorer than lightskin people

Skintone is a signifier for qualities

El Bajo Negro

Banned
Daps
The closer your skin tone is to white the better you'll be treated and perceived.

This isn't something new breh, can't believe that many of y'all are that ignorant.

I'm not familiar with this concept. It seems more related to insecurity and self-esteem...

where did you grow up and when?

It's not important where exactly, but it was in the South. but I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's.

In my family and town, everyone was just black. If you had any black in you, you were black. Even if you were Mariah Carey status, you were black. I didn't hear about light skin and darkskin til I moved to Milwaukee

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It's not important where exactly, but it was in the South. but I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's.

The American South?
Your username and flag avatar confuse me.

1988 to 1992 was pivotal in terms of Black celebs and the concept of skin color & beauty...those were the Kane,Jordan,Snipes years.

Not sure that I believe you grew up in that era don't understand colorism. Even if you weren't around people who voiced it, the media images in that era were shifting so it would have been hard to not notice.

El Bajo Negro

Banned
Daps
The American South?
Your username and flag avatar confuse me.

1988 to 1992 was pivotal in terms of Black celebs and the concept of skin color & beauty...those were the Kane,Jordan,Snipes years.

Not sure that I believe you grew up in that era don't understand colorism. Even if you weren't around people who voiced it, the media images in that era were shifting so it would have been hard to not notice.

It wasn't a thing where I'm from, so that's why I'm asking

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
I'm not familiar with this concept. It seems more related to insecurity and self-esteem...

In my family and town, everyone was just black. If you had any black in you, you were black. Even if you were Mariah Carey status, you were black. I didn't hear about light skin and darkskin til I moved to Milwaukee

I'm surprised... you've never seen anyone get roasted for being "crispy black" "burnt" or any other variance... if you grew up in the south you should be familiar

You've never heard ignorant nikkas calling dark skin girls dark butts, you never seen nikkas fiending for redbones and the light skin girls... you can't be this ignorant breh

Especially growing up around black people... why do you think they have the "acting light skin" thing... if you're light skin you're perceived as more sensitive and more emotional caring... it's placing extra humanity on light skin individuals

El Bajo Negro

Banned
Daps
I'm surprised... you've never seen anyone get roasted for being "crispy black" "burnt" or any other variance... if you grew up in the south you should be familiar

You've never heard ignorant nikkas calling dark skin girls dark butts, you never seen nikkas fiending for redbones and the light skin girls... you can't be this ignorant breh

Especially growing up around black people... why do you think they have the "acting light skin" thing... if you're light skin you're perceived as more sensitive and more emotional caring... it's placing extra humanity on light skin individuals

We only roasted each other's clothes, shoes and mamas :russ:

El Bajo Negro

Banned
Daps
are you hispanic? did you grow up out of the country

Haitian and grew up in the US

njS2J5A.png