What is finance like ?

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
fukk man is anything easy anymore lol. Figured they would pull a lot of UNC grads and such, not move people down from nyc

They pull some of those as well, but from what I saw more than half the folks in the field had worked for a firm on Wall Street at one point.

The investment world ain't for the faint-hearted. You gotta be a beast just to get in.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
They pull some of those as well, but from what I saw more than half the folks in the field had worked for a firm on Wall Street at one point.

The investment world ain't for the faint-hearted. You gotta be a beast just to get in.
So you a back office guy or have you transitioned?

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Anyone have more information on this? It sounds like an interesting field. It's like a marriage of science/math with finance. Doubt anyone here is in that field but wouldn't hurt to ask.
I think quant may involve more programming. Doing algorithms and shyt.

get your Google on for some finance forums or even check Reddit finance subs for some discussion. Then pop back in for a coli breh to lace you with game :manny:

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Anyone know how difficult transitions from role to role are? Like lets say someone doing fp&a to corporate finance or m&a?

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
So you a back office guy or have you transitioned?

I did back office (Financial Reporting Analyst) for a year at what was Wachovia (Wells Fargo today). Moved on to a consumer products company and have been in "corporate finance" for 10+ years.

Corporate finance is fine, but not nearly as lucrative as the investment world and some people find it to be boring. You also don't have as much autonomy in many positions and there is less opportunity to "perform". You end up being a cog in the wheel where you manager can make or break you.

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
I did back office (Financial Reporting Analyst) for a year at what was Wachovia (Wells Fargo today). Moved on to a consumer products company and have been in "corporate finance" for 10+ years.

Corporate finance is fine, but not nearly as lucrative as the investment world and some people find it to be boring. You also don't have as much autonomy in many positions and there is less opportunity to "perform". You end up being a cog in the wheel where you manager can make or break you.

Yeah I don't really mind that monotonous shyt th. I guess after a while you cpuld always move on IF you weren't feeling it

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
I think quant may involve more programming. Doing algorithms and shyt.

get your Google on for some finance forums or even check Reddit finance subs for some discussion. Then pop back in for a coli breh to lace you with game :manny:

I know about quantnet and all the subreddits. I'm still confused on exactly what they do. All I understand is the broad, surface-level explanation that they use AI software to help them trade.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
What's the difference thought socially and work environment wise. In some careers it's all about presentation and other careers it's about whether the work gets donw and everything is secondary in terms of office culture etc . I notice STEM careers can veer towards the later but what about finance and being black in finance is that even a thign or am I pulling something out of the air and making an issue out of nothing. I'm asking because my social skills may not be that high of a level in terms of general office attitudes etc etc idk in hope you guys know what I'm getting at

Social skills are relevant in terms of "getting in" then after that it's performance. Bro what do you want to do?

Last edited:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Anything other than manufacturing tbh

Can you narrow it down with something that's compatible with your skills, gifts, or interests. For finance unless you have a family member who can put you on. You need a college degree not because the college degree itself validates you but because a lot of the investment banks recruit directly from campus for paid internships that can eventually lead to full time positions, and investment bankers earn a lot of money but also work 80 hour weeks but it can be a stepping stone to bigger an and better things without crazy hours after two years.

Daps
Can you narrow it down with something that's compatible with your skills, gifts, or interests. For finance unless you have a family member who can put you on. You need a college degree not because the college degree itself validates you but because a lot of the investment banks recruit directly from campus for paid internships that can eventually lead to full time positions, and investment bankers earn a lot of money but also work 80 hour weeks but it can be a stepping stone to bigger an and better things without crazy hours after two years.

Ive taken some advanced math classes Lin algebra calc and currently studying Java at a local cc, but also got a bs in biology at sac state.

I'm still a blank slate what options are there in the field. I looked as business analytics but they require SQL experience for 1-2 years.

Last edited:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Ive taken some advanced math classes Lin algebra calc and currently studying Java at a local cc, but also got a bs in biology at sac state.

I'm still a blank slate what options are there in the field. I looked as business analytics but they require SQL experience for 1-2 years.

Ok take some finance courses basic accounting and if you can get certification for them do so. I am not too familiar with the banking financial services sector on the West Coast but I am sure there are some. Your best approach is to get an internship t some of your local financial services firms and go from there.