What is the worst personal scandal in political history?

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was just about to mention Edwards! :mjlol: I mean, having a kid on the side is definitely not good. But generally all the personal stuff is just sex. Gay, straight, whatever. Bill Clinton get's bonus points for lying under oath about his and taking it from personal to criminal and getting impeached.:mjlol: Ilhan gets creativity points for doing something unexpected.:obama:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/historical-beef-4-cleopatra.669885/

Cleopatra seduced the Roman emperor Julius Caesar and thereby gained control of Egypt when she was just a teenager.

Killed her little bro so he wouldn't share the throne with her.

Then after Caesar died she seduced the potential emperor-in-waiting Mark Anthony in order to get the throne back again

Killed her sis so she wouldn't share the throne either

Birthed Mark Anthony's children even as he was trying to conceive with his Roman wife, ended up getting him to tie the knot even though he was still married to the other woman

Got her illegitimate son declared the heir to the Roman throne

Was accused by the Roman people of witchcraft, sorcery, and the destruction of civilization, and Rome descended into civil war

Cleopatra and Mark Anthony lose the war and both commit suicide (him stabbing himself in the stomach, her via the bite of a cobra)

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/historical-beef-4-cleopatra.669885/

Cleopatra seduced the Roman emperor Julius Caesar and thereby gained control of Egypt when she was just a teenager.

Killed her little bro so he wouldn't share the throne with her.

Then after Caesar died she seduced the potential emperor-in-waiting Mark Anthony in order to get the throne back again

Killed her sis so she wouldn't share the throne either

Birthed Mark Anthony's children even as he was trying to conceive with his Roman wife, ended up getting him to tie the knot even though he was still married to the other woman

Got her illegitimate son declared the heir to the Roman throne

Was accused by the Roman people of witchcraft, sorcery, and the destruction of civilization, and Rome descended into civil war

Cleopatra and Mark Anthony lose the war and both commit suicide (him stabbing himself in the stomach, her via the bite of a cobra)

I don't even think that was the most scandalous of its era, let alone all history. In my opinion, for that era at least, it's Clodius being discovered at Caesar's house in 62 at the festival of the Bona Dea - for women only, men were forbidden from its observation - in drag, asking for Caesar's wife presumably because he wanted to smash, at the time when Caesar himself was pontifex maximus and was the high priest of Roman religion. That's violating the biggest taboos in their culture:

- a man dressing as a woman
- a man violating a solemn and sacred religious ceremony that was only for women, on pain of death
- a man attempting to sleep with another person's wife
- the woman in question was married to the highest religious authority in the empire and she was conducting said religious ceremony when this happened
- and to top it all off, when Clodius was put on trial on the charges of blasphemy and adultery and incest (the last one unrelated to this incident, but added to the prosecution case anyway), he was acquitted by a margin of three jury votes, and everybody knew it was because Crassus, the richest man in the Roman world, had bribed the jury to get him acquitted

Bona Dea - Wikipedia

What this summary doesn't mention is that Clodius was like the Brad Pitt combined with Al Capone combined with JFK of his day. He was a scion of by far the greatest family in Roman history, the Claudii, who had produced dozens and dozens of consuls. And he was also considered the best looking man in the city :dame: Because of his social status, his looks, and his extravagant playboy lifestyle, Clodius was the man who got the most attention from people in his era, more so than Caesar or Antony. Clodius was also a gangster who commanded the biggest and toughest gang in the city, and due to his gang power he was also a leading politician.

For all these reasons, even people who were apolitical were interested in Clodius and what he was doing, where they may not have been interested in Caesar and Antony. That's why I believe that any scandal involving him was just far bigger than anything about Caesar and Antony; they never had juice with the people like Clodius did. Sure they had much more political and military power, but put it this way, if there were gossip magazines and paparazzi and things like that in the Roman world, they would have spent far more time on Clodius than anybody else.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I don't even think that was the most scandalous of its era, let alone all history. In my opinion, for that era at least, it's Clodius being discovered at Caesar's house in 62 at the festival of the Bona Dea - for women only, men were forbidden from its observation - in drag, asking for Caesar's wife presumably because he wanted to smash, at the time when Caesar himself was pontifex maximus and was the high priest of Roman religion. That's violating the biggest taboos in their culture:

- a man dressing as a woman
- a man violating a solemn and sacred religious ceremony that was only for women, on pain of death
- a man attempting to sleep with another person's wife
- the woman in question was married to the highest religious authority in the empire and she was conducting said religious ceremony when this happened
- and to top it all off, when Clodius was put on trial on the charges of blasphemy and adultery and incest (the last one unrelated to this incident, but added to the prosecution case anyway), he was acquitted by a margin of three jury votes, and everybody knew it was because Crassus, the richest man in the Roman world, had bribed the jury to get him acquitted

Bona Dea - Wikipedia

What this summary doesn't mention is that Clodius was like the Brad Pitt combined with Al Capone combined with JFK of his day. He was a scion of by far the greatest family in Roman history, the Claudii, who had produced dozens and dozens of consuls. And he was also considered the best looking man in the city :dame: Because of his social status, his looks, and his extravagant playboy lifestyle, Clodius was the man who got the most attention from people in his era, more so than Caesar or Antony. Clodius was also a gangster who commanded the biggest and toughest gang in the city, and due to his gang power he was also a leading politician.

For all these reasons, even people who were apolitical were interested in Clodius and what he was doing, where they may not have been interested in Caesar and Antony. That's why I believe that any scandal involving him was just far bigger than anything about Caesar and Antony; they never had juice with the people like Clodius did. Sure they had much more political and military power, but put it this way, if there were gossip magazines and paparazzi and things like that in the Roman world, they would have spent far more time on Clodius than anybody else.

:hula:

You make a strong case. I'd still say that no matter what his notoriety, Claudius was still just a senator. Cleopatra fukked around with one emperor, then fukked around with a second pseudo-emperor that pulled the whole empire into civil war.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Was talking with my mom about it... I think it is easily Anthony Weiner. It was his scandal that led to DOJ finding undiscovered emails on his wife's (Huma Abdein) laptop. Those emails led to a reopening of Clinton's email saga leading up to the election and changed the trajectory of America as we know it

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Looking back in many years, this whole administration will be looked at like one of the darkest periods in American history, first off the stuff we don't know about, second the stuff that is happening in plain sight that he is getting away with. It's overwhelming, and I don't think I am being a prisoner of the moment.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Wiener and Spitzer were really bad, Gillum is bad but the virus is giving him cover,

However, I got to say. There has never been as an embarrassment as Wilbur Mills

They caught him red fukking handed with his mistress. He was the top 5 most powerful politician in the country as well. Like we hear about scandals, his scandal was recorded for infamy.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Was talking with my mom about it... I think it is easily Anthony Weiner. It was his scandal that led to DOJ finding undiscovered emails on his wife's (Huma Abdein) laptop. Those emails led to a reopening of Clinton's email saga leading up to the election and changed the trajectory of America as we know it
I think it's Weiner also but for different reason.
He stepped down from a Congressional seat for inappropriate behavior
RECOVERED, to the point that he was running for mayor of NYC , and leading in the polls.
Caught doing the same shyt, and was forced to drop out.

And then caught exchanging inappropriate info with a minor while he was in a room with his own child.

served time and is a registered sex offender now
=================

Hillary lost to Donald J. Trump a few weeks after she pulled out what should have been the Ace card.
We can try to revise history, but those emails had little bearing on her losing that election.