What was the East Coast’s Reaction To The Chronic and Doggystyle?

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
Somebody got an answer?

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
I remember a Source article where they said when they played "Deez Nutz" during the Naughty By Nature "Hip Hop Hooray" video shoot that people were mesmerized especially to Nate Dogg's part cause it was like nothing they ever heard before.

Sister Mary Clarence

I pronounce us ready to eat. Amen.
Daps
Reppin
Saint Katherine's Convent
In 1992 I was 13. Living in Pennsylvania. The anticipation for both albums was unreal. This was pre internet so the only way you heard any songs before the albums dropped was on radio or MTV. I remember when I finally got the Chronic album, "Dre Day" was uncensored with different lyrics. Had to learn the curse words :russ:

My grandma got me Doggystyle for Christmas of 1993. It was all anyone listened to. Good times.

Daps
New Sherrif In Town

giphy.gif

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
I remember a Source article where they said when they played "Deez Nutz" during the Naughty By Nature "Hip Hop Hooray" video shoot that people were mesmerized especially to Nate Dogg's part cause it was like nothing they ever heard before.

:mjlol:

Deez nutz is such a jump in production from HipHop Hooray. I can picture them all mesmerized, They thought they were hearing magic.:ohhh:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
shyt took over. It was the first time hardcore west coast rap was played on the radio over here. Up until then we heard all the west coast shyt by watching music videos. Of course there was MC Hammer and Digital Underground but that’s about it. Everything changed over night. All of a sudden Just Like Compton and Indo Smoke was on the radio

nikkas like Domino :russ:

I was in the 6th grade. We instantly went from asking our parents for Cross Colors to asking for flannel
:dead:

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
shyt took over. It was the first time hardcore west coast rap was played on the radio over head. Up until then we heard all the west coast shyt by watching music videos. Of course there was MC Hammer and Digital Underground but that’s about it. Everything changed over night. All of a sudden Just Like Compton and Indo Smoke was on the radio

nikkas like Domino :russ:

I was in the 6th grade. We instantly went from asking our parents for Cross Colors to asking for flannel
:dead:
I would say this is true of Doggystyle but not really The Chronic. We got on it but we're a bit late to the party in NYC. I remember hearing the Chronic album around Christmas from a friend who just loved gansta shyt no matter where it was from but no one else was really into it. What sold it was BET and MTV and by the following summer everyone was feeling it and anticipating Doggystyle like the rest of the nation.

JMD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I had seen the album at the Wiz lol when it came out in December of ‘92 but didn’t get it until springtime ‘93 when the singles really took off on Hot 97...Doggystyle was an instant cop when it came out in November...I would say the West Coast took over the airwaves here but by ‘95 the East Coast and NYC rap had come back

L $ C

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:

Deez nutz is such a jump in production from HipHop Hooray. I can picture them all mesmerized, They thought they were hearing magic.:ohhh:
im overall an east coast dude but this is FACTS

the chronic blows me to this day i dont understand it almost....92 you create that and it sounds that crisp? almost doesnt make sense