What would you ask an Animation major?

Luna

All Star
Daps
I'm majoring in Animation (primarily 3D) and I'm filming a video for my Youtube channel answering a couple questions about my major. I was wondering if anyone had some fun/out of the ordinary questions? My channel is going to be primarily focused on digital art/graphic design and creative writing.
:patrice:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:leon:...............................................:yeshrug: that's a wide open question bruh. I couldn't even think of the first thing to ask because it's so broad.

I'd have to think about it and narrow it down first before I say anything:patrice:

It's like saying "does anyone have any interesting questions about .......cars"............................ :merchant:
"well, let me think on it" :ld:

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
how important is physics in what your learning overall. a lot of math we learn even as cs majors won't be needed later is it different with animation that deals heavily with motion

Luna

All Star
Daps
:leon:...............................................:yeshrug: that's a wide open question bruh. I couldn't even think of the first thing to ask because it's so broad.

I'd have to think about it and narrow it down first before I say anything:patrice:

It's like saying "does anyone have any interesting questions about .......cars"............................ :merchant:
"well, let me think on it" :ld:

Yes, it's a very broad subject. :ld: Thanks for taking your time to think though!

how important is physics in what your learning overall. a lot of math we learn even as cs majors won't be needed later is it different with animation that deals heavily with motion

Really good question. I feel like a lot of people would still be surprised at how essential physics, algebra and geometry are.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who is Miyazaki to you?

What emotion is hardest to convey in animation?
lol. heres your answer.
Mo’ princesses, mo’ problems. The new Disney fairy tale Frozen, which reimagines “The Snow Queen” by Hans Christian Anderson, has got two of them, voiced by Kirsten Bell and Idina Menzel. Anna (Bell) is a gutsy redhead with big eyes, a button nose, and a slim build. Her sister, Elsa (Menzel), is a wintry blond with big eyes, a button nose, and a slim build. Elsa has the magical ability to create ice and snow, and after she plunges the kingdom into eternal December, her sister has to figure out how to fix it (so go sibling relationships). The double princess thing probably works out well for Disney’s marketing department, since it gives them twice as many dolls and accessories to purvey to the youth. But, as head animator Lino Disalvo told blogger Jenna Busch, it was super tricky from an artistic perspective. That’s because women are a total hassle to bring to life on screen, what with their fluctuating feelings always threatening to get in the way of their beauty. Disalvo:

Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, cause they have to go through these range of emotions, but they’re very, very — you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to — you can get them off a model very quickly. So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna (Kristen Bell) being angry.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Question:
Where do you derive your influences and how do you utilize them?

Context:
(Using food as an example you can ether view the food as a dish; whole sale taking a plate of spaghetti and try to reproduce it with bigger/smaller meatballs, more/less sauce, thicker/thinner pasta, etc on the other hand you can view the food as a series of ingredients taking the pasta in and of itself adding chicken to it or you can take the sauce in and of it self pouring it over baked chicken) When dealing with art I notice people just whole sale taking whatever they grew up on and reproducing it with minor changes(like painting the characters black) as though there are no other influences(ingredients) in the world.
I don't want to see a "pseudo" superman, wonder woman, goku, etc painted black :snoop:

Question:
Do you have access to your own heritage via class materials that you can use as influences(ingredients) or do you have to basically go off what ever European art they show you & TV you grew up on?

Context:
This is a play on the first question and assumes you are African American.

Question:
Does your class focus on model construction / key frame(wrong term) animation only? Do you deal with integration considerations with gaming engines?

Context:
When dealing with game engines they take care of physics proceduraly and with animation blending certain aspects of animation are also handled by the rendering engine. If your focus is on tv & movies then I assume you'd deal with physics your self; while if your focus is gaming, the engine will handle physics(certain aspects of animation) for you.

Question:
Do you use equidistant triangles when constructing models? Is that even discussed? Is there any real benefit?

Context:
a.
Theoretically you can use triangles to render any shape. b. The speed of the render changes given the fill rate. c. the fill rate is dependent on the size of the triangle. d. the cpu typically process vectors in huge batches of data SIMD "Single Instruction Multiple Data" e. I typically see artist use triangles of all different shapes instead of a medley of triangles all the same base size. f. I assume this slows down the render time. ...though I could be wrong
:ehh:

:jbhmm: yeah, thats it .........:whew:
:ufdup:" your turn"

Last edited: