What year did R&B fall off ?

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
Like the thread title says when did R&b music pretty much fall off? Sure there are some R&b singers who are doing okay but the genre is no near as popular as it was when I was a kid in the 90's or even the 2000's. Was it around the time Chris Brown assualted Rihanna or was it when Usher and other R&b singers started doing dance pop type records. Or was it when artist's like Chris Brown decided they would rather Rap then sing?

Jinx`

Well damn.
Daps
Reppin
15-10
It started dying precisely when Aaliyah died

Like a plane that stalled out.. It crashed when Neyo fell off

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
That was it for me you had a couple of people putting out some heat Dream, Ne-Yo but it was nowhere the classics we were getting just a couple years before. Usher put out here I stand(love on this club :ohlawd:) which was good but couldn't compare to confessions. Bhris Breezy was poised to be next golden boy but we never got that magnum opus type album and he wasn't able to make that last jump into the stratusphere and now Bruno has surpassed him :scust:

Suzie

Pro
Daps
It fell off when the economy went bad. Around that time there was a pop/edm wave and the labels went away from r&b because it wasnt as popular. Now they’re pushing hip hop/rap because it makes the most money. If the industry wants r&b back then they’ll start pushing it

Last edited:

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
It fell off when the economy went bad. Around that time there was a pop/den wave and the labels went away from r&b because it wasnt as popular. Now they’re pushing hip hop/rap because it makes the most money. If the industry wants r&b back then they’ll start pushing it

You got a point I believe on average it would take more time and money to produce an Rnb project over a hip-hop joint

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
It didn't
fukk yea it did !!!

First if you remember r&b songs started featuring a damm rapper on every song !!!!!!

Them rappers like drake who could hold a tone started mixing melodies into hip hop . Then didn't really need singers cause they would sing rap .

I'm so happy R&B is coming back so strong for the last two years or so .

I just wish their wasn't so much cursing I really dislike cursing in anything but hip hop .

Suzie

Pro
Daps
You got a point I believe on average it would take more time and money to produce an Rnb project over a hip-hop joint
Maybe, maybe not but when it comes to female artist they are more expensive.
The industry isn’t really making superstars like they use to. It’s not as lucrative