When did "dub" become a negative?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yes :flabbynsick:

But when the hell did dub - which once meant win, $20, 20 sack, and of course those GS Warriors - become a loss/wack? Cap was a weird flip going from once meaning to clown/diss to lie, but how do you take a word meaning win and make it the complete opposite?
I think the transition happened because of

George W. Bush

Aintnobodystupid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC

A comment on the video breaks it down:

richhighnfly

I'm glad he let is be known that "dub" started in New York.. "Dub" is short for Double O which is a blood code that means no good, lame, hit, over, or etc it all depend on the context in which its being used.. But shoutout to Maco for keeping it 100.. "Dub" is definitely NEW YORK SLANG

Last edited:
Daps
Edit: oops I used dud meaning. :mjlol:

But also dub used to mean recording as well but I haven’t heard that shyt in years lol

Cap always meant lie, first heard it when I moved to Tampa in the late 90s. I know it’s popping now to other states but it’s always been regional to westcoast Florida section.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But when the hell did dub - which once meant win, $20, 20 sack, and of course those GS Warriors - become a loss/wack? Cap was a weird flip going from once meaning to clown/diss to lie, but how do you take a word meaning win and make it the complete opposite?
I didn’t know this was being said outside NYC.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

Desus & Mero made it mainstream so I always took as some New York shyt