When You 1st Saw Gohan Reach SSJ2, Did You Know It Was SSJ2?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
The "international channel" here in michigan was airing the cell saga when CN was looping to where kakarot arrived on namek :beli:

Hearing the og "KAMEHAMEHAAAAAA" with the japanese voice vs the american was night and day...had me copping SUBTITLED .wmv files off BEARSHARE.

i also came up mostly on the japanese version.

i think like everyone i was introduced to DBZ on toonami in the late 90's, but there was a time when they would only air up the moment when goku landed on namek and then start all over again.

as i became more and more of a fan, with the help of the internet of course, i learned more about the OG japanese version and how the american version i had been exposed to was actually a b*stardized interpretation. and yea seeing some of those jap clips with the CRAZY voice acting and the SERIOUS, DRAMATIC music... had me fiending.

i met a kid in 8th grade who basically put me onto everything. told me about all the shyt that happened after the namek saga and all that shyt. about trunks, about cell, all of it. he had a few tapes with the subtitles he lent me and from there it was a wrap. i was hooked.

there was a store near me that sold the tapes of the entire series for 8 bucks a pop and each tape would usually have like 3-4 episodes on it. i cannot even begin to tell you how much money i spent in that store. :snoop: so sad. ended up gettin most of the series (cell saga and upwards) and most of the movies.

could never look at the US version the same ever again.:scusthov:

by the time they actually DID get around to showing the rest of the series here in the US i was already way ahead of the game. :win:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
i also came up mostly on the japanese version.

i think like everyone i was introduced to DBZ on toonami in the late 90's, but there was a time when they would only air up the moment when goku landed on namek and then start all over again.

as i became more and more of a fan, with the help of the internet of course, i learned more about the OG japanese version and how the american version i had been exposed to was actually a b*stardized interpretation. and yea seeing some of those jap clips with the CRAZY voice acting and the SERIOUS, DRAMATIC music... had me fiending.

i met a kid in 8th grade who basically put me onto everything. told me about all the shyt that happened after the namek saga and all that shyt. about trunks, about cell, all of it. he had a few tapes with the subtitles he lent me and from there it was a wrap. i was hooked.

there was a store near me that sold the tapes of the entire series for 8 bucks a pop and each tape would usually have like 3-4 episodes on it. i cannot even begin to tell you how much money i spent in that store. :snoop: so sad. ended up gettin most of the series and most of the movies.

could never look at the US version the same ever again.:scusthov:

by the time they actually DID get around to showing the rest of the series here in the US i was already way ahead of the game. :win:
Vegeta's disgust for goku was so evident in the japanese voice acting "KAKAROTTO!!!!! :demonic:"

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Vegeta's disgust for goku was so evident in the japanese voice acting "KAKAROTTO!!!!! :demonic:"

at first it was tough getting used to goku cause to the uninitiated i guess he sounds like a fakkit... but once you get used to it you really can't envision anything else. :yeshrug:

and yea vegeta's voice was DEFINITELY better in the jap version however i do have a soft spot for the dude who played him in america PRIOR to the redub. "YOU WON'T ESCAPE MY WRAAAATHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:damn::damn::damn:"

actually the OG english cast was pretty damn good:ehh:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I never have been able to get used to Goku's Japanese voice, dude basically sounds the same way he did at 12. Like a women or little kid...just can't get with it. Same with Gohan. Other than that the Japanese voices are cool.

Still, the Funimation voices are what I'm used to. :manny:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I never have been able to get used to Goku's Japanese voice, dude basically sounds the same way he did at 12. Like a women or little kid...just can't get with it. Same with Gohan. Other than that the Japanese voices are cool.

Still, the Funimation voices are what I'm used to. :manny:

goku is basically an overgrown child though. that's why the japanese voice and characterization is so perfect imo.

the american version tried to portray him as this noble superman type but the guy who voices him sounds wayyy too nerdy.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
DBZ is one of the rare animes where the english dub is superior to the Japanese version imo. I put Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho up there too.