Where does Vol. 1 In My Lifetime rank in Jay Z's catalog?

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
A lot of people slept on RD then hailed it a classic later. I think Vol. 1 doesn't get properly appreciated though. Lyrically, there was no drop off from RD. He was still at his peak lyrically. He started "dumbing down for my audience to double my dollars" on Vol. 2.

It's 3rd in his catalog after RD and BP to me. It's slightly better than The Cac Album and American Gangster. It's got two tracks that were :trash: (Girls Like, Sunshine) and one that was meh (The City Is Mine). It had some serious bangers on it though. Imaginary Player was just :banderas:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
  1. Reasonable Doubt
  2. Blueprint
  3. Hard Knock Life
  4. Black Album
  5. In my Lifetime
Just my preferences

Farrinto

Who's the best MCs? Biggie, Jay-Z, and Nas
Daps
Reppin
Philly
BP and RD would be tied for #2. It had so many classic songs and was Jay-Z at his artistic peak imo. It is one of the greatest sophomore hip-hop albums of all time to me.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Reasonable Doubt
Blueprint
American Gangster
Black Album
Vol 1

The dope tracks are really dope but the wack ones are all types of terrible. But it's a better listen for me than Dynasty or vol 3 or 2

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
3rd..behind Reasonable Doubt and Blueprint.
It's not perfect but it's got more classic Jay records on it than any of his other albums that isn't RD
list them.

Because i cant think of more "classic records" than

Hard Knock Life, Can I Get A, Reservoir Dogs, Money Aint a Thing, A Week Ago (and even it's Alright to me)
or
Allure, PSA, Dirt of your Shoulder, Encore, 99 Problems, My 1st Song, Dec 4th

What is your definition of classic friend?

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Reasonable Doubt
The Black Album
The Blueprint
In My Lifetime Vol.1
Watch The Throne

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
list them.

Because i cant think of more "classic records" than

Hard Knock Life, Can I Get A, Reservoir Dogs, Money Aint a Thing, A Week Ago (and even it's Alright to me)
or
Allure, PSA, Dirt of your Shoulder, Encore, 99 Problems, My 1st Song, Dec 4th

What is your definition of classic friend?

A Million/Rhyme No More, Imaginary Player, Streets Is Watching, Rap Game/Crack Game, Where I'm From
for me I'd consider Who You Wit too and some might say You Must Love Me

other albums have more important songs for his career but those ones I mentioned are some of my favorite Jay joints and I still listen to heavily.

Kitsune

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If.Jay.stayed.in.his.lane.and.didnt.put.profit.over.the.music,he.wouldve.been.the.GOAT.easy

Vol.1.was.the.last.real.Jay.Z.album.in.my.eyes.and.even.then.their.was.a.few.cuts.on.their.tha,forshadowed.the.direction.his.music.was.going.

If.he.atleast,waited,until.after.dropping.VOL.3.to.sell.out.I.wouldnt.even.blame.him,because.The.Blueprint.BA.and.AG.is.still.something.nice.to.fall.back.on.but.saying.fukk.it.ima.stop.trying,after.your.second.LP.is.disheartning

Last edited: