Which non-football player do you think would dominate the NFL combine?

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
I think Westbrook would have a crazy 40 time and vert. Not sure how he'd do on the bench press

I think Mike trout would have a good showing all around too

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You guys don't realize how far behind all other sports are in comparison to the NFL in terms of pure athleticism.

NFL players have FAR better 40 times than any other sport. If Lebron or Westbrook or Rickey could do anything at the NFL combine, it would be to "hope" to get a 40 time that would put them at the level of the other guys. They wouldn't dominate.

Same with verticals. You would think that basketball players jump more. But look at actual combine results, and compare like-to-like (standing verts, don't be dumb and compare standing verts to run-up verts) and you'll see that football players jump much better than basketball players. They're just that much better athletes.

And, of course, the football players are going to be stronger.

The issue is that to make it in basketball, you emphasize certain attributes (height, shooting, ballhandling, court IQ) that have little to nothing to do with football athleticism. So the best pure athletes for the football field won't necessarily succeed on the bball court. Football has some skills that matter, different ones at different positions, but outside of QB the sport is far, far more about pure athleticism than bball is.

The only guys from any sport who I think would have even a tiny chance of "dominating" the NFL combine are track and field athletes. Maybe the odd elite rugby player. Not to say that some ballers like Lebron couldn't play TE in the league, but they certainly wouldn't "dominate" the combine.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OP asked about the combine. Not the league.

Don't think Lebron's 40 time would be that good :jbhmm:

I think John Wall would dominate though except the bench. But everything else would be :ohhh:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
You guys don't realize how far behind all other sports are in comparison to the NFL in terms of pure athleticism.

NFL players have FAR better 40 times than any other sport. If Lebron or Westbrook or Rickey could do anything at the NFL combine, it would be to "hope" to get a 40 time that would put them at the level of the other guys. They wouldn't dominate.

Same with verticals. You would think that basketball players jump more. But look at actual combine results, and compare like-to-like (standing verts, don't be dumb and compare standing verts to run-up verts) and you'll see that football players jump much better than basketball players. They're just that much better athletes.

And, of course, the football players are going to be stronger.

The issue is that to make it in basketball, you emphasize certain attributes (height, shooting, ballhandling, court IQ) that have little to nothing to do with football athleticism. So the best pure athletes for the football field won't necessarily succeed on the bball court. Football has some skills that matter, different ones at different positions, but outside of QB the sport is far, far more about pure athleticism than bball is.

The only guys from any sport who I think would have even a tiny chance of "dominating" the NFL combine are track and field athletes. Maybe the odd elite rugby player. Not to say that some ballers like Lebron couldn't play TE in the league, but they certainly wouldn't "dominate" the combine.

Not sure I agree with this. Actually underrated athletes are baseball players. Most think football players are great athletes anyway.

Basketball players play both offense and defense though. Endurance is high. My goat MJ ran a 4.2-4.3 40 yd dash and had a 48" vertical being 6'6. Not to mention oversized hands, he'd have been randy moss before randy moss.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Not sure I agree with this. Actually underrated athletes are baseball players. Most think football players are great athletes anyway.

Look at the combine results. NFL combine results for vertical jump are WAY above NBA combine results.

So if football players are much better jumpers, which is the one athletic skill that's more important in the NBA than the NFL, then how are they not going to be FAR better on 40-yard sprinting and upper-body strength, which enormously important in the NFL and barely relevant in the NBA?

Basketball players play both offense and defense though. Endurance is high. My goat MJ ran a 4.2-4.3 40 yd dash and had a 48" vertical being 6'6. Not to mention oversized hands, he'd have been randy moss before randy moss.

But endurance isn't measured in the combine, so how does that help an NBA player have a better combine?

Not that you're right. People who haven't played underestimate the degree of endurance required for football, because you go all-out so hard on every play. For 90% of players, a large % of your time on offense and defense both, you're not moving much, and even when you're moving you're not moving at top speed. The only guys who really get completely wasted in a basketball game are high-usage stars or really intense defense-focused players who play 40+ minutes. But in a football game, for a lot of players you're doing nearly every play at top speed or top power, and you have to do it for the whole play. After a football game, pretty much every starter is wiped out.

And no, Jordan did not have a 4.2 forty. :mjlol: Dean Smith claimed a 4.3 forty for Jordan once but he was obviously bullshytting for his own player and that was not a real time. Jordan never, ever demonstrated anything like 4.3 forty speed at any point in his career. Maybe 4.5-4.6, at the most, but I'd have to see it to be convinced he hit even that. And MJ's vertical was never 48", otherwise he would have had most of his head above the rim when he dunked. He at best would have been somewhere around a 42" run-up vertical, something significantly less than that in a real, standing-measured vertical.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Ya'all want to compare the NBA combine's 185lb bench press numbers to the NFL combine's 225lb numbers?

Just the fact that the NFL players are pushing 225lb tells you something. I'm not sure that Kevin Durant would have been able to get that up once when he came in the league. :lolbron:

Here's the conversation killer - Tim Tebow had a better standing vert than Vince Carter

Standing vert by some NBA players

Iman Shumpert - 36.5
vince carter - 36
Nate Robinson - 35
Derrick Rose - 34.5
jason richardson - 32.5
blake griffin - 32
D Wade - 31.5
dwight howard - 30.5
OJ Mayo - 30.5
Devin Harris - 30.5
Corey Brewer - 30.5
russell westbrook - 30
John Wall - 30
Evan Turner - 27.5
Ty Lawson - 29
tyreke evans - 28.5
Taj Gibson - 25.5

DraftExpress: Pre Draft Measurements

NFL players

Tim Tebow - 38.5
Jimmy Graham(former basketball player) - 38
Andrew luck - 36
Tyson Alualu - 35.5
Donald Stephenson(OT, 2010 draft, 6ft 5 1/2, 312lb) - 35.5
Lydon Murtha - 35.5
Jake Locker - 35
Christian Ponder - 34
Mark Sanchez - 32.5
Brian Hoyer - 32
Matt Khalil - 30
Stephen Schilling - 30

2010 NBA draft measurements. 32 inch was the highest.

2008 35inch was the best

2009 34inch was the best

Compare that to the NFL, where you might even see a lineman reach 32".

2012 NFL Combine: OG

(links and lists stolen from Football Focus)

OP asked about the combine. Not the league.

Don't think Lebron's 40 time would be that good :jbhmm:

I think John Wall would dominate though except the bench. But everything else would be :ohhh:

Lebron was supposed to have run a 4.6 forty. As fast as he is baseline-to-baseline, I can believe that. That wouldn't "dominate" the combine, but it would make him about average for tight ends.

John Wall's vertical from a standing start is 30 inches, barely above NFL average. I don't think his 40 would be special for whatever position he'd be playing either. And the bench would be weak. But his agility might be strong.

Last edited:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nate Robinson in his prime but he was essentially a football player anyway.

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
Westbrook's vert was only 30 inches? That is mind blowing to me

I know lebatard has said that Dwayne's vert was 36 inches same as andrew luck. That's pretty amazing to me. I thought Dwayne would be over 40 and luck no where near 36

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
standing vert is different from running. Takes a lot of power for standing verts to be high. Also a lot of basketball players are tall and their actual leaping ability looks better than it is because A.) they are tall and/or B.) they are getting a running start

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Westbrook's vert was only 30 inches? That is mind blowing to me

I know lebatard has said that Dwayne's vert was 36 inches same as andrew luck. That's pretty amazing to me. I thought Dwayne would be over 40 and luck no where near 36

Westbrook gets into the air extremely quick which is why he dunks like he can.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
NBA players would suck and that's not a diss. Its not just about natural athleticism either. Basketball requires agility, flexibility, length and lateral quickness. Football is all about short burst explosion. First steps, acceleration, and lower body strength are vital to almost every position which is why NFL players will typically have better verts and short area speed because they literally train for it and strength programs emphasize those things. At the same time most NFL players would look extremely stiff and tight on a basketball court against NBA players. Just different body types. For instance Russy Westbrook is listed at 6'3" 200lbs. Harrison Smith, one of the most versatile athletes at safety in the NFL is listed at 6'2" 213. Kam Chancellor is 6'4" 225. Russ would be skinny by NFL standards so why do we assume he'd be more explosive than those guys? Imagine Russ with 15-25lbs more of muscle and that's an NFL safety

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
they use their athleticism in different ways and are typically built different
a life time of training and practice in one discipline makes it hard to make cross comparisons