Who Controls Our Time?- How Unions wanted to lower the work rate by the hour

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
As the bumper sticker has it, unions are “the folks who brought you the weekend.” Unions fought for the 10-hour day, and then the eight-hour day… and then our fight stopped. We never got to a six-hour-day fight.

Instead we started to backslide. We not only lost the weekend; we lost control over our time. This slippage mirrors the decline in real wages over the last generation—both signs that organized labor has gotten weaker.

In 1960 the paid work hours for U.S. workers were roughly comparable to those in Europe. These days, U.S. workers put in at least 300 more paid work hours per year than workers in Scandinavian countries, Germany, or the Netherlands, and at least 250 hours a year more than workers in France, the U.K., or Austria.

Today, struggles over work time are more defensive than offensive. Some workers want more hours, while others want fewer. Still others are campaigning for paid family leave.

People don’t always understand these struggles as connected. But we see a principle that underlies them all: everyone wants more say over when and how much they work.

TIME TO GET WELL
Denying sick leave is often the clearest and most outrageous way that an employer states his view of the world: that the job comes before everything; that his profits are what counts.

Consider the situation five years ago at a typical (nonunion) nursing home in Massachusetts. On paper, the workers got paid sick leave—six days a year. But if they actually used a day of sick leave they got a verbal warning; a second day led to a written warning; a third day, a stronger warning; the fourth day, the worker was fired.

It didn’t matter why the worker was out, even if her child or mother, or she herself, was hospitalized. The clock reset every 90 days, but suppose you’re a single parent with two kids. One gets sick, then the other gets sick, and soon you’re in a bind. Do you leave the sick child at home alone (and get blamed for being a negligent parent) or miss work and get fired?

In Massachusetts and a dozen other states, plus numerous cities, unions and community groups have mounted campaigns and voters have passed laws guaranteeing all workers paid sick days and the right to use them without penalty.

The story is similar for family leave. Federal law says firms must guarantee 12 weeks of leave to workers with a new baby or an immediate family member who’s seriously ill. But the leave is unpaid, and applies to only 40 percent of workers—those who have enough hours at a large-enough employer. It also doesn’t apply if you’re caring for a relative who isn’t considered immediate family.

Polls show large majorities of voters support guaranteeing paid sick leave (85 percent) and paid family leave (82 percent for mothers following the birth or adoption of a child). When these measures get on the ballot, they win: 10 states and Washington, D.C., require paid sick leave, and five states and D.C. will require paid family leave by 2020. In many more states such legislation is pending.

But even when the laws pass, enforcement is a problem. Between a quarter and a half of covered private employers do not provide the benefits required by the federal Family and Medical Leave Act. Unions help; a U.S. woman is 17 percent more likely to take maternity leave if she is represented by a union.

SCHEDULE FIGHTS
For many low-wage workers, the key problem is getting enough hours to support themselves and their families. Employers have gotten creative, creating unpredictable work schedules that minimize paid hours by keeping workers in limbo.

Retail sales workers face “just-in-time scheduling,” or as one put it: “I have a ‘maybe’ schedule.” Odd hours are posted and changed at the last minute; workers are expected to drop everything to come to work. If the weather changes or customer demand drops, workers are sent home without pay.

Young workers especially are coming to assume they can’t expect the kind of “regular hours” that would let them make plans and keep them.

Employers use a variety of high-tech scheduling programs to avoid “overstaffing” and paying for full-time work. After all, what we call downtime or adequate staffing, they call waste. Companies can boost profits if managers can shave even 15 minutes off the schedule, and do that a few dozen times a year to thousands of workers.

Here too, workers are fighting back, and some are winning laws to control these abusive scheduling practices. (See box.)

TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE?
UPS is a poster child for two opposite scheduling problems. The workers who load and unload packages are overwhelmingly part-time. They want full-time jobs with better pay and benefits.

Meanwhile package car drivers only have the right to request to go home after 9.5 hours—and they have a really hard time enforcing even that. To top it off, the company can now assign weekend work without paying a premium.

Too many hours and too few hours can work to reinforce each other. Some workers are kept under the part-time threshold, to avoid paying health benefits, by piling more work on existing full-timers.

In many industries, workers differ—some want overtime, others don’t. The key is that workers through their unions should get to negotiate a fair system.

Some unions—for example, firefighters—develop elaborate contract provisions to be sure that every worker has an equal chance to work overtime, seen as a valuable perk. In other unions—for example, nurses—the union contract more often focuses on ways to avoid mandatory overtime, as unpredictable hours create family problems.

Another variation: often workers want to concentrate their hours into fewer days, working four 10-hour days instead of five eights. Nurses often choose to work three 12-hour days; in some places their unions have won 40 hours’ pay for that schedule.

A NEW WORLD
In Britain, the Trade Union Congress (roughly the equivalent of the AFL-CIO) recently proposed fighting, over the long term, to move to four eight-hour days—with weekly pay staying the same.

Even when our demands sound opposite, most workers want similar things: a predictable schedule with reasonable hours that ensures acceptable wages, health benefits, and time off to care for oneself and one’s family. We should reunite around those shared demands.

And whether we’re fighting for a contract or a law, we should frame every time-related fight as part of the same vision—that workers own our time.

Who Controls Our Time?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i dont know how fair it is that a company should pay you for not showing up to to work for 3 months after you have a kid. frankly if you're having the kid you should have that saved up anyway

thats never gonna pass anyway without being able to differentiate between big business and small business. maybe the government should split the cost with the business or something

i mean make the business pay for two weeks OK, but 3 months is a lot of fukkin time

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
:yeshrug: companies aren't people.

i dont know how fair it is that a company should pay you for not showing up to to work for 3 months after you have a kid. frankly if you're having the kid you should have that saved up anyway

thats never gonna pass anyway without being able to differentiate between big business and small business. maybe the government should split the cost with the business or something

i mean make the business pay for two weeks OK, but 3 months is a lot of fukkin time

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The amount of hours worked should changed depending on what you actually do or need to do to produce the same results.

For instance, due to computers/automation, etc.

I have certain duties or things that I need to do every single day at my job. They will constantly ad things to that plate over time. But me being me, I will always attempt to find a more efficient way to do these job duties. Especially if something about them is repetitive. I make templates for darn near everything I can. meaning, I will not have to recreate every thing from scratch every single time a task is due. I will utilize said template to skip 10 steps and be done with it in a quarter of the time of the time. not half, like literally half of a half of the time.

Now think about this for a moment. lets say I did the math and pulled stats on how much cash each duty of mine is bringing in for the company.

So lets say over all I'm bringing in $10 a day for the company when I complete all 4 of my duties.

i got hired and get paid to perform 4 duties per day, 5 days a week, unless i'm taking time off. Notice i didnt mention 40 hours a week. because thats just a number they THOUGHT it would take me to perform said duties. What if I now know how to cut that time down to 10 hours. But yet i'm completing all those same weekly tasks but in 10 hours vs the 40 allotted. And lets assume its at the same quality. Therefore, I'm bringing in the same amt of money to the company just in 10 hours. Why do I have to sit at my desk for the remaining 30 hours twiddling my thumbs, spinning around in my chair making paper airplanes? Doesnt make sense. Someone will say "well you should work on other things(thats what I actually do but that besides the point.) If i work on something else, and that produces even more money for the company with that 40 hour time frame. Shouldnt i then be getting paid for OVER TIME. since I'm producing more in my allotted hours than they first thought I could? YEP. but they wont pay you for that because to them it isnt over time until its over your 40 or over 8 hours per day(Cali rules.) This is stupid and doesnt make logical sense. You pay me to do a job. if i do that job. I'm done for the day. or you need to pay me for any extras duties I perform within that 40 hour time span.

Letting me go home after I'm done would save the company more money. less electricity being used. You wont have to watch me like a hawk to make sure i'm LOOKING LIKE I"M WORKING, etc.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
"Consider the situation five years ago at a typical (nonunion) nursing home in Massachusetts. On paper, the workers got paid sick leave—six days a year. But if they actually used a day of sick leave they got a verbal warning; a second day led to a written warning; a third day, a stronger warning; the fourth day, the worker was fired."

:dahell:

I swear when I was a kid everything we were taught was that America is steadily improving, but the last two decades it's been looking the opposite to me.

Another example of "American claims something is impossible to solve that is solved just fine in every other 1st-world country." :heh:

0z0erorv4xs01.png

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Consider the situation five years ago at a typical (nonunion) nursing home in Massachusetts. On paper, the workers got paid sick leave—six days a year. But if they actually used a day of sick leave they got a verbal warning; a second day led to a written warning; a third day, a stronger warning; the fourth day, the worker was fired."

I swear when I was a kid everything we were taught was that America is steadily improving, but the last two decades it's been looking the opposite to me.

Another example of "American claims something is impossible to solve that is solved just fine in every other 1st-world country." :heh:

0z0erorv4xs01.png
:ehh: interesting

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na

Fukk the company
They don’t give a shyt about u

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

0z0erorv4xs01.png
Canada actually has 9 months parental leave with up to 55% of wages paid.

And, any decent employer will top that amount up to a certain percentage (mine tops up to 93%).

Plenty of co-workers who are the sole earners have taken off for 9 months, some numerous times, with zero repercussion.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
A four day workweek was planned, but it was gutted when unions were gutted in the 80s when Reagan was in power.