Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-15-who-needs-games-playstation-4s-first-year

And so we find PS4 facing Christmas with one of the weakest exclusive line-ups on record,:huhldup: and a third-party slate that's not much better. PS4's best games, from Shadow of Mordor to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, can almost without exception be played on PS3. True new-generation games like Batman: Arkham City and The Witcher 3 have retreated into 2015 - and a good thing too, if the shambles that is the one exception, Assassin's Creed Unity, is anything to go by. The rest are remasters. Once again: why have we bought these machines?

Even allowing for DriveClub, and PSN's ups and downs (mostly downs), and those damned rubber sticks, Sony has had a great year. PlayStation 4 has had a great year. But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really.:wow: We've done our part: bought the machines in good faith and persuaded ourselves that those extra frames per second, those extra lines of resolution, are really worth it. It's getting hard to keep that up. The PS4 must be the most successful console without a killer app there's ever been, but its momentum can't last forever, its feelgood factor has worn off, and its opponent has got its act together. Sony - and all your partners - it's over to you.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
I think people forget that part of why people bought the PS4 in the first place was because of its promise.

The PS3 finished really strong in 2013 (I mean the Last of Us released on the PS3 only 4-5 months before the PS4 came out. That's a sign of heavy support for a console.) and Sony has had a history of supporting its platforms well after they release and are gone, so that made it easier for people to transition over.

And also, Sony has a history of giving heavy first-party support regardless of the amount of third-party games it has, so that helps too. And proof of that is how we're getting Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, The Tomorrow Children, and other games next year. And we still have the unannounced games too.

And the large amount of Indies. And the FTP's as well.

And plus, Sony has been known to fund games and continue trying to make games of certain styles regardless of their sales, (for instance, they'll still make games like Puppeteer despite its sales. Because they want some diversity, as where Microsoft probably won't ever make a game like Sunset Overdrive again since it actually didn't sell very well.) So there's so much promise for it.

Also, PlayStation is the most important brand for Sony right now (it's their only venture bringing in consistent profit), as where Microsoft didn't mind mangling around the Xbox One early on.

I mean, Microsoft cut short the original Xbox (it was only on the market from 2001 to 2005), and they abandoned the Xbox 360 after Halo 4 launched in 2012.

But Sony? They were still releasing BIG GAMES for the PS1 in 2000 (including Final fukking Fantasy IX, and Vagrant Story), months after the PS2 already launched.

Heck, God of War 2 and DBZ:BT3 released for the PS2 in 2007, a year after the PS3 launched.

Plus, it's been cheaper, and more powerful, and positioned as more of gaming device for a longer time than the Xbox One, so that helps too.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think people forget that part of why people bought the PS4 in the first place was because of its promise.

The PS3 finished really strong in 2013 (I mean the Last of Us released on the PS3 only 4-5 months before the PS4 came out. That's a sign of heavy support for a console.) and Sony has had a history of supporting its platforms well after they release and are gone, so that made it easier for people to transition over.

And also, Sony has a history of giving heavy first-party support regardless of the amount of third-party games it has, so that helps too. And proof of that is how we're getting Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, The Tomorrow Children, and other games next year. And we still have the unannounced games too.

And the large amount of Indies. And the FTP's as well.

And plus, Sony has been known to fund games and continue trying to make games of certain styles regardless of their sales, (for instance, they'll still make games like Puppeteer despite its sales. Because they want some diversity, as where Microsoft probably won't ever make a game like Sunset Overdrive again since it actually didn't sell very well.) So there's so much promise for it.

Also, PlayStation is the most important brand for Sony right now (it's their only venture bringing in consistent profit), as where Microsoft didn't mind mangling around the Xbox One early on.

I mean, Microsoft cut short the original Xbox (it was only on the market from 2001 to 2005), and they abandoned the Xbox 360 after Halo 4 launched in 2012.

But Sony? They were still releasing BIG GAMES for the PS1 in 2000 (including Final fukking Fantasy IX, and Vagrant Story), months after the PS2 already launched.

Heck, God of War 2 and DBZ:BT3 released for the PS2 in 2007, a year after the PS3 launched.

Plus, it's been cheaper, and more powerful, and positioned as more of gaming device for a longer time than the Xbox One, so that helps too.

So much not true here. Microsoft funds and continues to fun risky games even more so than Sony as of late. Also x360 is still being supported now and had a really good year for excusive games, much better than PS3. So you can't claim 360 was abandoned.

The rest of your post is just excuses. PS4 has had poor first party support since launch. It's selling off hype alone. Sony doesnt have the money to invest in games like they used to and it shows. All of their moves lately have been to protect the bottom line since playstation is the only thing keeping their company afloat. That's why they are investing in low risk games like indies and FTP, and they are concentrating their investments in services like PSnow and PSTV ect.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
So much not true here. Microsoft funds and continues to fun risky games even more so than Sony as of late. Also x360 is still being supported now and had a really good year for excusive games, much better than PS3. So you can't claim 360 was abandoned.

The rest of your post is just excuses. PS4 has had poor first party support since launch. It's selling off hype alone. Sony doesnt have the money to invest in games like they used to and it shows. All of their moves lately have been to protect the bottom line since playstation is the only thing keeping their company afloat. That's why they are investing in low risk games like indies and FTP, and they are concentrating their investments in services like PSnow and PSTV ect.

What 360 games? List major 360 exclusives after Halo 4.

List examples of Microsoft funded risky games. I agree with Dead Rising 3 (if you even count that as risky), but they tend to only do that early in the generations, then they just stop halfway through.

My post actually had examples, your post doesn't.

And I'm not excusing jackshyt. I'm explaining why the PS4 is selling. You say it's "hype". And guess what makes up that hype?

All the stuff I mentioned makes up that hype.

And are you forgetting all the big exclusives that are coming next year that I mentioned? Get out of here with that "all their moves are to protect the bottom line" stuff.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What 360 games? List major 360 exclusives after Halo 4.
State of decay
Battlblock theater
Titanfall
Forza Horizon 2

And there's FTP games like Warface and world of tanks.

List examples of Microsoft funded risky games. I agree with Dead Rising 3 (if you even count that as risky), but they tend to only do that early in the generations, then they just stop halfway through.
The games stated above, also sunset overdrive, scream ride, project spark, and plenty more.

My post actually had examples, your post doesn't.

And I'm not excusing jackshyt. I'm explaining why the PS4 is selling. You say it's "hype". And guess what makes up that hype?

All the stuff I mentioned makes up that hype.

And are you forgetting all the big exclusives that are coming next year that I mentioned? Get out of here with that "all their moves are to protect the bottom line" stuff.
Most of the stuff you mentioned was untrue, just "hype"

Its the truth. It's why their focus has been on indies and selling services. Sony needs money bad they don't have extra cash to risk like micorsoft and Nintendo.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
PS4's best games, from Shadow of Mordor to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, can almost without exception be played on PS3. True new-generation games like Batman: Arkham City and The Witcher 3 have retreated into 2015 - and a good thing too, if the shambles that is the one exception, Assassin's Creed Unity, is anything to go by. The rest are remasters. Once again: why have we bought these machines?
Can't the same be said for XB1??

Those titles are multiplatform games and are on Xbox 1 also. Hell Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, are on 360 and Halo is a remaster of Xbox/Xbox 360 games.
I already know what you're going to say(Bu but but FH2 is a different beast on Xbox 1 and and and Halo is a culmination of a project with love poured in spanning across 100 maps blah blah). nikka :stopitslime: It's a remaster of a game that's already made. It ain't no new game and it doesn't even work properly right now.

These cats been trying to push this "PS4 no gamezuh" narrative for far too long. shyt is ridiculous and is factually false even if you only count retail titles. I know the "indie games don't count" defense brigade is coming.

Last edited: