Who Should Own Photos of Slaves? The Descendants, not Harvard, a Lawsuit Says

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS

The question remains what Ms. Lanier would do with the images of Renty and Delia if she were to win her case in court.
:rudy: Sound familiar? Don't worry about wtf she gon do with them. It would be well within her rights to do exactly what Harvard did with the images (which is to say, let them sit on a shelf for 100+ yrs).

Paternalistic b*stards.:camby:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@DPresidential @Nicole0416 -- Afternoon :smile:

I have a question. I am not sure if you can help me with it.

But, if a Civil Rights Org - is not practicing their stated goals and discriminating against a race/ethnicity - other than calling them to task by writing letters to their board and organization -- and in addition to getting press to cover the discrimination -- is there anything to do to try to get the org investigated or in trouble?

Or to be investigated for hiring and discrimination practices?

Similar to how the SPLC is going through issues -- they also do not hire Black Americans -- or advance them to higher ranks in their orgs. Or have many on their boards -- and some who are anti-Black on their boards.

How can one call these orgs who do not practice what they preach as orgs to task? Well, other than the normal tactics.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@DPresidential @Nicole0416 -- Afternoon :smile:

I have a question. I am not sure if you can help me with it.

But, if a Civil Rights Org - is not practicing their stated goals and discriminating against a race/ethnicity - other than calling them to task by writing letters to their board and organization -- and in addition to getting press to cover the discrimination -- is there anything to do to try to get the org investigated or in trouble?

Or to be investigated for hiring and discrimination practices?

Similar to how the SPLC is going through issues -- they also do not hire Black Americans -- or advance them to higher ranks in their orgs. Or have many on their boards -- and some who are anti-Black on their boards.

How can one call these orgs who do not practice what they preach as orgs to task? Well, other than the normal tactics.
Hi! hmmm... Let me look into this; I'll see what I can come up with. Interesting timing bc I was reading up some info on Caricom the other day - from another discussion group. (not saying that's who you are referencing but I find that a lot of these so-called civil rights organizations rarely put grassroots level black thinkers in their employ or those that share a common interests other than name recognition- like their work is counterintuitive or in conflict with the goals and mission statements that the organization is supposed to represent). Another issue is how orgs like SPLC and Urban Institute hire white managers as their main litigators when there's capable black attorneys or black urban planners who can act as leaders in those positions. Lack of representation in organizations whose primary purpose is to help blacks but discriminate or have a culture that is not supportive of blacks.
(I've been working on a list of situations- my friend is a legal blogger. Doing research in reference to legal precedents for reparations, and working on articles for the Ferguson death investigations, Baltimore lead investigations and I didn't forget about the subject in the OP - how universities, museums, corporation etc profit off slavery- those ownership issues; I'll add this one too). Legit get scatterbrained sometimes bc once that research rabbithole is opened - it's so much info to gather at one time. Then it's like once it's compiled, how to spread the message, get some sort of push and momentum going. Lastly, there's implementation - legal and policy that actually makes all that work effective.

Last edited:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Related article:
Along the lines of these so called "top tier" universities benefiting from the slave trade. UK Universities have set up a 100million dollar reparations fund. The US sets up monuments and symbolic efforts. A Freedom of Information Act request was sent to all UK Universities. The University of East London has been sending Freedom of Information requests to other UK universities to see if their institutions had received money from the slave trade between the 16th and 19th Century - with the findings to be gathered next month.

Meanwhile at Georgetown - they're giving out chump change. US Universities are offering symbolic gestures which is b.s.. Seems that in applying the UK process - send FOIA requests to U.S. Universities to determine their specific links to their associations with slavery.

Cambridge investigates its slavery links
"But the panel is just as interested in the way scholars at the university helped shape public and political opinion, supporting, reinforcing and sometimes contesting racial attitudes which are repugnant in the 21st Century."

It will also consider how the university might make reparation for any links to the legacy of the slave trade - whether in symbolic terms, such as monuments or re-naming buildings, or in funding bursaries or foundations.

Prof Millett highlighted that the University of Glasgow is setting up a centre for the study of slavery, after it found that it had received donations in the 18th and 19th Century, derived from slave trade profits, which could be worth up to £198m in present day value.

Universities in the UK and the United States have faced scrutiny about whether they had benefited from slavery and coerced labour, particularly during the 18th and 19th Century"
Examples:

Harvard's law school also changed its official seal because it included the crest of a brutal 18th Century slave trader.

Georgetown University, also in the US, agreed to offer support to the descendants of more than 200 slaves that the university had sold in the 19th Century.

The chair of governors of the University of East London has called for any universities in the UK that have a link to slavery to contribute to a £100m reparation fund.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Judge dismisses lawsuit over slave portraits at Harvard
March 4, 2021

BOSTON (AP) — A Massachusetts state judge has dismissed a lawsuit from a Connecticut woman who said Harvard University illegally owned photos of her enslaved ancestors and refused to turn them over.

The lawsuit dismissed Tuesday centered on a series of 1850 photos thought to be among the earliest images of enslaved people in the United States. The photos depict a South Carolina man identified as Renty and his daughter, Delia. Both were posed shirtless and photographed from several angles.

The photos were commissioned by Harvard biologist Louis Agassiz, whose theories on racial difference were used to support slavery in the U.S.

In her 2019 lawsuit, Tamara Lanier, of Norwich, Connecticut, said Renty and Delia are her ancestors and that the photos were taken against their will. She demanded the photos from Harvard, saying the Ivy League school had exploited the portraits for profit, including by using Renty’s image on the cover of a book.

Lanier’s lawsuit alleged that Agassiz saw Renty and Delia as “nothing more than research specimens” and forced them to participate in a “degrading exercise designed to prove their own subhuman status.”

The lawsuit says Lanier verified her genealogical ties to Renty, whom she calls “Papa Renty” and says is her great-great-great-grandfather.

But the judge hearing the case sided with Harvard, which argued that Lanier had no legal claim to the photos. In her decision, Middlesex Superior Court Judge Camille Sarrouf said the photos are the property of the photographer, not the subject.

“Fully acknowledging the continuing impact slavery has had in the United States, the law, as it currently stands, does not confer a property interest to the subject of a photograph regardless of how objectionable the photograph’s origins may be,” Sarrouf wrote in the decision.

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump, one of Lanier’s lawyers, said he planned to appeal the case.

“We remain convinced of the correctness of Ms. Lanier’s claim to these images of her slave ancestors and that she will be on the right side of history when this case is finally settled,” Crump said in a statement. “It is past time for Harvard to atone for its past ties to slavery and white supremacy research and stop profiting from slave images.”

In a statement, Harvard said it’s exploring how to put the photos in “an appropriate home” that “allows them to be more accessible to a broader segment of the public and to tell the stories of the enslaved people that they depict.”

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Judge dismisses lawsuit over slave portraits at Harvard
March 4, 2021

BOSTON (AP) — A Massachusetts state judge has dismissed a lawsuit from a Connecticut woman who said Harvard University illegally owned photos of her enslaved ancestors and refused to turn them over.

The lawsuit dismissed Tuesday centered on a series of 1850 photos thought to be among the earliest images of enslaved people in the United States. The photos depict a South Carolina man identified as Renty and his daughter, Delia. Both were posed shirtless and photographed from several angles.

The photos were commissioned by Harvard biologist Louis Agassiz, whose theories on racial difference were used to support slavery in the U.S.

In her 2019 lawsuit, Tamara Lanier, of Norwich, Connecticut, said Renty and Delia are her ancestors and that the photos were taken against their will. She demanded the photos from Harvard, saying the Ivy League school had exploited the portraits for profit, including by using Renty’s image on the cover of a book.

Lanier’s lawsuit alleged that Agassiz saw Renty and Delia as “nothing more than research specimens” and forced them to participate in a “degrading exercise designed to prove their own subhuman status.”

The lawsuit says Lanier verified her genealogical ties to Renty, whom she calls “Papa Renty” and says is her great-great-great-grandfather.

But the judge hearing the case sided with Harvard, which argued that Lanier had no legal claim to the photos. In her decision, Middlesex Superior Court Judge Camille Sarrouf said the photos are the property of the photographer, not the subject.

“Fully acknowledging the continuing impact slavery has had in the United States, the law, as it currently stands, does not confer a property interest to the subject of a photograph regardless of how objectionable the photograph’s origins may be,” Sarrouf wrote in the decision.

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump, one of Lanier’s lawyers, said he planned to appeal the case.

“We remain convinced of the correctness of Ms. Lanier’s claim to these images of her slave ancestors and that she will be on the right side of history when this case is finally settled,” Crump said in a statement. “It is past time for Harvard to atone for its past ties to slavery and white supremacy research and stop profiting from slave images.”

In a statement, Harvard said it’s exploring how to put the photos in “an appropriate home” that “allows them to be more accessible to a broader segment of the public and to tell the stories of the enslaved people that they depict.”

Disgusted!

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is a horrible precedent. :francis:

Those photos were value extracted from slaves. In future cases of real tangible value in the case of wealth, land, intellectual property, etc judges will peek at this case and use it as justifucation to keep the proceeds of human enslavement.

I could easily see the judges arguement being twisted to say, "the law as it currently stands does not confer property interest to the workers of fields/constructors of monuments/builders of wealth/inventors of machinery/etc regardless of how objectionable that labor's origins."

I can see citbank using this sick arguement against haiti, i can see the brittish banks using this arguement against africa, and and i can see JPM Chase using this arguement against FBA/ADOS in the south.:francis:

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@xoxodede

Harvard Art Museums names new curator of American collection
Horace-Ballard-Jessica-Smolinski-1200x800.jpg

Museums have long been a place of passion, community, and connection for Horace D. Ballard, the newly appointed Theodore E. Stebbins Jr. Associate Curator of American Art at the Harvard Art Museums, who took over his new role on Sept 1.
=============

His name points to him being a diasporan from an English speaking colony. Possibly AA.

Regardless of where he's from, what kind of pressure can be applied about the thread topic on him and the University? The timing seems like a good opportunity to press the issue.
Mentioned that he's likely a diasporan, and from enslaved people because that can be used in pressing the issue.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
August 23, 2021

After Student Pressure, Harvard Law School Ditches Logo Connected to Slavery

The former shield featured the family crest of Isaac Royall, Jr., who made his wealth through the labor of enslaved people.

Untitled.jpg

The new Harvard Law School shield (left) replaces the retired seal (right), which sparked protests over its inclusion of imagery seen to glorify slavery.

Harvard Law School (HLS) announced a new shield this morning after years of protests over its previous emblem, whose imagery some viewed as a glorification of slavery. The controversial former seal featured the family crest of Isaac Royall, Jr., a founding donor of the school who made his wealth through the labor of enslaved people in the mid-1700s.

The shield was officially retired in 2016 after a student activist group known as “Royall Must Fall” (RMF) successfully campaigned for its removal. Modeled after a student-led effort to remove a statue of British colonialist Cecil Rhodes from the University of Cape Town’s campus, the group is part of a larger movement for racial equity and institutional change at the university. RMF staged in-person rallies and sent an open letter to former HLS Dean Martha Minow calling for the symbol’s replacement.

In a 2015 op-ed, RMF members Alexander Clayborne, Sean Cuddihy, and Antuan Johnson described the crest as “a memorial to one of the largest and most brutal slave owners in Massachusetts.” The Royalls, they note, were notorious for their violent torture and killings of enslaved people. Daniel R. Coquillette and Bruce A. Kimball’s history of Harvard Law School, On the Battlefield of Merit (2015), describes the family’s murder of 88 Black individuals — including 77 burned alive at the stake — after a failed rebellion.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
August 23, 2021

After Student Pressure, Harvard Law School Ditches Logo Connected to Slavery

The former shield featured the family crest of Isaac Royall, Jr., who made his wealth through the labor of enslaved people.

Untitled.jpg

The new Harvard Law School shield (left) replaces the retired seal (right), which sparked protests over its inclusion of imagery seen to glorify slavery.

Harvard Law School (HLS) announced a new shield this morning after years of protests over its previous emblem, whose imagery some viewed as a glorification of slavery. The controversial former seal featured the family crest of Isaac Royall, Jr., a founding donor of the school who made his wealth through the labor of enslaved people in the mid-1700s.

The shield was officially retired in 2016 after a student activist group known as “Royall Must Fall” (RMF) successfully campaigned for its removal. Modeled after a student-led effort to remove a statue of British colonialist Cecil Rhodes from the University of Cape Town’s campus, the group is part of a larger movement for racial equity and institutional change at the university. RMF staged in-person rallies and sent an open letter to former HLS Dean Martha Minow calling for the symbol’s replacement.

In a 2015 op-ed, RMF members Alexander Clayborne, Sean Cuddihy, and Antuan Johnson described the crest as “a memorial to one of the largest and most brutal slave owners in Massachusetts.” The Royalls, they note, were notorious for their violent torture and killings of enslaved people. Daniel R. Coquillette and Bruce A. Kimball’s history of Harvard Law School, On the Battlefield of Merit (2015), describes the family’s murder of 88 Black individuals — including 77 burned alive at the stake — after a failed rebellion.

I am happy about this!

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@xoxodede

Harvard Art Museums names new curator of American collection
Horace-Ballard-Jessica-Smolinski-1200x800.jpg

Museums have long been a place of passion, community, and connection for Horace D. Ballard, the newly appointed Theodore E. Stebbins Jr. Associate Curator of American Art at the Harvard Art Museums, who took over his new role on Sept 1.
=============

His name points to him being a diasporan from an English speaking colony. Possibly AA.

Regardless of where he's from, what kind of pressure can be applied about the thread topic on him and the University? The timing seems like a good opportunity to press the issue.
Mentioned that he's likely a diasporan, and from enslaved people because that can be used in pressing the issue.

I follow him on Twitter. I think he is AA.

On the lawsuit - I don't think he has any pull like that -- and I don't even think he wants to be put in the position to help.

Sadly, he was probably hired to get some heat off of them.