Why are atheists so overwhelmingly white and male?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I'm a Black man who is not religious but not a full on atheist- which is a combo that I seen with a lot of people of color and women. I've met plenty of Black, Latino, East/Southeast Asian, Middle Eastern, South Asian etc. people in real life and online who claim to be non-religious but are :whoa: to the idea of being an atheist. Same with white women, few are outright atheist. But white men are more likely to proudly declare being one. I went on reddit and read a thread on the issue and some of the atheist redditors say that white countries are more progressive or advanced that lead to the embrace of atheism and men don't need the social validation and status that comes with religion. But those answers just seem a bit too :mjpls: and misogynistic to satisfy really. What's the Coli's opinion?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Because black atheists aren't vocal and annoying about it. You wouldn't know a black atheist IRL if you met one.

Outside of the white adjacent black atheists. They're just as annoying as their white counterparts.
That is true, I only met a handful of Black people who claim to be hardcore atheists. Non-religious, spiritual, or even agnostic but not atheist or even anti-theist.

Daps
I’m agnostic/atheist (is there a higher power? it’s a possibility but I don’t believe there’s an afterlife, I think that just makes people less afraid of dying to believe that) If there is something that has the power to create an entire fukking universe humans who claim to understand what that being want are stupid as fukk.

It’s delusional to remotely believe you’d understand how a higher being that can create a universe thinks. That’s why I find religious people to be off putting/dumb but all means I’d never get in their way of worshipping.

Just wish they’d understand the rest of us aren’t batshyt insane and we do not subscribe to their insane beliefs that they think they know how a higher being operates or what it wants

American Christians are pound for pound some of the worst people on this planet

Last edited: