Why do alot of songs sound completely different on streaming services vs CD version

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed quite a few songs that I have on CD or download off Limewire back in the day sound a little different on Streaming services such as Spotify or Apple Music then they sound on CD. For example I was listening to Hate Me now by Nas the other day on Apple Music and it sounded completely different then I remembered it sounding. So I ordered Nas I Am off of Ebay just to see if I was tripping and the CD version of Hate Me now sounds completely different then one you hear on streaming services.So why do quite a few songs sound different from what you hear from the CD vs streaming. Is it because of technology, are the songs remixed a little , is it remastering or is it something else.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
They master it differently from format to format. When it comes to CD's engineers usually go full retard and try to make everything as loud as possible at the sacrifice of clarity. On the other hand, most streaming services put a cap on how loud things are, so they master the audio accordingly. Same with Vinyl, although those are physical limitations.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Also in the case of Hate Me Now the reason that specifically sounds different is because they changed the sample due to rights issues. A lot of songs have sample clearance problems so they have to alter them in later releases. Streaming services use the most up to date releases as opposed to a CD or a file rip based on an older version of the release.

Ready to Die, for example, had a couple of samples removed in the 2004 re-release and that's the version that's on streaming services.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
This is so FUKKING ANNOYING about streaming services like Spotify. It’s not just you. It’s very noticeable, and makes the shyt seem very cheap.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Nah a lot of CD quality is actually ass, it's just loud as fukk and most people think loudness = clarity. Vinyl usually has the best quality because engineers actually work within the limitations.

This is simply not true, and I'm puzzled as to why you'd even think this. CD has the clearest quality of any platform. I can put on either Reasonable Doubt from '96 or the Game's Documentary 2 and both would be crystal clear. You're telling me that if I put on Thriller in an original record player (both of which I actually have), the sound quality would be better??? That is a flat out lie :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:you may as well say a cassette player has better quality too :russ: