Why Do Black Children With Autism Get Diagnosed Late?

seymour cake

All Star
Daps
I think it’s the weed connection it’s more prevalent than ever and if that Study is right the chemicals involved are in a man’s sperm for 11 weeks, they didn’t even look into how long it will affect women. So it’s going to be a lot more children.
Damn u might be on to something cause i was damn sure smoking weed her whole pregnancy

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Damn u might be on to something cause i was damn sure smoking weed her whole pregnancy
That report is one of the realest things out and it just got ignored because everybody enjoys their weed and there are trillions behind it. It’s a urban myth there are no bad effects because no one has really done studies on it but they legalized it so states could get tax revenue.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I don't think it's any one answer. This is just a microcosm of all the ways Black folk start off behind in this society.

It's the reduced access Black folk have to primary health care.

And it's also the lower education level of Black parents.

It's racism within the medical system and the lower attention they give to the concerns of Black patients/family.

And it's also the lack of social support in the community.

It possibly could be the stigma as well.

It's important to note that merely "diagnosis quicker" isn't the answer, because when it comes to learning disabilities and behavioral disorders, over-diagnosis can be as big a problem as under-diagnosis with Black children. If a high-functioning kid just gets pushed off into the disability track without the appropriate attention and care for the shyt that's actually going on for him, it may do more harm than good. The most important thing is to get a correct diagnosis as early as possible and then get effective care for the child that improves their prospects rather than just saddling them with a label.