Why does 4k TV make every thing look like an after school special

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So again you said you just ordered it, so that means you don't have it yet, correct? :sas1:
I'm not sure if you're referring to Logan or x-men apocalypse , but those were real 4k, you just don't seem to like the aesthetics/artistic choices of the movie itself. Most of these high budget comic book movies look like shyt. (I'm assuming you're talking about Apoc) Logan looked glorious in 4k though :ahh:

But you also can't make these snap judgments on 4K and or HDR off one viewing. I've had my TV for a year and am now just appreciating some of the differences. When I first saw HDR it looked dark, but there's been countless firmware updates since then and I've calibrated my tv since etc.

Most of the early catalog title reviews say the difference wasn't that big, but I think people brought in their expectations of a huge jump to them and and now a lot of people on forums are coming around on those titles ( ghostbusters and goodfellas) and appreciating the details and refinement of grain that hdr /4k brings to older movies shot on film.

Movies and TV look like shyt in 4k, they don't have a cinematic look, feel like i'm at epcot center watching that shyt

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Only the most popular titles get re-released all the time on blu-ray. We haven't even gotten True lies or The Abyss on the format yet and it's 11 years old.

Catalog titles are hitting 4k in record time. It took 5-6 years for the most popular titles to hit blu-ray. Now most of them are hitting 4k in this past not even year and a half the format has been out. Most of them already had the 4K DI ready due to all the remastered in 4k scans from the past 3 years, they just add a layer of HDR and it's money.
So why are movies being digitally shot with 6K cameras being mastered in 2K??? :jbhmm:

Wonder Woman
Spider-Man Homecoming
Atomic Blonde

And film presents a big grain problem when it comes to 4K scans. Look at all the complains about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Movies and TV look like shyt in 4k, they don't have a cinematic look, feel like i'm at epcot center watching that shyt
Watch The John Wick Movies, The Revenant, Hacksaw Ridge in 4K and get back to me

So why are movies being dgitally shot with 6K cameras being mastered in 2K??? :jbhmm:

Wonder Woman
Spider-Man Homecoming
Atomic Blonde

And film presents a big grain problem when it comes to 4K scans. Look at all the complains about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Most likely cost. As you mentioned cgi heavy movies may choose to because of the cgi being rendered at 2k. But also keep in mind WW went into production before the format even existed.

As for Spider-man homecoming, I'm blaming that one on Sony. They seemed to cheap out this year and instead of their usual 4K DI they went 2k. They even did so with Baby Driver. I'd assume it's because their movies had been performing so shytty they wanted to save a few pennies.

All I know is there are always growing pains when a new format is introduced but so far it's been pretty good all things considered. HDR isn't even standardized and there's two competing formats right now with mainly only HDR10 on disc( a few have dolby vision but most studios are waiting it out word to GOTG2 so dolby vision is mainly just for streaming on VUDU).

And many people, myself included had only planned to buy "true" 4k titles and nothing upscaled, but a title like John Wick 2 is among the best looking disc out there. That scene fighting in the mirror room is HDR demo worthy. Although I have no clue why John Wick 1 had a 4K DI but the sequel did not :francis:

As for the grain complaints, I mainly see those from OLed owners. I can't speak to that as I don't own one, but I personally love grain. People seem to forget what films look like shot on film and I think it's gorgeous. I love my crouching tiger and ghostbusters disc. DAT GRAIN :ohlawd:

Go read all the blade runner reviews

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Lol, that's the very definition of marginal. It's noticeable, but not worth the upgrade.
LMAO...breh the color difference is definitely not marginal as that shyt looks on this NON HDR laptop monitor. Go to Best Buy and look at the Samsung UHD vs SUHD tvs for a view of the difference

Its a few people in here dont know what the fukk they talking about :russ:

Last edited:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
LMAO...breh the color difference is definitely not marginal as that shyt looks on this NON HDR laptop monitor. Go to Best Buy and look at the Samsung UHD vs SUHD tvs for a view of the difference
I've watched Dolby Cinema multiple times breh. Its marginal, especially compared to the leap from Dvd to Blu-ray. There isn't even a calibration standard. Look on the Blu-Ray forums. You have brehs needing to turn the brightness up to watch Arrival and Suicide Squad. :mjlol:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I've watched Dolby Cinema multiple times breh. Its marginal, especially compared to the leap from Dvd to Blu-ray. There isn't even a calibration standard. Look on the Blu-Ray forums. You have brehs needing to turn the brightness up to watch Arrival and Suicide Squad. :mjlol:
Im not saying that it is that big of a leap. Im saying that its a very enjoyable effect that is not hard to see..

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Im not saying that it is that big of a leap. Im saying that its a very enjoyable effect that is not hard to see..

Then IDK what we're debating. I indeed can tell the difference, but the difference is not worth having to upgrade my AVR/Player/TV/existing Blu-Ray collection.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Then IDK what we're debating. I indeed can tell the difference, but the difference is not worth having to upgrade my AVR/Player/TV/existing Blu-Ray collection.
The TV can usually approximate HDR from SDR content anyway

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yea let's choose two inherently dark movies that were dark in the theaters and judge an entire home format on them :smugford:

And most complaints so far of UHD discs have been from people with SDR 4k sets or lower end sets that do not produce enough nits to truly get dat hdr.

If you look at forums like the bluray boards, some people who had complaints about some discs had a night and day difference when they upgraded to HDR capable sets

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC

Brehs I don't know why you're bothering to argue with @FlyRy nikka catches feelings over differing opinions & pitching products like he getting commission. Peep the rage in the Dunkirk thread, going off like a dementia patient. :francis:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Brehs I don't know why you're bothering to argue with @FlyRy nikka catches feelings over differing opinions & pitching products like he getting commission. Peep the rage in the Dunkirk thread, going off like a dementia patient. :francis:
If you think I truly care if anyone disagrees with me on Dunkirk , then that's on you. I don't take anything too seriously. It's all fun and games and i'll put a smiley. What I wont stand for is the ignorance on display in this thread.

We got one breh who says 4k is only for gaming, doesn't even have the one monitor out that does true HDR 10 and has opinions on it. ( i seenow why he's in the hall of shame)

We got another breh who is basing his entire opinion of a home video format on HDR on Dolby CINEMA. If you don't see how asinine that is, then you're just as much of an imbecile as they are.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
If you think I truly care if anyone disagrees with me on Dunkirk , then that's on you. I don't take anything too seriously. It's all fun and games and i'll put a smiley. What I wont stand for is the ignorance on display in this thread.

We got one breh who says 4k is only for gaming, doesn't even have the one monitor out that does true HDR 10 and has opinions on it. ( i seenow why he's in the hall of shame)

We got another breh who is basing his entire opinion of a home video format on HDR on Dolby CINEMA. If you don't see how asinine that is, then you're just as much of an imbecile as they are.

Breh I'm going to keep it a buck, I didn't even read this shyt. For your own point of reference, I don't plan on reading any of your lengthy bullshyt. You're a sensitive argumentative individual and I don't have the energy to waste. Try not to quote me b, I'm just going to scroll past that shyt.

eminem-stan-o.gif