why won't hollywood let us see our best black actors?

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
Why Won’t Hollywood Let Us See Our Best Black Actors?
Vulture Wed, Apr 27 11:07 AM PDT

Idris Elba is in four major studio films this year, but you won’t see his face in any of them. Three of those high-profile jobs are voice roles: In addition to playing Chief Bogo in Zootopia and Shere Khan in The Jungle Book, Elba has a supporting part in Pixar’s upcoming Finding Dory. His only live-action role in the lot is playing the villainous Krall in Star Trek Beyond, where he’s buried under so many facial prosthetics that he’s more than unrecognizable — he’s a different color entirely.

I can’t fault Disney for wanting to cast Elba in all of those cartoons: The man’s got one of the best voices in cinema, rich and insinuating. And now that Elba has become something of a sci-fi staple in films like Prometheus and Pacific Rim, perhaps it was inevitable that he’d don makeup for a franchise like Star Trek. But as one of the few black leading men in Hollywood, Elba means something. So what does it say when we see so little of him?
I wish I could call all these castings a fluke. I worry they’re not. Look at Lupita Nyong’o, whose most notable roles since winning the Oscar for 12 Years a Slave have been playing the orange alien Maz Kanata in Star Wars and the white wolf Raksha in The Jungle Book. In this summer’s video-game adaptation Warcraft, Paula Patton is slathered in green paint as the half-human, half-orc Garona, which makes me wonder if she consulted Zoe Saldana for advice before taking the role: After all, Saldana has already played green in Guardians of the Galaxy and blue in Avatar. (It’s become so common for Saldana to play a different color on film that they even gave her another skin tone for the controversial clusterf— Nina and thought nothing of it.)

Ol’Otis

Daps
Reppin
In the wake of this past year’s second straight #oscarssowhite debacle, I saw people like Spike Lee calling on Hollywood to adopt some version of the NFL’s Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview minority candidates for the league’s top jobs. Whether or not that’s realistic, it’s not unreasonable to expect studios that use black actors’ prodigious talent in their animated films to pony up live-action roles for those thespians, too. And if they’re not going to paint Margot Robbie purple, maybe they should stop doing it to Zoe Saldana. The black actors I named in this article are some of Hollywood’s most talented and beautiful, and they deserve to be seen for countless reasons, not least because in this screwed-up world, representation must continually be fought for. Idris, Lupita, Paula, and Zoe have faces that matter. Let us see them.

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
The same way the food industry workers have been replaced with robots, Black actors have been replaced with animation. Damn shame :martin:

Ol’Otis

Daps
Reppin
Please give me a break with this! Did it every occur to anyone that maybe these people are just not great actors? I'm sure Angela Basset, or Denzel Washington, or Morgan freeman, or Whoopi Goldberg, would disagree with this, as they are all very successful, very talented black actors. There are hundreds of thousands of actors throughout the world, black, white, and every color in between, and most of them will never be famous or receive any type of accomplishments in the acting world. Blaming skin color instead of lack of talent is just more fuel to the racial fire! Can we please stop with this black against the world garbage!

:mjpls::mjpls: