Worst way to die: Girl found dead in odessa catacomb

Daps
I posted this in the scary story thread but I feel like this deserves a thread on its own.

On January 1st 2005, a young Ukranian teenage girl named Masha put on her make-up, packed up some champagne, and headed out for her New Years Eve nights party. She was headed into the Odessa catacombs, the 2,500 kilometers of dark rocky tunnels which run underneath the city.

The catacombs were once the preferred hideout of rebels, criminals, and eccentrics. During WWII Ukrainian rebel groups hid within the labyrinthian catacombs and today there is an entire Ukrainian subculture of catacomb explorers with dozens of semiprofessional groups, often quite competitive, exploring the catacombs. They go on multi-day underground treks, known as expeditions, to document and map the system.

The 2005 New Years eve party was great. Everyone was having a good time, drinking and having fun. But at some point in the night Masha decided to explore the catacombs. This was a mistake. She quickly became separated from her party, and unable to find her way back. Nor were her friends able to locate her. A massive search effort was launched but they weren't able to find her among the 2,500 kilometers of often unmapped tunnels.

It took a full two years before the police were able to locate her body and retrieve it from the catacombs. Her body had been partially mummified by the cold cool air. Based on where she was found it is believed Masha spent at least three days wandering in the freezing cold and pitch black before dying of dehydration

Odessa, just outside of Ukraine’s capital, Kiev, is home to one of the largest catacombs in the entire world. With over 1,500 miles of subterranean tunnels, Odessa’s catacombs even beat out the well-known Paris Catacombs in terms of length. After a nearly a century of mining operations beneath the city, and a stint as a WWII hiding place, the government officially sealed all entrances to the tunnels in 1980. Well, they tried to, at least.

Link for pic of the dead body NSFL:
http://whatsupkuwait.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/odessa-catacombs-10069-large_slideshow.jpg

Someone user posted about how this death could have occurred:

Can you imagine it? Walking alone in utter darkness, just your hand on the wall. Your mouth dry from dehydration, your throat and lungs burning from the rank air and the countless hours of screaming for help. Your feet blistered messes and your legs sore to the point of exhaustion. Just walking. Nothing around you but solid darkness and cold damp walls in every direction. You’d have so much time to reflect on your life, everyone you’ve known, every event replaying over in your head. Somewhere along the line it hits you: “You aren’t getting out.” I wonder if she broke down and stopped moving on, giving in to despair or dehydration, sobbing to herself as she slumped to the cold hard ground. Nothing to comfort her, nothing to give hope. Or perhaps she kept going until she physically could not, driven by either the hallucinations that gave her false promise of salvation, or by the sheer will to live, keeping her going until she finally collapsed from exhaustion and dehydration. I also wonder if the rats started to eat her before she was completely dead.

TL;DR
Girl found dead in odessa catacomb after being left by her friends.

Last edited:
Daps
Apparently her friends were drunk/ not paying attention and they left her there. Since the catacombs are so vast and dark she was probably away from her friends for like a minute, took a wrong turn and ended up lost in the catacombs,:lupe:

If you look at the photograph it looks as if she was crawling before she finally broke down. :sadcam:

The catacombs is a huge maze. Any wrong turn can lead you to a series of other wrong turns before you end up either going in circles or going further from the nearest exit. There are thousands of exits, and the girls body was found 5km away from the nearest exit.:mjcry: By the time her friends realized she was left behind they couldn't risk going back or else they would have suffered the same fate. The catacombs are so dark so when her flashlight ran out it must've been pitch black. She died three days later of exhaustion and starvation :damn:

Last edited:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Before this I thought the worse way to die was the way ISIS did that Jordanian pilot. This story is truly some worst way to die stuff.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Picture+6%282%29.png

Look at the map of that shyt......I wouldn't step 5 feet away from the entrance. Better yet, I just wouldn't go there period. :lupe:

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
Drinking kills...in more ways than 1:manny: not the WORST way to die by far