Would you be for or against bringing back Newspaper Decisions?

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
Unheard of these days, but common during the early 20th Century, a "newspaper decision" might be made after a no decision bout had ended. A "no decision" bout occurred when--by law or by pre-arrangement of the fighters--if both boxers were still standing at the fight's conclusion and there was no knockout, no official decision was rendered and neither boxer was declared the winner. But this did not prevent the pool of ringside newspaper reporters from declaring a consensus result among themselves and printing a newspaper decision in their publications. Officially, however, a "no decision" bout resulted in neither boxer winning or losing.

So either arranged by the sanctioning body/athletic commission or pre-arranged by the two fighters themselves. The decisions themselves would be collected by the fight score collector, Brian Hunter

In recent bouts, the only differences I've spotted so far are....

-Beltran over Burns
-Vera over Chavez Jr. (1st bout)
-Quigg over Salinas
-Herrera over Garcia
-Provodnikov over Algieri

How would you all feel about this system returning to the sport of boxing, speak on it.......

I'll look for more after my class...

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
With today's corporate-driven media? Nope.

agreed...judges are already under a microscope...being in cahoots with the media would prolly make things a whole lot worse

i like those examples though as i agree with all except prov-algieri..thats the one fight you can really see it being scored 2 different ways depending on what factors you utilize in scoring a fight

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Basically, we would be going by the AP or "the ringside media" then right?

I would like it and prefer it to the 3 judges who can be bought off:manny:

I believe boxrec collects all the "media scorecards" anyways and they had they the Canelo vs Lara fight a draw after going with the average scorecard, which is exactly how I saw the fight, instead of it being a victory for Canelo.

SuikodenII

Daps
Well let me state that this would be something that would have to be agreed upon in the pre-contractual negotiations between the fighters themselves. If one fighter feels he is at a disadvantage simply because of the venue or past history with certain fighters, he may request this instead of the 3-judge system. There's damn near 50 sources to collect from, that's a lot more to corrupt than three 70-year-old men :manny:

Other differences from official scorecards...

-Campillo over Cloud
-Abril over Rios
-Pacquiao over Bradley (first fight)
-Cano over Malignaggi
-Cunningham over Adamek

This is all data from fight score collector

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I hate sports writers as a whole so I wouldn't want them involved in anything.
I would like to see all sanctioning bodies enforce a mandatory and immediate rematch for any fight that ends in a no decision though.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Well let me state that this would be something that would have to be agreed upon in the pre-contractual negotiations between the fighters themselves. If one fighter feels he is at a disadvantage simply because of the venue or past history with certain fighters, he may request this instead of the 3-judge system. There's damn near 50 sources to collect from, that's a lot more to corrupt than three 70-year-old men :manny:

Other differences from official scorecards...

-Campillo over Cloud
-Abril over Rios
-Pacquiao over Bradley (first fight)
-Cano over Malignaggi

-Cunningham over Adamek

This is all data from fight score collector

I had all those the exact same.

I would be all for it as a "3rd judge" instead of 3 old guys like you said. Give me 2 old guys and then the AP/Ringside Media and I think we'd have better decisions:manny:

SuikodenII

Daps
I had all those the exact same.

I would be all for it as a "3rd judge" instead of 3 old guys like you said. Give me 2 old guys and then the AP/Ringside Media and I think we'd have better decisions:manny:
Hmmm............a hybrid system combining both instead of deciding to use one or the other........... interesting......

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science
Hmmm............a hybrid system combining both instead of deciding to use one or the other........... interesting......

That or maybe have it in case of a draw, you go to the ND. It wouldn't completely eliminate draws but it should lessen them. Also would be dope if in ring a fighter or his promoter disagreed with a ruling it could go to a compilation of certified
Boxing writers. To be certified though requires you to take classes on scoring a bout properly and passing a test by judging a live spar.

SuikodenII

Daps
That or maybe have it in case of a draw, you go to the ND. It wouldn't completely eliminate draws but it should lessen them. Also would be dope if in ring a fighter or his promoter disagreed with a ruling it could go to a compilation of certified
Boxing writers. To be certified though requires you to take classes on scoring a bout properly and passing a test by judging a live spar.
We building breh :ohhh:

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Everyone touched on my points already so I'll just say heeeeeeeeeell no. It sounds too complicated for the simpletons who can't get it straight now. Too many feelings in decisons are opinions as a whole already. These times are blinded by hate instead of TRUTH.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I think we just need better judges. :manny:

Too many agendas going on in the media nowadays anyways.