WWF 2000: What if Russo hadn’t left?

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/LWO/NYY/NYR/ALA
Let’s say in an alternate universe, Russo/Ferrara hadn’t left in October 1999. How altered would 2000 have been in terms of pushes/cards/quality? How would WM 2000 and X7 have played out under Russo?

Also how would WCW have fared since Russo never left?

ThisIsLife

Energy ⚡
Daps
Reppin
Near Philly
I thought the year 2000 was a more mature product than 1999. With Russo still being there, it may have been more gimmick matches, crazy characters and ridiculous storylines. Luckily, Russo always had others to damper down his crazy ideas in the WWF, unlike his run in WCW.

With WCW and how it would fare, it depends on who took over booking, WCW didn't always have the best of luck in that department. Due to behind the scenes stuff going on with Turner, I couldn't see the company lasting long with or without Russo.

I will always give Russo props for giving all the wrestlers a chance on screen with an interesting storyline (even the ridiculous ones), which carried over I believe for the years of 2000 and 2001 in the WWF.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I thought the year 2000 was a more mature product than 1999. With Russo still being there, it may have been more gimmick matches, crazy characters and ridiculous storylines. Luckily, Russo always had others to damper down his crazy ideas in the WWF, unlike his run in WCW.

With WCW and how it would fare, it depends on who took over booking, WCW didn't always have the best of luck in that department. Due to behind the scenes stuff going on with Turner, I couldn't see the company lasting long with or without Russo.

I will always give Russo props for giving all the wrestlers a chance on screen with an interesting storyline (even the ridiculous ones), which carried over I believe for the years of 2000 and 2001 in the WWF.
WWF would have been a lot less focused and booked short term with a lot more chaotic angles if Russo stuck around. He was always good at making sure everyone had something to do and had a chance to let a gimmick or their personality shine, but the crash tv style booking can’t stick forever or it’ll burn the crowd out. Creski did such a great job in 2000. I can’t imagine a better job being done. In WCW it really wouldn’t have mattered who was in charge. The network head decided he didn’t want them on the network because he didn’t want pro wrestling. Not much anyone can do to change that.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
They would've gotten burnt out eventually. Working for Vince takes a toll on you unless you're strictly in marketing, corporate arm of the company. WCW was headed towards that iceberg because of the AOL/Time Warner merger anyway, there was no stopping that.

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
WCW was gonna die with or without him. Inmates ran the asylum for far too long. Cats salaries were ridiculous ie: Lanny Poffo. Even if they reigned in the money and started turning profit, the time Warner deal would've saw them get ousted anyway unfortunately:yeshrug:

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
WCW was gonna die with or without him. Inmates ran the asylum for far too long. Cats salaries were ridiculous ie: Lanny Poffo. Even if they reigned in the money and started turning profit, the time Warner deal would've saw them get ousted anyway unfortunately:yeshrug:

I think if Russo’s bullshyt never comes to WCW and it’s a normal bad wrestling show, maybe Nitro stays on TNT as WCW is sold