Yes, your boss can fire you if you refuse to get a Covid vaccine

Sex Luthor

I'm like kryptonite to these thots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
KEY POINTS
  • Companies are considering compulsory Covid vaccination requirements as a condition of employment.
  • "Under the law, an employer can force an employee to get vaccinated, and if they don't, fire them," said Rogge Dunn, a Dallas labor and employment attorney.
  • Anti-discrimination laws would enable eligible employees to request an exemption from a company-wide coronavirus vaccine mandate.
The country's first Covid vaccine could be authorized for emergency use as soon as Thursday. If Pfizer and BioNTech get the green light, distribution is set to begin within days.

But as difficult as the research, development and distribution stages have been, some experts argue the hardest part of fighting the virus is actually what comes next: convincing the U.S. population to take the vaccine.

Mandating the vaccine in the workplace
Clients in the restaurant sector thinks a compulsory inoculation requirement could be a game changer for business.

"They think it gives them a competitive advantage," explained Dunn. "They could say to their customers, 'Hey, our restaurant is safe. All of our employees have been vaccinated.'"

It may be, in part, a PR tactic, but Dunn said it is totally within an employer's rights to implement this kind of requirement.

"Under the law, an employer can force an employee to get vaccinated, and if they don't take it, fire them," said Dunn.

Anti-discrimination laws also provide some protections. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, workers who don't want to be vaccinated for medical reasons are eligible to request an exemption. In this case, an employer would have to provide reasonable accommodation, such as allowing the employee to work remotely.

Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, if taking the vaccine is a violation of a "sincerely held" religious belief, they, too, would potentially be able to opt out.

What is clear, however, is that if an employer does choose to mandate the Covid vaccine, a company is not liable should an employee develop side effects from a vaccine. Instead, experts say that any claims would be routed through worker's compensation programs and treated as an on-the-job injury.

There are a few carrots that employers could offer. "One option is that if you get the vaccine, you don't have to have your temperature taken every day, or you don't have to wear the same level of PPE," Reiss said.

There's also talk of offering financial perks to employees who opt in to taking the vaccine.

Yes, your boss can fire you if you refuse to get a Covid vaccine

Sex Luthor

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They can already force you to get a flu vaccine. This isn't new.

Can your employer force you to get a COVID-19 vaccine?

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) already allows companies to require employees to be vaccinated for the flu. Workers who don't wish to be vaccinated for medical reasons can request an exemption under the Americans with Disabilities Act, as can those for whom taking a vaccine would violate their religious beliefs, under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

"Referencing back to that, the likelihood is the guidance EEOC will issue relative to a COVID vaccine is that an employer will be allowed to do that," said attorney Helen Rella of Wilk Auslander. "And considering COVID is much worse than the flu, we anticipate they will issue guidelines stating it's their position that it would be reasonable for an employer to require an employee to get the vaccine."

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
They have a responsibility to other employees.

The option to continue working from home should be available where possible. For that are contingent on a vaccination to reopen, get the shot or be unemployed.

Sex Luthor

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
They can already force you to get a flu vaccine. This isn't new.

Can your employer force you to get a COVID-19 vaccine?
Difference is there's probably decades of studies, info, discoveries and all types of knowledge about the flu and its vaccine.

Covid19 has what 7 maybe 8 months? Take away the months before the vaccine was developed and its down to maybe 3 months of knowledge of the drug. Big difference

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
:merchant: My husband was forced to take the Flu Vaccine this year....

The organization he works for most likely will make him take the COVID vaccine. I thought about locking him up in a room, but nahhh....I don’t wanna hear all that groaning and moaning , and shuffling they be doing...

:unimpressed: I am prepared to take him down if he becomes a zombie.

I wonder if his life insurance covers that?:jbhmm:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
RhapSaDiddy said:
And we should be able to sue if the vaccine has negative side effects

Already covered.......​

National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program

.....and an allowance is made for the COVID-19 vaccine......

Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program (CICP)
A countermeasure is a vaccination, medication, device, or other item recommended to diagnose, prevent or treat a declared pandemic, epidemic or security threat. On the rare chance you suffered a serious injury, or the death of a loved one, from the administration or use of a covered countermeasure, you may qualify for benefits.
:snooze:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tenor.gif

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
Street nikkas finna be selling negative corona test result papers like food stamps baybeh!!

Its me! Im street nikkas:russ:

Just gimme time to find the plug on them joints

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
As long as the science checks out and the vaccine is safe, I don't really have a problem with it :yeshrug: no different than having to get vaccines to go to school

I'm sure anti-vaxxers will be mad, but they're dumb anyway and the workforce would probably be better off without them. That said I won't be first in line.