Yo, anyone notice that Dr. Sleep and Get Out are low-key the same movie? :ohhh:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I just saw Dr. Sleep yesterday and y'all gotta tell me that someone has noticed this shyt before. They damn near follow the same basic plot beginning to end. :whoo:

Both movies are centered on a talented orphan who struggles with addiction and is tormented by nightmares of a dark moment in his past where someone close to him slowly suffered and died because he failed to act.

maxresdefault.jpg
TELEMMGLPICT000149046741_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqMUAJ-Nwt8LonRUF7q1PllaQ8PwnMkA3uviepiUZw6-8.jpeg

In both movies, this substance-abusing orphan gets in the way of a cult of crazy (mostly) White people who take control of the bodies of gifted young folk in order to gain immortality for themselves.

doctor-sleep-true-knot-slice.jpeg
Image-2-Bingo-game-scene-Get-Out.png

Both movies have a motif where the hero spends time exchanging long-distance messages with his trusted Black friend who is clearly the only person who really knows what's going on. This trusted Black friend is the first person in the movie to identify the cult and their true evil.

Doctor_Sleep_1_.jpg
1*kKZ0BVIBJbh5eT2L3PHAEQ.jpeg

Both movies have a scene where the person who wants the hero's soul/body gushes to him about how talented he is.

maxresdefault.jpg
latest

In both movies, the wicked witch-like woman who leads the crazy cult tries to take over the hero orphan's mind and turn him into her latest victim, but he manages to outsmart her and thus keep his mind outside of her control.

latest
e2ed558b157869f9ec0f06b41b232643.jpg

One of the craziest alignments, in both movies the hero is about to be shot by a young girl in the cult who is seeking vengeance for the family members the hero just killed, when the hero's ally manages to shoot the girl with a deer rifle and save the hero, only to then proceed to put the barrel of the rifle under his own chin and blow his own head off because the cult has control of his mind. That exact same fukking sequence happens near the climax of both movies.

dr-sleep-girl-gun.jpg
get-out-girl-2.jpg

dr-sleep-shooting.jpg
get-out-girl-dead.jpg

dr-sleep-suicide.jpg
get-out-suicide.jpg

Both of them also make their turn on a rope-a-dope, where the orphan hero pretends to be under mind control when he in fact is leading them into a trap.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-13-at-12.15.21-PM-768x409.jpg
Get-Out-Hidden-Messages-cotton.jpeg

danny-kills.jpg
chris-kills.jpg

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Both movies end with the Black long-distance friend, who wasn't present for the hero's original string of killings, now personally witnessing the hero's final defeat of the evil cult. In both cases that includes the burning down of the evil home with some awful fire CGI.

get-out-fire.jpg
dr-sleep-fire.jpg

big-abra.jpg
lil-ren.jpg

Now, I ain't saying anyone copied anybody or that these ain't original flicks, but how you get that many coincidences in two movies? :mindblown:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Both movies end with the Black long-distance friend, who wasn't present for the hero's original string of killings, now personally witnessing the hero's final defeat of the evil cult. In both cases that includes the burning down of the evil home with some awful fire CGI.

get-out-fire.jpg
dr-sleep-fire.jpg

big-abra.jpg
lil-ren.jpg

Now, I ain't saying anyone copied anybody or that these ain't original flicks, but how you get that many coincidences in two movies? :mindblown:
The “black long distance friend” - are you talking about the old black man?? Halloran? He was in The Shining, a precursor to Dr. Sleep where he acts as the voice of reason and guidance. He’s been with the main character since he was a little kid as his “guardian”.

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Disagree.

1. Danny from Dr. Sleep wasn’t an orphan. Not technically. He mother was seen in the apartment with him after the events at the Overlook Hotel. She’s the one who called Halloran to help Danny regain his voice after being traumatized.

2. Rose the Hat was a soul collector - the old lady in Get Out was a mind controller

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Disagree.

1. Danny from Dr. Sleep wasn’t an orphan. Not technically. He mother was seen in the apartment with him after the events at the Overlook Hotel. She’s the one who called Halloran to help Danny regain his voice after being traumatized.

2. Rose the Hat was a soul collector - the old lady in Get Out was a mind controller
1. Danny says near the beginning of Dr. Sleep that his mom died young from cancer. She was still alive during the events of The Shining but she died afterwards. So in Dr. Sleep he was an orphan.

2. Both Rose the Hat in Dr. Sleep and Missy Armitage in Get Out want to take bodies of the young so their people can gain immortality.

Both Snakebite Andi in Dr. Sleep and Missy Armitage in Get Out are mind controllers who can "push" their victims into unconsciousness with a single word, and then take advantage of their unconscious bodies.

The “black long distance friend” - are you talking about the old black man?? Halloran? He was in The Shining, a precursor to Dr. Sleep where he acts as the voice of reason and guidance. He’s been with the main character since he was a little kid as his “guardian”.
No, I'm talking about Abra.

In Dr. Sleep, Danny is unaware of the danger of the True Knot until Abra tells him what's going on using messages written on his wall and long-distance mental communication.

In Get Out, Chris is unaware of the danger of the Armitage family until Rod tells him what's going on using text messages and phone calls.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I'm telling you man, I was interested enough when I realized that both movies were about an isolated orphan taking on a white immortality cult that wanted to take over his mind and suck out his powers, both movies highlighted an evil mind-control witch, and the fact that both heroes had a black friend who warned them to the real danger from a distance was interesting.

But the "Both heroes are plagued by a moment in their past where they failed to act and someone close to them died from neglect as a result" and the "both heroes are saved by an ally with a deer rifle only to watch that ally proceed to blow his brains out due to mind control" aspects made the coincidences fukking crazy.

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
I mean, sure they have similar events and/or concepts but I'd never compare the two. Even with the analysis, I still would not compare the two. Both are 10/10 though.

:yeshrug: