You know your show has Jumped the Shark when...

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
There was a Miami Vice season late in the game, that when I was watching as a child on FX in like 98 was fire, but as an adult is enough to sink the show entirely almost, as far as jumping the shark:

The lead cop falls and hits his head, during a drug raid, develops amnesia (a TV trope) and believes he IS his undercover persona, a ruthless drug trafficker, and begins to kill other drug dealers to gain power, move bricks, plan killings, this goes on for several episodes, and he is finally jolted back to his old persona, by his partner

all is forgiven and he continues to work as a cop, never mentioning it again lol

Last edited:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
When a main character of a show gets changed midway through the season.

If the writers repeat the same exact subplot but only with a different character.

When a drama series all of a sudden becomes a science fiction show (I.e. Oz on HBO)

If a character is depicted to be as a serious role on the TV show starts becoming comic relief or starts doing very immature things on the show.

If the adult character has to start getting useful advice from a child on the show.

Sometimes, the whole "Honey I'm pregnant" subplot

A character amazingly comes back from the dead.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
There was a Miami Vice season late in the game, that when I was watching as a child on FX in like 98 was fire, but as an adult is enough to sink the show entirely almost, as far as jumping the shark:

The lead cop falls and hits his head, during a drug raid, develops amnesia (a TV trope) and believes he IS his undercover persona, a ruthless drug trafficker, and begins to kill other drug dealers to gain power, this goes on for several episodes, and he is finally jolted back to his old persona, by his partner

all his forgiven and he continues to work as a cop, never mentioning it again lol
I loves those episodes of Miami Vice. Those are like the last good ones. I think the show only went another season after that.

Daps
Scrubs Med School. They had a great run with eight seasons but they should have ended it after that.
Then they started season 9 as a new set of characters with JD coming back in the first episode telling everyone within the first minute or so that the hospital Sacred Heart has been torn down and this is the new hospital.........what!
So when the show runner wants to do something different with an idea and the suits tell him go ahead ..... but we keep the same title and pretend it is the same show.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That shyt I posted reminds me of the suspension of disbelief required in The Negotiator

That the Jackson character could take a bunch of people hostage, in a federal building of all places, possess a firearm, shoot at police officers, ask for a ransom, a probably half a dozen other charges, and then simply be forgiven because he was right about being framed.

doesn't mean it wasn't a fun movie in it's time, but still hilarious, that whole construct was actually kind of it's own subgenre in the 90's, there was a movie called Mad City around the same time, and then John Q, and probably at least one more. Hostage takers with a heart.

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns
A Medical Drama responsible for launching the career of George Clooney... has a Doctor, who previously had his arm chopped off by a Helicopter in the previous season... gets killed when a Helicopter explodes above him and crushes him to death. :laff:

Yeah, they were tryna write that muhfukkka off for the longest time if his storyline was based on getting picked on by helicopters :dead:

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Yeah, they were tryna write that muhfukkka off for the longest time if his storyline was based on getting picked on by helicopters :dead:

He wanted to stop acting, and get into directing; he actually directed a few episodes after he left. However I guess he wanted this death.

Also ER was known for crazy shyt once in a while.

• Wow
Reactions: EQ.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
When your episode premises don't even sound real anymore. You hear about the main characters being held up by a kamikaze clown, or a teenage boy getting addicted to his mom's breast milk, or a family becoming wanted criminals when they accidentally kill an alligator and you're just like :dahell:.