Your Definition of Blackness is Impeding Your Success

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Here's an article I wrote and I would like you all to tell me what you think. It's about how we need to redefine who we consider Black and why. The bolded parts are the TLDR.

1*u7ZbenNcrKtovPiBSBNQYQ.jpeg

Is “Black” a race, a skin tone, a nationality, or a way of thinking? Like all arbitrary terms, each answer could be true or false depending on who you ask. More insidious, is what this word can mean to one on a subconscious level. To some, the word Black is synonymous with deficiency, debauchery, salaciousness, and impulsiveness which become the bookends that confine their personal growth and development.

I would like for you to re-examine your Black identity and decouple it from a particular activity or state of being and instead view it as an ideology. An ideology where you cooperate with, advocate for, and prioritize like-minded Black people (from here forth referred to as “the code”). What is the benefit of this you may ask? Well to get to that answer, let’s examine the pitfalls of our old way of defining Blackness.

Defining Blackness by Activities

“Brothas, don’t jet ski”, “Sistas don’t be doing yoga”, “Black people don’t eat organic” and etc are all self-limiting phrases that are spoken by those who define blackness by activities. The danger in this, is that Blackness becomes dogmatic and confined to a socially acceptable group of activities.
Now what happens if the group of activities the community has aligned around are self-destructive, unproductive, and/or salacious?”. It creates a cycle where the community participates in and perpetuates self-destructive behaviors and shuns everything that can break the cycle saying, “that’s what those other folk do”. To make this tangible, we have:

Marcus: Smokes, drinks, listens to rap, gang bangs, and curses.

Jason: Well-dressed, doesn’t drink or smoke, listens to rock, and dirt bikes every weekend.

When blackness is defined by activities, Marcus can present as more authentically black due to increased participation in activities deemed socially acceptable. The limitations of this frame of thought are that it does not consider if any of these individuals abide by “The Code”. Marcus may have a higher social participation than Jason, but Marcus is staunchly against cooperating with, advocating for, and prioritizing like-minded Black people thus making him an enemy to progress. Individuals like Marcus make the best government informants/agents as they have street credibility but no allegiance to the greater group.

Defining Blackness by State of Being

“Man you ain’t from the hood”, “you ain’t ever struggled”, “you don’t be in the hood” these are phrases we hear uttered by those who define blackness by a State of Being. These individuals view their blackness based on where they live, who they associate with, and their economic status which at face value does not appear to be problematic; but what if the socially accepted state of being is one of disrepair, disorder, and deprivation?
Well, it results in individuals who perpetuate a cycle of poverty because the very thought of success, comfort, and abundance is an affront to their identity. This thought process knows no economic bounds and manifests itself in different ways. Let’s identify 3 different personas in the Black community and see how this mind state could potentially impact them:

...read the rest here:

Last edited:

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
It wouldn't let me click the link or paste it but I like what I read. What is your definition of "like minded black people"? I only ask because wouldn't those black people who define blackness by activities or state of beings be on code with others who subscribe to those ideologies? Thus forming more than one black code of conduct or group of "like minded black people"? You broke your points down very well I was just wondering since the link won't let me follow it.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
It wouldn't let me click the link or paste it but I like what I read. What is your definition of "like minded black people"? I only ask because wouldn't those black people who define blackness by activities or state of beings be on code with others who subscribe to those ideologies? Thus forming more than one black code of conduct or group of "like minded black people"? You broke your points down very well I was just wondering since the link won't let me follow it.

The like-minded Black people are the ones who also agree to cooperate with, advocate for, and prioritize like-minded Black people, it’s a circular statement. But the reason its important is because we don’t want to cooperate with, advocate for, and prioritize off-code Black people.

To your other point, yes there will be multiple codes but this code aligns with Black empowerment and self-determination. Us being on code with one another to uplift our people will not stop people like Larry Elder and Candice Owens from having their own.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the feedback.

Here’s the link:

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
The like-minded Black people are the ones who also agree to cooperate with, advocate for, and prioritize like-minded Black people, it’s a circular statement. But the reason its important is because we don’t want to cooperate with, advocate for, and prioritize off-code Black people.

To your other point, yes there will be multiple codes but this code aligns with Black empowerment and self-determination. Us being on code with one another to uplift our people will not stop people like Larry Elder and Candice Owens from having their own.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the feedback.

Here’s the link:

Thanks you're a great writer. Great read

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Thanks you're a great writer. Great read

Thank you, that means a lot to me!

I agree with most of these things
I used to be a prisoner to this type of thinking

Me too, which part was most accurate for you. I used to define blackness by activity but as I matured I started to open my horizons and see life outside of the block I grew up on. I started to see the people who defined blackness by activities as small minded and ignorant.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Thank you, that means a lot to me!

Me too, which part was most accurate for you. I used to define blackness by activity but as I matured I started to open my horizons and see life outside of the block I grew up on. I started to see the people who defined blackness by activities as small minded and ignorant.
Activities
It's not even just black people. other races thought I was mixed because i was into things/subjects they've been told black people aren't into. Math, science, etc
I guess that's a little bit of state of being as well

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Will give this a read but yeah we really need to look at what and how 'blackness' is defined

I remember a thread on here on someone said they liked to go hiking. Of course some of the comments were along the lines of that's a white people thing

I was cheered that many other black people on here also liked to hike and knew the benefits of just enjoying nature.

Why should white people be able to enjoy something and not have people comment on it negatively?

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Activities
It's not even just black people. other races thought I was mixed because i was into things/subjects they've been told black people aren't into. Math, science, etc
I guess that's a little bit of state of being as well

Wow that’s terrible.

What is the author's name?

J. Marcase

Will give this a read but yeah we really need to look at what and how 'blackness' is defined

I remember a thread on here on someone said they liked to go hiking. Of course some of the comments were along the lines of that's a white people thing

I was cheered that many other black people on here also liked to hike and knew the benefits of just enjoying nature.

Why should white people be able to enjoy something and not have people comment on it negatively?

Exactly. Why should they be allowed to explore the skies, the oceans, space and we confine ourselves to BET and the corner store? It’s such a terrible way of thinking and to think that it ties into how you view yourself.

Thought-provoking essay. Congrats!

Thanks man!

I think this is an antiquated view.

Why, please explain…I would love to hear your thoughts.

I agree black people need to associate being black with each other not what people do

I kinda agree…we should judge it based on what you do but that “do” is collaborate with, advocate for, and prioritize like-minded Blacks. If we judge based on genetics then we form a kinship with c00ns and sellouts.

That line from dikk Gregory, we called Clinton the first black President then turned around and said Obama wasn’t black enough.

This is a great example of defining blackness by activity.

Bill Clinton played the Saxophone and people thought sax = jazz and jazz = Black thus Bill + Sax = Bill is Black. When they whole time we should have been looking at who collaborated with, advocated for, and prioritized Black people. In that case it’s f*kk both of them.

"Blackness" I cringe everytime I hear that fukking retarded fake intellectual Twitter term. No offense op.

But its a real thing and we should be able to talk about it.