10/14 PBC on SHO: Tim Tszyu vs Brian Mendoza (WBO Super Welterweight Title)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
F4So94KaEAA3edE.0.jpg

Tim Tszyu is set for a potential blockbuster super-welterweight world title unification bout later this year when he steps into the ring with Brian Mendoza on October 15.

The Australian had again been linked to a fight with Jermell Charlo but those plans were thrown out the window when the American announced last month he would be moving up two weight classes to take on Mexican superstar Canelo Álvarez.

Tszyu (23-0, 17 KO) has since been elevated by the WBO from interim to full world champion, and if the WBC follows its lead with Mendoza (22-2, 16 KO), it would mean a world title unification bout between the pair.

"I'm expecting a war and I'm expecting Mendoza to test me more than any other fighter," said Tszyu. "He has power in both hands and has shown he thrives off being that underdog, so I doubt coming to Australia will bother him but don't expect a single person to be cheering for him.

"This was the fight to be made and the only fight that had me pumped up. Styles make fights and it has the potential to be a banger because we both go looking for the fight, have heavy hands and chase those killer knockouts everyone loves to replay over, and over, and over again.

"The road to undisputed continues, it's just going to take a little longer. But trust me, the journey to get there will be way sweeter."

Mendoza cruised by former unified champion Jeison Rosario in November last year, before he knocked out the previously unbeaten Sebastian Fundora to capture the WBC interim-title at 154-pounds. The fight with Tszyu will be the first time he's stepped into the ring outside the United States.

The winner of the fight will likely earn the opportunity to battle Charlo, should he opt to return to the division following his fight against Álvarez on September 30.

For Tszyu, it will be his third fight of the year. In March, he claimed a ninth-round knockout of former WBC titlist Tony Harrison in Sydney, before crushing highly credentialed Mexican Carlos Ocampo inside 77 seconds on the Gold Coast in June.

A city and venue for the fight will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Sam Goodman vs. Miguel Flores is Set For Tszyu-Mendoza Card​

sam-goodman_1692855749.jpg

BY RANDOM HITS
Published Thu Sep 14, 2023, 12:12 PM EDT
The venue is now officially set. Tim Tszyu will defend his WBO super welterweight world title on Sunday, October 15, at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Australia.
Tszyu (23-0, 17KO) will collide with Brian Mendoza following the World Boxing Organization’s (WBO) decision to elevate him to full champion status as soon as Jermell Charlo is announced in the ring for his highly anticipated fight with Canelo Alvarez on September 30.
It is the third fight for the 28-year-old inside seven months having blasted out Carlos Ocampo on the Gold Coast in June, and disposing of former WBC world champion Tony Harrison with a ninth-round stoppage in Sydney in March.
The co-main event is also set, with Australia’s Sam Goodman (16-0, 7 KO) facing former world title challenger Miguel Flores (25-4-1).
Tszyu-Mendoza will be broadcast live on Foxtel’s Main Event and Kayo Sports in Australia and on Showtime in the USA.
No Limit Boxing CEO George Rose said: “This fight is a massive coup for the Gold Coast and Australia,” Rose said.
“The energy of a world title fight week in one of the best locations in the country is something not to be missed. His knockout of Carlos Ocampo a few months ago was absolutely stunning and left areal mark on boxing fans around the globe.”
“It’s looking like this will be Tim’s final fight on our shores for the foreseeable future and Brian Mendoza is an incredibly dangerous man.”
“He’s ranked number two in the division, so it doesn’t get any bigger than this. It’s going to be a cracker and expect fireworks from the opening bell.”
Queensland Tourism and Sport Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said the Gold Coast is the perfect location for the world title fight.
“It's terrific that Tim has again chosen the outstanding Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre to defend his world title, with fans no doubt chomping at the bit to see more of him in action, following his last fight first round win.
“The bout, backed by Tourism and Events Queensland, will also pack a punch for our visitor economy, with sporting fans travelling from around the country, while images highlighting the magnificent Gold Coast, will be beamed to a global audience.
“Local hotels, restaurants and hospitality venues will welcome the boost in visitors, who we expect to stay around 7,500 visitor nights, spending almost $4 million and supporting good local tourism jobs."
Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said: “It’s on! The biggest world title bout in Australia this year – right here on the Gold Coast,’’ said Mayor Tom Tate.
“Gold Coasters have adopted Tim as their own so to have him choose our city for this blockbuster is incredible news.
“This will be a monumental fight night bringing together two champions from the WBO and WBC Super Welterweight divisions. I’m backing Tim to stand proud on October 15 and deliver the goods for Australia.’’

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Oh so now it's official?

The 154 lb division is COMPETITIVE. Easily the most slept on division in Boxing

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Tsyzu stays busy.

Charlo v Tsyzu, maybe the biggest duck in recent boxing?

Faked a broken wrist and everything.

Perhaps they were working on the Canelo fight in the background the whole time, I’ll make that allowance.

• Haha
Reactions: IVS

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Tsyzu stays busy.

Charlo v Tsyzu, maybe the biggest duck in recent boxing?

Faked a broken wrist and everything.

Perhaps they were working on the Canelo fight in the background the whole time, I’ll make that allowance.

Easily the biggest duck. Tszyu was Charlo's manditory for a YEAR AND A HALF :deadrose:

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Easily the biggest duck. Tszyu was Charlo's manditory for a YEAR AND A HALF :deadrose:
I kinda get it with Canelo etc, but at the same time, nah.

Charlo straight lied on The breakfast club interview too. Said he was waiting for Tsyzu to heal also?

What? Tsyzu got bitten by a dog, could have stopped, but fought a week later anyway. Where are you waiting?

That part was the icing on the cake.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Tim Tszyu Upgraded To Full WBO Junior Middleweight Titlist​

tim-tszyu%20(12)_1687067636.jpg

BY JAKE DONOVAN
Published Sun Oct 01, 2023, 04:12 AM EDT
Jermell Charlo left the ring with one more loss and one less belt than when the night began.
Tim Tszyu was officially upgraded to WBO junior middleweight titlist the moment Charlo’s name was announced ahead of his failed challenge of Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez’s fully unified super middleweight crown. An event billed as ‘Undisputed vs. Undisputed’ rang true until the pre-fight introductions, at which point Tszyu advanced from his previous interim title status to full titleholder per an August 3 ruling which permitted Alvarez-Charlo to move forward.
Confirmation of the move came in a ruling from the WBO who approved full sanction of Tszyu’s forthcoming October 15 title defense versus Brian Mendoza in Broadbeach, Australia.
As noted by WBO Championship Committee chairman Luis Batista-Salas, “[T]his sanction letter incorporates by reference the provisions set forth in the WBO World Championship Committee “Resolution” dated August 3, 2023, and therefore, adopts as a condition thereto the following provisions:
I. The WBO will sanction Canelo/Charlo scheduled for September 30, 2023, in Las Vegas, Nevada;
II. Charlo will be allowed to enter the ring as WBO Champion and be announced as such (WBO Jr. Middleweight Champion);
III. after Charlo enters the ring on September 30, 2023, and is officially introduced as WBO Jr. Middleweight Champion, his status and recognition as WBO Champion is terminated “Ipso Facto”;
IV. after Charlo’s WBO Champion status and recognition is terminated pursuant to the conditions set forth in the referenced WBO “Resolution,” Tim Tszyu will be automatically elevated from Interim Champion to Full Champion status.”
Houston’s Charlo (35-2-1, 19KOs) was previously on the hook to face New South Wales’ Tszyu (23-0, 17KOs) in a mandatory title defense. Their bout was scheduled for January 28 in Las Vegas, but Charlo withdrew due to a broken hand injury suffered in mid-December.
Tszyu was permitted to fight for the WBO’s interim junior middleweight title, which he claimed in a ninth-round knockout of former WBC titleholder Tony Harrison on March 12 in Sydney. He defended the belt in a 77-second wipeout of Carlos Ocampo on June 18 at Gold Coast Convention Centre in Broadbeach, where he will now return as a full titleholder.
The concession made by the WBO allowed Charlo to enter the T-Mobile Arena as the undisputed junior middleweight champion, a status which no longer held true once the opening bell rang for Saturday’s Showtime Pay-Per-View main event. Charlo went on to lose a lopsided decision to Alvarez (60-2-2, 39KOs) in a disappointing performance but without the rest of his junior middleweight hardware at stake given the two-weight jump.
Charlo remains the lineal, WBC, WBA and IBF champion. It is now up to the WBA and IBF to enforce those mandatories. He suggested an immediate return to 154 but has been dismissive about a fight with Tszyu and instead called for a showdown with three-division and undisputed welterweight champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford.
The team for Israil Madrimov plans to pursue the WBA to enforce the Uzbek’s due title challenge. Bakhram Murtazaliev (21-0, 15KOs) previously had paperwork in place that guaranteed a shot at Charlo following his tenth-round knockout win of Brian Castano in their rematch last May 14 to fully unify the division. The 30-year-old Russian has been content, however, to collect step-aside payments and face middling opposition.
Meanwhile, Tszyu now joins his Hall of Fame father Kostya Tszyu as a recognized major titleholder. The second-generation boxer preferred to face Charlo for the belt. He instead settled for an active 2023 campaign where he will now enter his third fight of the year and now in possession of the title he has pursued for more than a year.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I kinda get it with Canelo etc, but at the same time, nah.

Charlo straight lied on The breakfast club interview too. Said he was waiting for Tsyzu to heal also?

What? Tsyzu got bitten by a dog, could have stopped, but fought a week later anyway. Where are you waiting?

That part was the icing on the cake.

Yupp and in the post press conference after the Canelo fight, he was like "I'm not really looking for a challenge at this point of my career, and only looking for big money fights now"

:francis::mjlol:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Mendoza in the upset. I seriously don't see the hype with Tszyu

One thing I want to know is can Tszyu take a punch from someone how can crack

His last two fights didn't tell me much. Ocampo was scared from the opening bell, and Tony Harrison isn't that type of fighter. Mendoza would be a great test for him. I'm leaning towards Mendoza

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Is this Tszyu cat really good or he's just eating off his father's name like Eubank Jr