10 Crazy Ads From History

Zapp Brannigan

Captain of the Nimbus
Daps
Reppin
DOOP
Original Link:

Learned Marketing » Marketing tips and resources. Never stop learning.10 Crazy Ads from History » Learned Marketing

ZPglZfd.jpg

Are you concerned that your infant isn’t part of the ‘in crowd’? Better get little Timmy there started on a ‘strict regimen’ of cola today so he isn’t awkward and uncool in those formative teen years. You want your baby to be cool don’t you? DON’T YOU?! This Coca Cola ad which ran in the 1950′s suggested as much, lauding the ‘health’ benefits of Coca Cola, and that the beverage ‘promotes active lifestyle’ and ‘boosts personality’. Like many cigarette ads running during this decade the product’s impact on health, which at the time was not fully understood, seems laughable now. However, as TLC’s Honey Boo Boo has proven, nothing is more effective at making your kid popular and famous than caffeinated soda. Also, that baby has the most amazing hair I’ve ever seen on an infant.

QEqdGFn.jpg

This ad, which ran in 1952, pitched Van Heusen’s Oxford shirt line as the premiere upper torso covering of the successful Caucasian business professional in your life. The issue here is obvious, no one in their right mind believes a blond man would be used in 1950′s mass advertising! Right? Yeah… 4 smiling leave-it-to-beaver father figures make the ‘smart’ choice and go with Van Heusen shirts, only the ‘savage’ – complete with nose ring and femur bone through his top-knot – chooses otherwise. And even HE has doubts about his choice of boars-tooth necklace. Thanks Van Heusen! Aside from blatant racism, even in 1952, Van Huesen had other ads that failed the eye test for public consumption including a number that set new standards for sexism in advertising. How trustworthy are these guys anyway? One clearly has no understanding of how a pipe works, appearing seconds away from grinding through the stem with his alien-like tooth ridge and the center gentleman appears to have just suffered a serious head injury. All-in-all, Van Heusen missed the mark.

9NwpeyW.jpg

Tipalet ran this print ad during the late 1960′s to early 1970′s. Tipalet, which appears to have sold some sort of cigar/q-tip hybrid, tells it’s potential customers that all it takes to win over a woman is a blast of cherry scented smoke up her nostrils. As luck would have it, they had just the product to assist in your beekeeper method of womanly wooing. With obvious sexist overtones, as well as a pitch that is downright stupid – “buy our scented cigars so you can blast people with grape flavored burn-off” this Tipalet campaign fails to accomplish much more than set the stage for decades of dirty jokes by anyone who stumbles across it. Also, why did everyone in the 60′s use appear as if they used industrial strength car grease to shellac their body hair to fire-hazard levels? Smoke inhalation induced brain damage? Yeah… that has to be it.

oLobPvi.jpg

Del Monte Ketchup’s 1953′s ad campaign had a simple message – “We’ve make it so easy to open our ketchup bottles even women, with their weak fingers and stupid not-man brain, can open to access our quality vinegar-tomato puree.” This woman, in fact, is so surprised and delight by this fact that she appears on the verge of ketchup induced ecstasy. Truly, Del Monte had engineer the first great steps toward equality of the sexes. First it was ketchup bottles, then who knows – maybe someday women will be allowed on the streets like normal folk? Look at that model up there in that ad holding the ketchup bottle, she thinks she’s people! I’ve heard complaints that too many ads today poke fun at the ‘bumbling guy-dad’ stereotype… but after seeing this ad, fair is fair. Fire away.

beD1bS2.jpg

Who wouldn’t trust Doctor McStrongjaw up there to tell what is healthy and what isn’t? Heck, I’d trust him to perform open heart surgery solely on the basis that he has ‘a doctory look to him’. If he walked onto any medical school campus in the nation – he’d be awarded an honorary degree on the spot. Which he would add to all the real life medical degrees he’s surely earned the old fashioned way – pouring over medical journals while chain-smoking a pack of “doctor’s choice” Camels. This campaign by Camel, which ran from 1940 to 1949, was in response to nationwide rumblings that perhaps inhaling smoke on a daily basis may not be the best idea when it came to health. Camel attacked the notion directly with a school-yard “nuh uh it isn’t bad for you!” approach. Also, in regards to the ‘survey’ the campaign is referencing? “In an attempt to substantiate the “More Doctors” claim, R.J. Reynolds paid for surveys to be conducted during medical conventions using two survey methods: Doctors were gifted free packs of Camel cigarettes at tobacco company booths and them upon exiting the exhibit hall, were then immediately asked to indicate their favorite brand or were asked which cigarette they carried in their pocket.” (Stanford School of Medicine) Whoops, hindsight is twenty/twenty eh Camel?

lxE8UoY.jpg

Not sure what to say about this Cream of Wheat ad, which appears to be striving for Norman Rockwell undertones. Instead the undertones ring more “Cannibal Holocaust” or perhaps “Soylent Greent”. Clearly that kindly Cream of Wheat chef has paid the stork to drop off daily… uhh… groceries. Oh, also, according to the caption at the base of the ad – that bespectacled stork can talk. Thank you Cream of Wheat, for the nightmare fuel.

vZ32XQE.jpg

“Hank, we here at Chase and Sanborn Coffee feel that our new ad campaign should reflect the solid familial values our company was founded on. Hard work, early mornings, late nights and some good ole fashion spousal abuse.” Nothing sells coffee more effectively than fear of retribution. Hell… the terrified pain in that poor woman’s eyes makes me want to double check my coffee brand – and I don’t even drink coffee. Another gem from the 1950′s depicts what Chase and Sanborn likely feel is a perfectly reasonable response to any woman who dares prepare stale coffee. Also… the ad seems to imply that Chase and Sanborn have a solution to stale coffee (apart from simply choosing their product) – “today there’s a sure and certain way to test for freshness before you buy”, however the copy-writer for the ad must have died mid paragraph, because no mention or explanation is made as to specifically WHAT that solution is.

JvJp2rH.jpg

If there is one thing we can all agree on, it’s that all women are terrible drivers… am-I-right bros?! Another ad standing firmly atop the 1950′s ad-man’s bread and butter, sexism. How could you Don Draper? Look… you made me so upset that I mixed metaphors. This campaign from Volkswagen presents the value-proposition that a Volkswagen produced vehicle is so affordable to maintain and repair – that men can feel comfortable allowing their wives bumper-car the vehicle around town like a rodeo clown. Ad fail highlight – “Women are soft and gentle, but they hit things” Hahahaha oh wow… just wow. Hopefully for Volkswagen, their prototypical “50′s wife’ can yank her eyes away from glitzy department store windows long enough to hobo-roll the car home for the man to get it repaired. Otherwise downtown Bigcity USA would be positively littered with wrecked Volkswagen lovebugs.

MPFh07F.jpg

Hey! Leper-Zombie demon children with an affinity for bow ties need transportation too! In my mind, the freckled (pock-marked) lad/disembodied head leans in from off-camera, already sporting a rigamortus smile… “Daaaad? Daaaaaaaad? Desoooooto Biiiiiike…” Yikes, just gave myself the heebie-jeebies. Also, that bike is ugly as sin.

QvZhR9H.jpg

Nothing like an afternoon of cocaine shakes and lincoln-logs with Lucy from down the street. “Mother? My uhhh… my tooth hurts again.”

tonyclifton

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
sometimes i wonder if in 50 years people will look back at our ads and whatnot with the same reaction

my grandson in the future

sees old red bull ad

" isnt that the stuff that caused deathly ulcers in the stomach after years of use"

"remember when people used those electronic cigarettes and thought they were healthier until it came out it also causes cancer."

:mindblown:

Zapp Brannigan

Captain of the Nimbus
Daps
Reppin
DOOP
sometimes i wonder if in 50 years people will look back at our ads and whatnot with the same reaction

my grandson in the future

sees red bull ad

" isnt that the stuff that caused deathly ulcers in the stomach after years of use"

"remember when people used those electronic cigarettes and thought they were healthier until it came out it also causes cancer."

:mindblown:

:lupe: Remember when it was shown that lurking too many message boards was proven to cause mental retardation? :merchant: