10 Years Later, Is Dark Knight Still The Best?

Is Dark Knight Still The Best?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
It's been 10 years and a dark Knight still the goat. A lot of comic movies ain't stood the test of time. Let that shyt breathe.

like i said i'm not talking about the movie's reputation, i'm talking about pure subjective enjoyment.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
like i said i'm not talking about the movie's reputation, i'm talking about pure subjective enjoyment.

I definitely hear what you're saying. At the same time, when the Dark Knight dropped, the initial reaction from some people was that it was the Goat movie not just the Goat comic book movie lol. While something should be said for gut, initial reactions, it's also true that people have a more critical assessment of a film once the hype has died down and there's less of a mob mentality behind it.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Nolan's Batman trilogy is like the Godfather trilogy. 1 movie obviously better, one was pretty good, and then the other you pretend didn't happen.

A lot of these movies are just comic books in film, basically taken from the Toby McGuire Spiderman franchise. Like action-comedies. Even some of the Batman triology were more like that

Dark Knight was an actual like, "film." I wouldn't compare it to Avengers or any of that shyt, you compare it to Scarface and the Godfather, etc.

Heath Ledger probably put on the greatest movie villain performances in history. In Apocalypse Now, Marlon Brando was barely on screen because he was so fat. Heath carried at least half of that movie, and his scenes were all amazing. RIP to the god. :mjcry:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
See I disagree with that. Batman’s source is pulp novels. And there are plenty of Batman comics that are right in line with the dark knight tonally. Long Halloween being the most obvious culprit. So to say it doesn’t have any comic elements doesn’t feel right to me. It feels completely apt to a Batman comic.

The idea that a comic book movie had to have certain things to be a comic book movie flies in the face of guys like Stan Lee and Gerry Conway and frank miller and Alan Moore. They were all told what a comic book had to be or what it was and said “nah” and decided to do their own thing to elevate the medium.

Dark knight elevates the medium in the same way lee did by saying you can have flawed protagonists or make political statements. Same way Moore did with watchmen and the same way Conway did by saying the hero doesn’t always win and will suffer true loss.

Dark knight keeps its feet in the real world but always draws from comics for parallels or tone. The trifecta between Gordon, dent, and Batman is right out of the comic book, along with Harvey’s descent to becoming two face. And even if the joker is now an allegory for a terrorist, he’s still in line with the comics from a character standpoint.

Of course The Dark Knight pulls from Batman comics but it might be the comic book movie the draws the least from the comics, at least from what I've read. The scenes with Gordon, Dent and others without Batman/Joker might as well be from The Departed or Goodfellas.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Dark Knight was an actual like, "movie." I wouldn't compare it to Avengers or any of that shyt, you compare it to Scarface and the Godfather, etc.

i never would.

in fact it's this insistence from the TDK fanbase that turns me against it the most.

it's obviously more ambitious and has more depth than the popcorn fun of avengers, but i'm sorry once you stop judging it as a comic book movie and you judge it as an actual DRAMA it's not actually in the discussion. like not even close. it's a silly movie in comparison.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Of course The Dark Knight pulls from Batman comics but it might be the comic book movie the draws the least from the comics, at least from what I've read. The scenes with Gordon, Dent and others without Batman/Joker might as well be from The Departed or Goodfellas.

Those are reminiscent of the type of shyt you’d read in the long Halloween or Gotham central.

Batman has always been organized crime focused

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Those are reminiscent of the type of shyt you’d read in the long Halloween or Gotham central.

Batman has always been organized crime focused

But those elements are taken from movies and books. Those elements don't define comic books or Batman as a character and never done them really well imo. Like I love BTAS but any eps with Rupert Thorpe or Roland Daggett as the main bad guy are terrible.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Nah, all the Gordon, Dent and Batman scenes were a pretty direct homage to the Long Halloween, as @MartyMcFly said

long_halloween_rooftop.jpg

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
There is no doubt it is...NOTHING is close. Yes, that includes Black Panther as well.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
But those elements are taken from movies and books. Those elements don't define comic books or Batman as a character and never done them really well imo. Like I love BTAS but any eps with Rupert Thorpe or Roland Daggett as the main bad guy are terrible.

And see I'd disagree. Those elements do define Batman comics for me because its his world. That entire world is fleshed out to the point where I want to know how it functions. I need to know exactly how corrupt Gotham is that it needs a guy who dresses up as a Bat to save it and help the police. So understanding how the police force works or how the mob works and how they're intertwined is key. And like in the comics, those characters are important to the narrative. All the Falcone stuff from Long Halloween is necessary and works. Understanding their family hierarchy and their interpersonal relationships foreshadows stuff that's coming later in the comic