15 CONVICTIONS LINKED TO CORRUPT CHICAGO COP ARE THROWN OUT

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
CHICAGO (AP) — One by one, the men told the same story: A Chicago police officer would demand money from them. And if they didn't pay, they would find themselves in handcuffs with drugs stuffed in their pockets.

CBImages

Teresa Crawford
Leonard Gipson, one of 15 convicted men, talks to reporters Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017, in Chicago, after a judge threw out the convictions of the men, who say a corrupt Chicago police sergeant manufactured evidence that sent them to prison. Cook County prosecutors made the request Thursday as 10 of the men stood before Judge Leroy Martin Jr. It was the latest chapter in a scandal that resulted in former Sgt. Ronald Watts' 2013 conviction for extorting money from drug dealers. (AP Photo/Teresa Crawford)
APImages.com More photos »
A Cook County judge on Thursday threw out the felony drug convictions of 15 black men who all say they were locked up for no other reason except that they refused to pay Ronald Watts.

It was the largest mass exoneration in memory in Chicago. And even in a city where it has become almost routine for police misconduct to lead to overturned convictions, the courthouse had never seen anything like the order issued in front of more than a dozen men whose lives were changed forever by the former sergeant.

The men described how it was common for blacks in the city's poorest communities to be shaken down.

"Everyone knew if you're not going to pay Watts, you were going to jail. That's just the way it was going," said Leonard Gipson, 36, who had two convictions tossed out.

The practice, they recalled, was all the more chilling because the officer was so open about it.

"Watts always told me, 'If you're not going to pay me, I'm going to get you.' And every time I ran into him, he put drugs on me," he said. "I went to prison and did 24 months for Watts, and I came back home and he put another case on me."

He and others said there was nothing anyone could do about it. They watched Watts and his crew continue to extort drug dealers and residents, a practice that lasted for years, despite complaints to the police department and statements made during court hearings.

Finally, in 2013, Watts and another officer pleaded guilty to stealing money from an FBI informant, but Watts' sentence of 22 months was shorter than those being handed out to the men he framed.

Thirteen of the 15 men were out of custody before Thursday's hearing, with the other two still behind bars on unrelated charges. Their sentences ranged from nearly a decade to probation. Some said the only reason they were out of custody is that they agreed to plead guilty in exchange for shorter sentences than the drugs planted on them might have produced.

"I had to, I had a baby due," said 33-year-old Marcus Watts, who pleaded guilty to drug charges in exchange for a six-month sentence and a second set of drug charges in exchange for a seven-month sentence. "The way I looked at it was if they put the cuffs on you, you already lost."

Prosecutors asked the judge to act after the conviction-integrity unit of the Cook County State's Attorney's Office reviewed the cases.

"In all good conscience we could not let these convictions stand," said Mark Rotert, who heads the unit.
15 convictions linked to corrupt Chicago cop are thrown out

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Eighteen people who were convicted of crimes tied to a corrupt former police sergeant were exonerated Monday.

A total of 42 convictions linked to Chicago Police Sergeant Ronald Watts have been overturned after Monday. The latest reversals are drug cases from between 2003 and 2008.

The defendants all served sentences ranging from probation to four years in prison.

Watts pleaded guilty to corruption after his 2012 arrest and served 22 months in federal prison.

In 2012, Watts and Officer Kallatt Mohammed were federally indicted and later pled guilty to taking a bribe from an informant. Since then new documents revealed Watts and his team planted evidence and fabricated charges on South Side residents.

As each person's conviction was overturned and they prepared to leave thecourtroom, Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx shook their hands.

"We complained, we complained, we complained. Wrote letters, did everything, nobody listened. Nobody listened. It took this to happen," said Vondell Wilbourn, who had charges dismissed.

"The system owes an apology to the men who stand behind us. What we know about what was happening with Sgt. Watts, the way that he ran his operation, were that there were many men and women who fell victim to his corrupt ways," Foxx said.

Monday, some of the men who had their charges dismissed and their attorneys spoke.

"I'm just happy that I'm able to move forward with my life," said Martez Wise, who had charges against him dismissed. "It's been four years out of my life that I had to be away from my family and kids. I'm not the only one that had to suffer. I mean, they had to suffer too because I had to be away from them. I'm just glad that we're at this point."

"Those officers were allowed to remain on the street and make these mass arrests over and over and over again for close to a decade and that's why we're in this mess and that's why we're lucky to have a state's attorney's office who is willing to finally keep the promises to clean up police corruption and start to get a measure of justice for went on for so long," said attorney Joshua Tepfer with the Exoneration Project.

"Those officers used people in the Ida B. Wells homes for over a decade and put cases on people who didn't cooperate with their corrupt scheme, took bribes, stole money and drug from drug dealers, and really ruined the lives of dozens, maybe hundreds," said attorney Joel Flaxman.

The first mass exonerations tied to Watts and his team happened back in November. Since then 15 current Chicago Police officers connected with Watts' tactical team were put on desk duty and the Cook County State's Attorney's office said they will no longer use testimony for officers tied to Watts.

However, the fact that those connected to Watts are still on the force at all was troubling for those recently cleared of charges.

"It's scary knowing that they still on the force, and like I said, they figured that Watts don't have connections. Quit playing. Watts got connections because he went as far to do all of this, to organize all of this. It's far beyond Watts," Wilbourn said.

According to attorneys with the Exoneration Project, Watts was linked to some 500 convictions and currently they are vetting more cases related to Watts as new information continues to pour in.

Last June, Anthony McDaniels became the 24th person to have his conviction overturned because it was linked to Watts, who led a corrupt crew of CPD cops.

In November 2017, the convictions of 15 men were overturned in what was called the first mass exoneration in the history of Cook County.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:coffee:
Live under local cac jurisdictions and expect anything other than cac behavior...

Chicago Demographics
Racial and ethnic makeup
The racial makeup of the city in 2010 was 45.3% white (31.7% non-Hispanic white), 32% black, 5% Asian, and 3% from two or more races. The ethnic makeup of the population is 28% Hispanic and 72% belong to non Hispanic background.[3] In 2000, 21.7% of the population was foreign born; of this, 56.3% came from Latin America, 23.1% from Europe, 18.0% from Asia and 2.6% from other parts of the world.[4] Chicago has the fifth highest foreign-born population in the United States.[citation needed]

In 2016, the population of Hispanics exceeded that of Blacks to become Chicago's second largest minority group with non-Hispanic Whites representing 32.6% of the population Hispanics at 29.7% of the population, and Blacks at 29.3% of the population.[5]