1995: Norm R Allen Jr on Black Nationalists Similar Behavior to White Supremacists

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Norm R. Allen, Jr., former director of African Americans for Humanism, calls black nationalism a "strange mixture of profound thought and patent nonsense".

On the one hand, Reactionary Black Nationalists (RBNs) advocate self-love, self-respect, self-acceptance, self-help, pride, unity, and so forth - much like the right-wingers who promote "traditional family values." But - also like the holier-than-thou right-wingers - RBNs promote bigotry, intolerance, hatred, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, pseudo-science, irrationality, dogmatic historical revisionism, violence, and so forth.[19]

Allen further criticizes black nationalists' strong "attraction for hardened prisoners and ex-cons", their encouragement of violence when other African-American individuals or groups are branded as "Toms," traitors, or "sellouts", the blatantly sexist stance and the similarities to white supremacist ideologies:

Many RBNs routinely preach hate. Just as white supremacists have referred to African Americans as "devils," so have many RBNs referred to whites. White supremacists have verbally attacked gays, as have RBNs. White supremacists embrace paranoid conspiracy theories, as do their African counterparts. Many white supremacists and RBNs consistently deny that they are preaching hate, and blame the mainstream media for misrepresenting them. (A striking exception is the NOI's Khallid Muhammad, who, according to Gates, admitted in a taped speech titled "No Love for the Other Side": "Never will I say I am not anti-Semitic. I pray that God will kill my enemy and take him off the face of the planet.") Rather, they claim they are teaching "truth" and advocating the love of their own people, as though love of self and hatred of others are mutually exclusive positions. On the contrary, RBNs preach love of self and hatred of their enemies. (Indeed, it often seems that these groups are motivated more by hatred of their enemies than love of their people.)[19]

Tunde Adeleke, Nigerian-born professor of History and Director of the African American Studies program at the University of Montana, argues in his book UnAfrican Americans: Nineteenth-Century Black Nationalists and the Civilizing Mission that 19th-century African-American nationalism embodied the racist and paternalistic values of Euro-American culture and that black nationalist plans were not designed for the immediate benefit of Africans but to enhance their own fortunes.[20]
Black nationalism - Wikipedia
"Reactionary Black Nationalism: Authoritarianism in the Name of Freedom" by Allen, Norm R., Jr. - Free Inquiry, Vol. 15, Issue 4, Fall 1995 | Online Research Library: Questia

:ohhh: I'm shocked because I've been saying similar things about militants/HYON/AADOS for the last year and a half.

He said this stuff in 1995.:ohhh:

I put this here instead of TLR cause I was hoping for legitimate discussion instead of insults, smart dumb posting and irrationality.

What do you think of this?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
It sounds like Norm Allen is disingenuous. That sounded like a critique on NOI (or even currently Hebrew Israelites) than on Black Nationalism. Though they espouse their own version of black nationalism they certainly do not define it. All squares are parallelograms but not all parallelograms are squares.

NOI didn't kill 1 white person in any of the cities they were in in their heyday or any time since.

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:what: WHAT?!?! last time I checked a black nationalist doesnt call for the genocide of white people in the world...

White Nationalists take their ideals from nazism and being above all others as a master race always in control...:why:

There is no fukking comparison... :camby:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
never heard of a white man scared of getting lynched.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The anti immigrant sentiment is definitely very similar. The racial purity tests of who is ADOS is Nazi like. For example, they say people like Issa Rae and Hoy Reid who have one African and one ADOS parent are not really ADOS. Black carribeans who have been here several generations like Colin Powel are also excluded from the ADOS designation.

It’s weird af.

CBSkyline

Chill
Daps
The anti immigrant sentiment is definitely very similar. The racial purity tests of who is ADOS is Nazi like. For example, they say people like Issa Rae and Hoy Reid who have one African and one ADOS parent are not really ADOS. Black carribeans who have been here several generations like Colin Powel are also excluded from the ADOS designation.

It’s weird af.
Folks who say that are using it to agenda post and take out the anger they have with immigrants. Same goes for the critics who do the same to Black Americans. Most have never bothered to look up the topic or the data behind it. The qualifications that have been proposed are pretty straightforward.

Carla Skandier: In previous works, you’ve outlined a reparations program that would require individuals to establish that they are indeed descendants of persons formerly enslaved in the United States. Considering that a reparations program would not only correct the wrongs done for slavery, but also ongoing discrimination, how would this eligibility criteria for a reparations program work? Do you see any tension between African Americans that could not prove that they are descendants of slaves?

William Darity: Actually, there’s two prongs to the criteria. One is that an individual would have to establish that they had an ancestor who was enslaved in the United States. But the second prong is that an individual would have to demonstrate that they self-described themselves as Black, Colored, African American, or Negro at least ten years prior to the onset of the program. The second criteria is in place to avoid having people suddenly announce that they are black in the aftermath of the reparations program just so that they can get the benefits of it. But the first criterion, that an individual would have to establish they have an enslaved ancestor in the United States, is intended to address the question of forced migration to the United States, excluding post-slavery black immigrants from other parts of the world who came to the United States on a voluntary basis.

The critical distinction that I want to make is the folks who have a history of ancestry that’s tied to enslavement in the United States are folks who have a history of ancestry that’s tied to coerced migration to the United States. I think that’s a critical distinction. I think that is the population who has to be identified as the truly victimized population in the process of thinking about whom should receive reparations.

For Reparations: A Conversation With William A. Darity Jr.

If you want to actually get policies right, distinctions have to be made. Off topic but that is also one of the knocks against Warren's redlining proposal. It runs the risk of not being specific enough.

Anyway I think the problem is folks are letting people like Tariq and trolls form their thoughts, which is weird to me. It would be like forming your opinions of M4A or abolish ICE by only looking on Twitter and conservative sites.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Any philosophy centered on exalting ones race over others by definition has to have these qualities.

Why is this a revelation?

You can't say we the best AND everybody equal.