2000s produced the era of a lot of producers producing more singles than albums

oregano flow

Veteran
Daps
Like for example, The Neptunes and Scott Storch was producing popular singles left and right
But they ain't produced a lot of whole albums
I wish they would've produced more albums as a whole as oppose to mostly singles

And yes, The Neptunes did produce a bulk of some albums (Clipse) and I can't remember no other albums at the moment but for as productive as they were, I just wish they would've done a lot more work producing whole albums as oppose to just a few joints and then mostly singles.

Same with Scott Storch. He, along with The Neptunes was one of the most popular producers when it came to singles but I wish he would've done a lot more producing whole albums as oppose to just mostly singles.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kanye and Timbaland are the only producers from that era that I can think of who were doing entire albums. Kanye had his own albums and Common's BE. Timbaland had Missy albums.

oregano flow

Veteran
Daps
Kanye and Timbaland are the only producers from that era that I can think of who were doing entire albums. Kanye had his own albums and Common's BE. Timbaland had Missy albums.

Yeah. In the 2000's it seemed like there was more of a focus on a variety of producers producing one whole album as oppose to one or two producers producing a whole album. I miss when albums had a cohesive sound and the sequencing on an album was everything.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
The bling/ get money era? No producers were tryna be tied down. Ask Little Brother how that shyt worked out

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
that's why its called the super- producer-producer era.

and yea, i guess producers weren't trying to be tied down either. hence, mannie fresh was THE MAN back then, but he was tied down. fast forward to this thread, and his name didn't even get mentioned yet.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mannie's name wasn't mentioned because he wasn't exactly THE MAN and the "super super producers" not only held down their own camps, they sustained and were instrumental (no pun) in other camps as well. Mannie was confined to CMR and aside from T.I. and Jeezy, he didn't do much outside of CMR.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To Mannie's credit, he did hold down CMR albums by himself. On the same token DJ Paul & Juicy J deserve mention as well because they also were doing entire albums during that era for their camp.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This is absolutely true. A lot of people's favorite producers in the 00's were guns for hire, and those that are still around often produce either entire projects, or definitely larger chunks of the projects they work on. A lot of times those that still freelance beats like to do so in bulk, so it's more efficient for an artist to cop 3 or 4 beats instead of just 1 or 2.

Labels were cutting massive checks at the time too. Mariah's label was gonna pay 70k for the Get By beat that Kanye ended up selling to Kweli for what had to have been a fraction of that. Indie producers could get lucky, get a major placement, and get a good couple year's salary off one placement.

This did cause a trend where producers would sometimes sit back and try to tailor make beats for certain artists in hopes of getting picked rather than just making what they thought was dope. So I think producers may enjoy how it is now creatively more, even if the checks are smaller.

Overall I kind of like the era we're in now in terms of producers. It was really cool to get a lot of super produced albums with joints from all the heavy hitters, but I also think it's dope now when even bigger artists will pick one or a few producers and just lock in heavily with them for the sound of a project.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
The bling/ get money era? No producers were tryna be tied down. Ask Little Brother how that shyt worked out
? Can you explain just a little bit? Not sure I follow. I'm not trying to be a dikk either even if I end up debating it later. I'm genuinely curious. Do you mean that Phonte and Pooh were trying to lock down 9th?

No doubt. The Neptunes did do the first 2 Clipse albums though which I thought was some of their best and most creative work. I think you can get way more out of an artist when you do a whole project together, and they can hear more of your sounds that might not be what everyone knows you for.

I really love projects produced entirely by own producer or small crew of producers. There's a very few albums that I consider truly classic that have a different producer doing every song.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
? Can you explain just a little bit? Not sure I follow. I'm not trying to be a dikk either even if I end up debating it later. I'm genuinely curious. Do you mean that Phonte and Pooh were trying to lock down 9th?
nah, But no lyricist or group of them was able to have a producer to themselves so to speak, which is why the producers of that era had less whole albums to their name...