2024 UPDATE!! Altman: prepare for AI to be "uncomfortable" 33% US jobs gone..SKYNET, AI medical advances? BASIC INCOME? 1st AI MOVIE! IRS using AI

bnew

Veteran
Daps

bnew

Veteran
Daps

40,000 AI-narrated audiobooks flood Audible, dividing authors and listeners​

AI audiobooks have invited backlash from narrators​

By Zo Ahmed May 6, 2024 at 8:11 AM

40,000 AI-narrated audiobooks flood Audible, dividing authors and listeners

Serving tech enthusiasts for over 25 years.

TechSpot means tech analysis and advice you can trust.

CUTTING CORNERS: A new breed of audiobook is taking over digital bookshelves – ones narrated not by professional voice actors, but by artificial intelligence voices. It's an AI audiobook revolution that has been turbo-charged by Amazon.

Since announcing a beta tool last year allowing self-published authors to generate AI "virtual voice" narrations for their ebooks, over 40,000 AI-narrated titles have flooded onto Audible, Amazon's audiobook platform. The eye-popping stat, revealed in a recent Bloomberg report, has many authors celebrating but is also raising red flags for human narrators.

For indie writers wanting to crack the lucrative audiobook market without paying hefty professional voiceover fees, Amazon's free virtual narration tool is a game-changer. One blogger cited in the report claimed converting an ebook to audio using the AI narration took just 52 minutes, bypassing the expensive studio recording route.

Others have mixed reactions. Last month, an author named George Steffanos launched an audiobook version of his existing book, posting that while he prefers human-generated works to those generated by AI, "the modest sales of my work were never going to support paying anyone for all those hours of narration."

But not everyone is giving the virtual voice glowing reviews. While the AI audiobooks are clearly labeled as such, some listeners have complained there's no option to filter them out when browsing Audible's catalog.

Human narrators are also sounding the alarm about potential job losses as the technology improves. "[It's] not taken all the jobs. But it's trying to," narrator Ramon de Ocampo ominously warned on social media about Amazon's virtual voice threat.

It has not taken all the jobs. But it's trying to. Request that audible include a filter to allow you to not see virtual voices if you choose. Right now you're drowning in them and can't stop it.

– Ramon de Ocampo (@ramondeocampo) December 18, 2023

Major publishers like HarperCollins have already inked deals with AI voice companies to produce audiobooks across languages using the tech. Even Apple started selling audiobooks with AI-based narration last year with voices seemingly based on real actors' performances. Controversy erupted when those actors said they didn't know about it.

The tensions at play highlight the differing priorities and tradeoffs facing each group. For budget-constrained indie authors, easy and free audio conversions are a no-brainer. But for listeners accustomed to human narration quality, having no filter option is frustrating. Meanwhile, publishers want to embrace cost-saving tech without alienating consumers. But narrators fear having careers undermined.

As this AI-voiced audiobook tidal wave keeps growing on Audible, all sides are being forced to grapple with balancing creative integrity against commercial incentives.

Masthead credit: Distingué CiDDiQi

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/5
OpenAI GPT-4o for customer service support!

I am going to have GPT-4o renegotiate all of my bills.

2/5
Oh me too I can’t wait to put telemarketers on the phone with my AI

3/5
Amen to that haha

4/5
Great point! Maybe only non-sensitive data then…

5/5
That would be wild haha Slightly terrifying, but, I also can’t lie, it would be pretty cool. Either way, I’m ready for whatever this rollercoaster is going to be

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
The last time we talked, I remember saying, “Real stupidity exists, but artificial intelligence does not.” I dislike the term AI, because real artificial intelligence does not exist. Very often when people mention AI, they are talking about the use of simple algorithms. For example, when it comes to speech recognition, in my eyes even the latest AI solutions are not intelligent. AI, as it is now, is mindless, and in fact, at the very best, we have achieved the intelligence of an earthworm. It will remain dependent on human oversight and judgment for decades to come. I‘m not saying that algorithms like Chat GPT don‘t work, but we must not confuse them with intelligence and unfortunately, calling it artificial intelligence is bad because already we have the word intelligence in there, and that‘s a lie.

-Pierre Racz

He is right, he calls AI Intelligent Automation because those are the limits of its capabilities and will be for a while.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
-Pierre Racz

He is right, he calls AI Intelligent Automation because those are the limits of its capabilities and will be for a while.

He’s having a PHILOSOPHICAL/SEMANTIC argument. In reality if it’s replacing human thought/intuition/labor, then whether you call it intelligence or automation makes little difference.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
He’s having a PHILOSOPHICAL/SEMANTIC argument. In reality if it’s replacing human thought/intuition/labor, then whether you call it intelligence or automation makes little difference.

I wouldn't say replacing, it's more likes it's augmenting the mind. i definitely know a a lot more now than before my daily use of language models. It's definitely replacing all types of labor though.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
That's fair but his finer point, that he didn't really go into here, is about the dependency on the algorithms - such as neural networks for example -underlying usage in the training and information retrieval in the models of today. Models built on that foundation have a human dependency and will for the foreseeable future. I was at a conference recently where he was speaking on the topic of AI and thought his comments better summarized why I disagree with the obsession of people believing there is a looming AI revolution that is going to replace a major part of the human workforce.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
That's fair but his finer point, that he didn't really go into here, is about the dependency on the algorithms - such as neural networks for example -underlying usage in the training and information retrieval in the models of today. Models built on that foundation have a human dependency and will for the foreseeable future. I was at a conference recently where he was speaking on the topic of AI and thought his comments better summarized why I disagree with the obsession of people believing there is a looming AI revolution that is going to replace a major part of the human workforce.

oh so you're optimistic. :ehh: