245 die in panicky stampede in Brazil club fire

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
brazilfire_001-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) — A deadly fire swept through a crowded nightclub in southern Brazil early Sunday, killing at least 245 people attending a university party and leaving at least 200 injured, police and firefighters said. It appeared to be the deadliest nightclub fire in more than a decade.

Witnesses said that a flare or firework lit by band members may have started the fire.

Police Maj. Cleberson Braida told local news media that the 245 bodies were brought for identification to a gymnasium in the city of Santa Maria, at the southern tip of Brazil near the borders with Argentina and Uruguay

Police raise death toll to 245 in Brazil club fire

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:to:

I was chilling with these models from Brazil on Friday

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
245 people? :wtf:

:damn:

and people scoff at all the fire regulation we have here...

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

yeah, I understand those things happen here, but:

A National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) investigation of the fire, using computer simulations with FDS and a mock-up of the stage area and dance floor, concluded that a fire sprinkler system would have contained the fire long enough to give everyone time to get out safely. However, because of the building's age (built in 1946) and size (4,484 square feet (404 m²)), many believed the Station to be exempt from sprinkler system requirements. In fact, the building had undergone an occupancy change when it was converted from a restaurant to a nightclub. This change dissolved its exemption from the law, a fact that West Warwick fire inspectors never noticed. On the night in question, the Station was legally required to have a sprinkler system but did not; outcry over the event has sparked calls for a national Fire Sprinkler Incentive Act but those efforts have so far stalled.

but I'll concede that I don't know enough about the situation (fire codes, this particular club, etc) in Brazil to make any absolute statements

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
yeah, I understand those things happen here, but:

but I'll concede that I don't know enough about the situation (fire codes, this particular club, etc) in Brazil to make any absolute statements

Nah, I wasn't pointing it out like that. I'm saying that sometimes even with regulations, these places cut corners. shyt, it happened in the BP Oil Rig.

Most likely happened in this case too. Brazil is a "Third World" country, but they do have some standards. People just like to cut corners to save money.