25 years ago one of the most infamous moments in black television happened.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
don't know a black classmate who didn't watch it. it was the premier black sitcom, taking over the void left by cosby. it didn't have the crossover appeal/success with white folks that cosby had, but it was must-see, and by like 93/94 - this and martin were running shyt.
I dunno bout white folks but Black people were tuned in around the world for a few shows. Fresh Prince being one. That's enough viewership to be more than a cross over success.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How big was fresh prince when it was on air

All black sitcom was must see t.v..

Just imagine not having on demand, or technology that lets you see something later..

Along with not evening knowing when that episode would show again..

That's why i get pissed when kids can't put the phone down, or even get off they a$$ to do chores because they on social media.. That shyt will be there when u get done..

Daps
Reppin
St louis
:mjcry:

damn pollen count.

wat6rr.jpg

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
All black sitcom was must see t.v..
nah, all of them weren't. some were niche - like all us females who were 5/6th grade - maybe early college, watched moesha, i don't know a lot of dudes who watched it religiously nor older folks. certain shows tho spanned age and gender and were simply all of black america's must see tv - cosby show, different world, martin, fresh prince, 227 (can only name the ones i was around to experience)...i assume shyt like sanford and sons, good times were those in the 70's/early 80's

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
That scene don't hit me the way the scene where Carlton doesn't believe that they got racially profiled and arrested just for being black does. That's more relatable to me than the will scene and a real eye opener.

:yeshrug:
  • will and his dad
  • carlton & will with the gun
  • carlton & will with the racial profiling (and uncle phil checking that cop)
  • will hospitalizing carlton with the speed pills
  • carlton not wanting to see uncle phil laid up after a heart attack
  • carlton breaking off that frat dude for calling him a sellout :wow:...TLR could stand to watch that scene more often, cats in here stay on some "black people all have to behave/think like this"
best emo moments from that show

Last edited: