250 kids received glasses at my H.S. for the 1st time, (effects of poverty)

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
It's things like this that you don't think about that could mean the difference between motivation and disinterest.
It's not only that but it can be the difference between civilian and incarcerated life.

One ofthe ophthalmologists I knew referenced something ridiculous like 70% of people in prison have vision problems.

That disinterest can get really bad.

Two years ago I asked the same question to another retired eye doc who does something similar to the social worker OP knows and while he admitted he didn't know the numbers he cosigned the statistic because he had, pun intended, seen it with his own eyes.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
"it still the parents fault" changes nothing. its a complaint with no valid recourse for correction. Basically just means you have given up on the kids when you say that, Unless they can actually come up with a way to hold parents accountable , people need to stop shouting that at clouds and work on plan b for improving kids education. We have entire schools where not a single student has a passing grade. People need to come with something better than "its the parents"
. fukk em. :manny:

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
In case anybody would like to donate. You will be helping out Black children. I am a witness

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Good shyt breh, 250 seems like a lot for one high school tho. Wonder if it has something to do with constant screen time? Or something else in that specific community

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Good shyt breh, 250 seems like a lot for one high school tho. Wonder if it has something to do with constant screen time? Or something else in that specific community
It is alot for a school of 800 kids. Yeah, not sure.

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
They don’t have vision and hearing tests in school anymore? There ain’t no govt healthcare that covers glasses? 😮
So I've ask some of the kids was this thier 1st time getting. Some of it was. But alot them had them before. But they either lost them or broke them. And their parents didn't replace them. Or couldn't afford to replace them.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
They don’t have vision and hearing tests in school anymore? There ain’t no govt healthcare that covers glasses? 😮
I grew up in the hood, but I wasn't in poverty. However I knew folks that knew their kids needed glasses but wouldn't even bother seeing what was available for them because they thought the kids would break the glasses and just would let them go without.

This is why I do think it's important schools teach and provide certain things for kids because a lot kids parents won't or can't. I saw a lot of fukked up shyt growing up to other people's kids.

The biggest issue I've learned with the hood is folks simply don't know what's available. And if they don't know they won't ask. I was susceptible to that shyt, and at damn near 40 I still fall susceptible to it.

Last edited:

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
And
I grew up in the hood, but I wasn't in poverty. However I knew folks that knew their kids needed glasses but wouldn't even bother seeing what was available for them because they thought the kids would break the glasses and just would let them go without.

This is why I do think it's important schools teach and provide certain things for kids because a lot kids parents won't or can't. I saw a lot of fukked shyt growing up to other people's kids.

The biggest issue I've learned with the hood is folks simply don't know what's available. And they don't know they won't ask. I was susceptible to that shyt, and at damn near 40 I still fall susceptible to it.
💯

RickyDiBiase

The Health Inspector
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
In case anybody would like to donate. You will be helping out Black children. I am a witness

Gonna drop something down for em. Thanks breh